Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lizyfishks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Can you convert a propane heating unit to a heat pump?
    My husband and I have a relatively new heating unit but we kept our outside a/c unit. Now our AC bills and through the roof as well as the propane costs :( . We are curious if you can convert our existing heating unit to a heat pump for better energy savings.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Yes you can but it is costly, the outdoor unit and indoor evaporator coil would need to be replaced and maybe the thermostat, Good luck, Mike
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 06:40 PM
    Its not a conversion,, you add a heat pump to your existing furnace,, with a new coil .and tstat ,it replaces your outside a/c unit
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 07:10 PM
    If you have a system that is 3 to 4 years old the evaporator coil may work with a heat pump already. The system I think your asking about is called a dual fuel system. The heat pump will heat your home when the out side temp is 30 degrees and higher . And the furnace will heat your home when the out side temp is 29 degrees and below. It may be as easy as replacing your out side A/C with a heat pump and adding a dual fuel thermostat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How convert Propane water heater into Natural Gas unit [ 7 Answers ]

How to convert an Propane water heater into Natural Gas? I have Whirlpool unit for LP. It has a regular valve with an adapter for LP. If I remove this adapter, will it then work? Is burner the same or needed to be replace? Is valve had to be replaced and will the thread be the same if IO reinstall ...

Convert gas pack to heat pump [ 2 Answers ]

I have an outside unit gas pack with no furnace inside. Everything is outside except for the ducting. I live in Raleigh NC. I am not concerned about the cost savings or labor . Can I convert my gas pack to a heat pump with no mechanical changes except for removal of gas pack and...

Moving a heat pump unit [ 1 Answers ]

Is it difficult to move a heat pump unit to a location about 15 feet away? Is it just a matter of moving the unit and extending the connections, or is there something more complicated about it?

Switch from electric to propane when heat pump dies? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 20 year old Day & Night heat pump. When the time comes to have it replaced, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to get a propane model, and replace my water heater & stove with propane models as well? I currently do not have a propane tank, so I know there would be some cost involved....

Heat pump vrs propane furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Indianapolis, IN area and am building a 92'x52' building with 3 heat elements. I was wondering if the air flow heat pump would be efficient in tis area?

View more questions Search