Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crdonner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Outlet to Light Conversion
    I have two wooden posts in my backyard and there is an outlet box located on each post that is controlled by a single switch in my house. I removed the outlet box from the first post to install a light instead. I found two wires running into the outlet box. I capped off one of the wires and connected the second wire to the new light. However, the light does not work and, also, the outlet on the second post doesn't work now either. My guess is that I need to somehow connect the capped-off wire to complete the circuit but I'm unsure what I should do with it.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 08:14 PM
    By wires I take it that you mean cables. A wire is a single wire, a cable is two or more wires in an outer covering. Each cable should have a black and a white wire. Connect the two black wires together and add a "pigtail". A pigtail is a short piece of wire. Connect the two white wires together and add a pigtail. Connect the light to the pigtails. This should be a GFCI circuit or the remaining outlet should be a GFI outlet.
    crdonner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Thank you for the information. I hooked everything up this afternoon and it works perfectly. Much appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding light switch and outlet [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my name is Tony I would like to begin with the setup I have in my house, and then ask the question and what I would like to do. First off, in my front entry way of my home, it's approx. 6 years old, so fairly new. I have a set of 4 light switches on the wall, one of them controls outside...

Adding GFI outlet to garage light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a switch that controls the outside garage light and would like to put an outlet next to it. The switch has a black wire and a wite one marked black. So do I just add the switch in to the hot (black) wre then make a "jumper" wire from the white side to the black hot side of the switch, and...

Bathroom light and outlet. [ 10 Answers ]

Recently purchased a new house. 2 bedroom ranch approx 900sqft. The house was constructed in 1955. The panel was replaced by the previous owner. (By a professional electrician) I was a professional Lowvoltage (DataComm) installer for quite some time, so I have experience fishing wires. ...

Can I replace a light switch with an outlet? [ 3 Answers ]

I am not an electrician, but I have had some luck doing smaller electrical work around my house, and I need some advice. I have a house built around 1936. Five of the rooms have central lighting. Four other rooms might have had overhead lights at some point, but if so those lights have been...

Grounding an outlet screwed into a light scocket [ 3 Answers ]

Is an outlet screwed into a grounded light socket grounded? I want to screw an outlet into an exterior light socket, then plug the Christmas lights into this outlet but I want the Christmas lights to be grounded. Is there a way to get around taking off the light fixture and installing a box with...

View more questions Search