Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maddies Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2006, 06:53 AM
    15 week old Maltese won't eat after vet check
    Hi everyone as you can see my 15 week old Maltese won't eat anymore after 2nd shots at vets. When l first brought her home from breeder she was eating just fine on Eukanoba. Ever since than its been a struggle tried sprinkiling cheerios on it that worked once than wet her food that also worked just for one meal. Than again heated up her meals, also tried added another brand with her Eukanuba, she's playing games always works just the one time. So bringing her back to vets have her checked out "again". What do l do be firm and stay with her original food and how long do l wait before she eats?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2006, 07:00 AM
    Hi, Maddies,
    She will eat when she gets hungry!
    Do you take her out every day for at least a 45 min. brisk walk? Or, let her out in the back yard, running with her to release some of that energy she has?
    A tired dog will eat after exercising.
    Put her dry dog food down, give her about 30 min. to decide if she wants it, then pick it back up if she doesn't eat it. Later that evening, put it down again.
    I have never heard of a health dog "starving" itself to death, when food is available. She will eventually eat. So, Please don't worry that she is not eating right now. Try some good exercise for her as above, and it will make her hungry. Best wishes.
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Apr 24, 2006, 02:49 PM
    Please be aware that even animals can have a bad reaction to immunizations!! Please research this and call your vet. Your animal might be suffering various reactions that can be caused by her immunizations!

Hypatia
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Apr 26, 2006, 06:16 PM
    Fred brougt up a lot of good points. Long walks will stimulate many things physically and psychologically. One thing you shouldn't do is confuse her with human food. Be steady in her dog food, and like fred said yes she will eventually become hungry enough that she will eat. It's not a vaccination reaction I can say that much though. Trauma from vet visits can knock a young learning puppy of it's feed for a while. It happened to one of my pups in my litter after their 3rd round of shots he was real skiddish but soon bounced back. Be persistent in feeding at certain times. I'm sure she'll be all right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Maltese tear stains [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Does anyone have any suggestions for removing the red tear stains on a maltese? I have tried a product called Crystal Eye by Four Paws but have not had any success. Any suggestions or home remedies?

5 Week Old Puppy won't eat! [ 8 Answers ]

Hello- I was at a flea market last Sat. and an individual there had a box full of puppies, Apparently different breeds and different ages- he professed the age of the puppy I acquired was 5 weeks old, along with his siblings which were about twice the size of this apparent runt. The person was...

Crate training adult maltese [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old female maltese. She has slept in bed with me now for 4 years and has never been crated at all including night time. I am now in a position where I can't have her sleep in bed with me. I purchased a crate for her that is pleanty big for her size, she is about 5 lbs. I've put...

16 week maltese pup wakes up early [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone my pup wakes up at 5:30am barking letting me know she needs to go out of course l let her out to do her stuff than when l bring her in she doesn't want to go back into her crate to sleep but if l lay her on me laying on the couch she will sleep a couple more hours. I know if l bring her...

Maltese that cannot be housebroken [ 1 Answers ]

My son and family received an adorable and very smart little Maltese puppy about 8 months ago. He was about 2 months old then and they only had him about 6 months before giving him to my sons older children and ex-wife due to they just could not get him housebroken. Now after about 3 months my...

View more questions Search