Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kamala55 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Sending Signals into Space
    Sending signals into space continuously into space in hopes of contact a good thing or a bad thing?

If the point is to make contact with aliens that have some capability to intepret these signals/intelligence.

How do we know they will be friendly. Why are we taking this chance? It could be hit or miss... they could be helpful or they could be hostile. Why take this chance? Is the reward worth the risk? Its similar to putting your life's savings on the line and you could lose it all or double it. How many people would be willing to do this? And why is this being done without the public choosing if they want this or not?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Can you give any examples? I don't think that we ever have sent signals into space in the hopes of contact with other life forms.
    Kamala55 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Radio signals
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Looking into it a little deeper, it seems the Cosmic Calls in 1999 and 2003 were aimed at more realistic targets than the Aricebo message, which is the only example I knew of, which almost certainly was not meant as an attempt at communication.

However these messages have been rare.

I think that any civilization advanced enough to engage with us with hostility over tens of light years will have the technology to know we are here, whether we send messages or not. I don't think that sending messages will increase the likelihood of being destroyed. Unless there is a nearby civilization that has overlooked us as primitive beings until now, but beaming high powered messages into space might make them think twice about how advanced we are becoming.

Do others have thoughts on this?
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 06:54 PM
    I agree with Capuchin. The SETI project is all about listening. The great bulk of our signaling is ordinary broadcast--television and radio signals, such as Survivor, Battlestar Gallactica, CSPAN, Red Dwarf (pretty embarrassing stuff on the whole), which we've been sounding out for decades.

If a hostile civilization wanted to home in on us and wipe us out they probably would have got around to it by now, just out of sheer irritation. Or called the Galactic Police to tell us to turn it down. There's no particular reason to think that a civilization advanced enough to get here would care much about us except as a curiosity. They might keep a wary eye on us in case we attacked THEM. :)
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2008, 01:16 PM
    This whole thing fasinates me.I would love to meet someone from another civilization, OK there may be hostiles amongst them out there, but lets face it any being looking in on us wouldn't come within a hairs width of our planet.
    The cruellty towards our fellow man is unbelievable.Parts of our race leave plenty to be desired,we kill and torcher,even let our own people die of hunger,serious diseases for want of sharing... fresh water ,food and alike, we are a very self centred race,an.. I'm all right jack race... no I don't think for one minute any foreign being would want to join us.

However I do sometime think we are being watch, I have no concrete reason for this,but I do believe sincerely that there has to be life somewhere out there, more intelligent life than are own,and how I would love to contact them.

Just think what that might mean for this world... they could have cures for all are fatal deseases... cancer, ms, musc',to mention but a few, and who's to say because of their intelligence that they don't have some way of over coming disabilities.

I know it would take many years to get here but how do we know for definite, we have no idea of their capabilities are brain cannot comprehened such things of that enormaty.

Most of us are in contact with someone who has some kind of serious illness, in my own family we have a gene that picks us off one by one, 5 have gone instantly to date and there's nothing that the medical profession can do, if these beings from another planet have the knowledge to find earth then they have to have a superior brain and with that comes knowledge of all manner of things including medical cures.

I would welcome another life form in our world, although sadley probabley not in my life time...
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan
    This whole thing fasinates me.I would love to meet someone from another civilization, ok there may be hostiles amongst them out there, but lets face it any being looking in on us wouldn't come within a hairs width of our planet.
    The cruellty towards our fellow man is unbelievable.Parts of our race leave plenty to be desired,we kill and torcher,even let our own people die of hunger,serious diseases for want of sharing... fresh water ,food and alike, we are a very self centred race,an..i'm all right jack race... no i don't think for one minute any foreign being would want to join us.

However i do sometime think we are being watch, i have no concrete reason for this,but i do believe sincerely that there has to be life somewhere out there, more intelligent life than are own,and how i would love to contact them.

Just think what that might mean for this world....they could have cures for all are fatal deseases...cancer, ms, musc',to mention but a few, and who's to say because of their intelligence that they don't have some way of over coming disabilities.

I know it would take many years to get here but how do we know for definite, we have no idea of their capabilities are brain cannot comprehened such things of that enormaty.

Most of us are in contact with someone who has some kind of serious illness, in my own family we have a gene that picks us off one by one, 5 have gone instantly to date and there's nothing that the medical profession can do, if these beings from another planet have the knowledge to find earth then they have to have a superior brain and with that comes knowledge of all manner of things including medical cures.

I would welcome another life form in our world, although sadley probabley not in my life time......
    And antimatter weaponry? :rolleyes:
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Anti-matter weaponry... well that's all hypathetical at the moment, but lets hope it doesn't happen, such a huge power source in the wrong hands could lead to our destruction.

Don't know much more about it, other than that...
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 02:03 PM
    I like the fact that most people like to think that were looking for friends in the universe, and if any cantact with an alien race is made your all worried weather they'll be hostile towards us, if any do visit here they will be looking to see if they can live here, which is what were doing, looking for a place that we can live, if there are other species there we will attempt to integrate ourselves with them and see if our species can live peacefully and if not we will attack them, because it comes down to survival, eventually (ok yes it's a heck of a way away) our species won't be able to live in this solar system anymore and we will have to find somewhere to live, and hence we will invade another planet if we find one and if its deemed necessary for our survival eliminate them.
    jrwild62 Posts: 111, Reputation: 2
    -

Sep 8, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamala55
    Sending signals into space continously into space in hopes of contact a good thing or a bad thing?

If the point is to make contact with aliens that have some capability to intepret these signals/intelligence.

How do we know they will be friendly. Why are we taking this chance? It could be hit or miss...they could be helpful or they could be hostile. Why take this chance? Is the reward worth the risk? Its similiar to putting your life's savings on the line and you could lose it all or double it. How many people would be willing to do this? And why is this being done without the public choosing if they want this or not?
    I think the answer is simple. Us humans, or shall I say scientific minded humans, have an over-whelming urgh to know our origin of the universe. Since religion provides absolutely no proof of anything, we are forced to seek a scientific logical answer. One that isn't so far fetched and just plain silly. So we will endless seek contact from anyone who will bother to contact us. This may take centuries for someone the see our signal. But we will never cease to try. It is human nature to know the truth about our being. Just like the subatomic particle accelerated in France. Billions of $ to simply crash to particles together in order to attempt to produce some sort of 'Mass' out of super charged energy. This would make Einstein very happy. We will never cease to know this ultimate question of why we are here. But of course, religion will always try to blow it up, just as in the movie, "Contact."
    fretfast Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2008, 08:00 AM

The first transmitted signals from humans (which, by the way,among them, was Hitler's speech to rally Nazis) haven't even reached the edges of our ow solar system's oort cloud.
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 09:45 AM

Hmmmmm so one of the first signals we could get back might be from space nazis lol
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 24, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fretfast View Post
    The first transmitted signals from humans (which, by the way,among them, was Hitler's speech to rally Nazis) haven't even reached the edges of our ow solar system's oort cloud.
    Not true. You must be thinking about TV signals - it is true that one of the first TV broascasts was of Hitler at the 1936 Berlin Olympics - a point made famous in the movie "Contact." However, radio transmissions have been going on ever since the invention of the "wireless" in 1895. Broadcasting of human voice was first done in 1906. Commercial radio broadcasts started in 1920. So radio signals with human voices, music etc have travelled around 102 light-years, which puts the leading edge of radio signals way beyond the Oort Cloud (which has a radius of about 3 LY), and even past the closest 1000 or so stars.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2008, 11:18 AM

And don't forget,

Voyager has a never ending greeting being broadcast on it's never ending travels through the milky way galaxy.

The Golden Record

Both Voyager spacecrafts carry a greeting to any form of life, should that be encountered. The message is carried by a phonograph record - -a 12-inch gold-plated copper disk containing sounds and images selected to portray the diversity of life and culture on Earth. The contents of the record were selected for NASA by a committee chaired by Carl Sagan of Cornell University. Dr. Sagan and his associates assembled 115 images and a variety of natural sounds. To this they added musical selections from different cultures and eras, and spoken greetings from Earth-people in fifty-five languages.
    mantooon Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Not true. You must be thinking about TV signals - it is true that one of the first TV broascasts was of Hitler at the 1936 Berlin Olympics - a point made famous in the movie "Contact." However, radio transmissions have been going on ever since the invention of the "wireless" in 1895. Broadcasting of human voice was first done in 1906. Commercial radio broadcasts started in 1920. So radio signals with human voices, music etc have travelled around 102 light-years, which puts the leading edge of radio signals way beyond the Oort Cloud (which has a radius of about 3 LY), and even past the closest 1000 or so stars.
    So, in fact all the transmissions, meaning radio, TV, communications etc, are travelling into space?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mantooon View Post
    So, in fact all the transmissions, meaning radio, tv, communications etc, are travelling into space?

Sure. Radio/TV transmissions are radio waves - which means they are a form of light. So just as the light from stars can travel many light years through space, so too can radio waves. Like ripples in a pond - if you have a pond of almost infinite size and drop a stone in it, how far do the waves travel? Astronomers routinely study stars, galaxies, etc at radio wavelengths because their relatively long wavelengths can more easily penetrate through the dust, allowing them to "see" further into the galaxy core. Of course, the further they go the weaker they get - power goes as the inverse square of the distance - and so given the relatively weak signal strength of commercial broadcasts the power level of these transmissions after traveling tens or hundreds of light years is so weak that it is doubtful they could be discerned from the background noise. For example, if there were intelligent life on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri (the nearest star to us after our own sun - about 3 LY away), and they were broadcasting radio or TV using the same technology and power levels as our own commercial stations, it is doubtful that we on earth would be able to pick it up, even using the powerful Arecibo radio telescope.
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    And don't forget,

Voyager has a never ending greeting being broadcast on it's never ending travels through the milky way galaxy.

The Golden Record

Both Voyager spacecrafts carry a greeting to any form of life, should that be encountered. The message is carried by a phonograph record - -a 12-inch gold-plated copper disk containing sounds and images selected to portray the diversity of life and culture on Earth. The contents of the record were selected for NASA by a committee chaired by Carl Sagan of Cornell University. Dr. Sagan and his associates assembled 115 images and a variety of natural sounds. To this they added musical selections from different cultures and eras, and spoken greetings from Earth-people in fifty-five languages.
    I don't believe that it's broadcasting, it just has the record on board - an alien civilization would have to work out how to play it in order to hear the data. (There are very convoluted instructions on the cover, designed so that a civilization with knowledge of fundamental physical constants would be able to play it, maybe)
    Sitkadiver Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Dec 2, 2008, 03:13 AM

I say we should communicate despite any potential risk. Since Earth is essentially a closed system, and if it isn't, then the solar system is, all closed systems fall towards entropy, then someday we as a race will have to leave the planet. So why not start looking for digs now.

Maybe somewhere out there there is a galactic homeowners union that will allow us to become their new neighbors.

Seriously though, what could really turn out to be cool is if the speed of light can be exceeded by some sort of superlominal signaling device. Then think of the conversations we could have! I know there's a great deal of debate, but the recent BBC report sure sounded exciting. I can only imagine what will be learned at CERN in the next couple decades.
    mantooon Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 03:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitkadiver View Post
    I say we should communicate despite any potential risk. Since Earth is essentially a closed system, and if it isn't, then the solar system is, all closed systems fall towards entropy, then someday we as a race will have to leave the planet. So why not start looking for digs now.

Maybe somewhere out there there is a galatic homeowners union that will allow us to become their new neighbors.
    Suppose we find a hospitable planet to live at an other galaxy. How can we ever actually go there?
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2008, 04:19 AM

By space ship/shuttle/ whatever you want to call it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend left because she needed space. Giving her space, but how do I get her back [ 14 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 1 1/2 years broke up with me. She said that she needed space. The reasoning behind this is that she says she just felt unhappy for a while, because of some of my actions. I love her dearly, and I have been giving her the space she has requested. She says that she loves me, but...

Condons used for what signals? [ 4 Answers ]

All Except Three Condons Provide Codes For Amino Acids. These Three Codons Are Used As__________ Signals. A. Speed-up B. Stop C.slow-down D. Go Please Help Me Answer This Im New At This Site!

Guy sending mixed signals [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, there's this guy I've liked for a bit now. He always compliments me and says he wants to hang out. As soon as I make a plan to he some how avoids doing it or cancels. Or some days we'll talk non stop and the next day he won't even say hi. He's very touchy and close with other girls and I don't...

Signals [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Can any one tell me what is the difference between Large and small signal Low and high siganl Flipflop and latch

View more questions Search