Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classcindy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 04:03 AM
    Unemployment payments to child support
    I have collected unemployement in the state of NJ for 6 months and payments were applied to my child support obligation .
    I now live in another state - and have filed unemployment again from my recent job where I was laid off. WIll the unemployment payments from this state be directly applied to my support obligation in New Jersey without my consent?

I have not received my first payment from unemployment and would like to know if child support is a direct withdraw thorugh out all the states regardless of the original state that the Child Support obligation originated at .
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 06:56 AM
    I would need to know what state you are in but in NJ they take it directly out of your check, no matter what. If you make 600 and you owe 599 to child support, you get $1. That's maybe the one good thing about living in Jersey is they don't play around with child support.

I do believe it does follow through every state though, as the child support is first filed in a state and then gets put into a nationwide system
    classcindy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Thank you for your reply.
    I am now living in Williamsport PA . I was not sure how out of state unemployment works as they did not ask me anything in the application.

I want to make sure so I stop sending my regular payments in .
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 10:54 AM
    You can always call the unemployment office and ask them. The order will follow you no matter where you move but it isn't known how long it will take to catch up with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support payments [ 1 Answers ]

I was ordered to pay $50 a month for child support that I simply can not afford.if I pay $20 a month for now can I get introuble for not paying the whole $50.will they see that I'm trying to make an effort with what I have to work with?

Child Support Payments [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question on child support payments. My boyfriend had a son with his ex-wife in the state of Texas. She has now remarried and has not allowed him to see his son for the past several years, stating that his son was getting confused having two dads. And for the sake of his son's...

No child support payments [ 6 Answers ]

Here is a short version of my problem. I got pregnant, then I got married, husband beat me and cheated on me, got divorced in Ohio. Well the lawyer said that since I was pregnant when I was married and when I was filling for divorce that My Ex husband was automatically the father. I gave birth at...

Future Child Support Payments [ 1 Answers ]

Three years ago during my divorce proceedings my now ex-husband was ordered to pay spousal maintenance for 5 years and child support until children are 18. He paid on time for the first two years but a little over a year ago he stopped making payments. At the time of our divorce he had a very...

View more questions Search