Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrew2004 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2006, 05:31 PM
    What is a canker sore?
    What is a canker sore
    mcat14 Posts: 14, Reputation: 4

Apr 23, 2006, 07:10 PM
    Canker sores are shallow, painful sores in your mouth. They are usually red or may sometimes have a white coating over them. You might get them on the inside of your lips, the insides of your cheeks, the base of your gums or under your tongue. Canker sores are different from fever blisters, which usually are on the outside of your lips or the corners of your mouth.

Anyone can get canker sores. Canker sores may run in families, but they aren't contagious. Doctors don't know what causes canker sores, but they may be triggered by stress, poor nutrition, food allergies and menstrual periods.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2006, 05:17 AM
    Hi,
    Your previous answer is very good, explains it all.
    At 64 yrs old, having had these canker sores, one of the best remedies I found is UlcerEase, Antiseptic Mouth Rinse.
    You can buy it over-the-counter at any Drug Store, Pharmacy, some Food Stores, etc.
    Follow the directions on the lable, and it should take care of it in a day or two; maybe three.
    Best wishes.
    mcat14 Posts: 14, Reputation: 4

Apr 25, 2006, 12:18 PM
    I just had one about 3 weeks ago and I had it for about 3 weeks - I used the oragel gel for the pain!
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Apr 26, 2006, 10:52 PM
    Canker sores are a type of mouth ulcer. Some of the medical terms used to refer to canker sores are "recurrent minor aphthous ulcers" and "recurrent minor aphthous stomatitis" (thus differentiating canker sores from other forms of aphthous ulcers or aphthous stomatitis). Canker sores are the most commonly occurring type of mouth ulcer.

What causes canker sores?
    The precise mechanism by which canker sores form has not been definitively determined but it is likely that their development is related to a reaction of an individual's own immune system.

Canker sores are thought to form when, for unexplained reasons, a person's immune system identifies the presence of chemical molecules that it does not recognize. The presence of these molecules activates an attack by the immune system's lymphocytes (a type of white blood cell), somewhat similar as when a person's immune system attacks a transplanted organ. The carnage created by the lymphocytes' attack on these unrecognized molecules results in the formation of mouth ulcers. We term these ulcers canker sores.

What triggers outbreaks of canker sores?
    Several factors that seem to be triggers for outbreaks of canker sores have been identified. Any one or a combination of the following items may play a role in the formation of canker sores for any one individual:

Toothpastes and mouthwashes that contain sodium lauryl sulfate.
    Research has suggested that the use of products that contain sodium lauryl sulfate ("SLS"), a foaming agent found in most toothpaste and mouthwash formulations, can be associated with an increased recurrence rate of canker sores for an individual. This may be due to a drying effect SLS has on the protective surface of oral tissues. Once this protective layer has been compromised the tissue underneath is more vulnerable to irritants such as acidic foods.
    Several studies have reported that participants who brushed using SLS free toothpaste found that they experienced a reduction in the total number of canker sores that they had form. This reduction in mouth sores was found to be as high as 81% in one study. In this same study also reported that some of its participants stated that the canker sores that did form were less painful than those that developed during those times when they had been using a toothpaste that did contain SLS.

Mechanical trauma.
    People state that they often recall some sort of physical trauma preceding the formation of their canker sores. This trauma might take the form of a self-inflicted bite, irritation from a sharp tooth edge, or possibly trauma from some type of food such as a crisp chip. 38% of the participants of one study felt that their canker sores were precipitated by trauma.

Emotional stress / Psychic stress.
    Psychological stress has been shown to adversely affect the health of people in a number of ways. Many people who suffer from canker sores report that the appearances of their ulcers coincide with periods of stress.

Nutritional deficiencies.
    Researchers have detected that some people who suffer from canker sores have an underlying nutritional deficiency. Some of the nutritional deficiencies that have been correlated with the presence of canker sores are:
    Vitamin deficiencies: B1, B2, B6, B12, C
    Other nutrients: zinc, folic acid, iron, selenium, calcium

Allergies and sensitivities.
    Allergies to foods and other substances have been postulated as being triggers for canker sore breakouts. Any substance that comes into contact with the person's oral tissues must be considered to be a potential causative agent. If an allergy is suspected the individual might choose to maintain a diary so to help them (and their dentist) identify the most likely candidates associated with the causation of their sores. In some cases allergy testing might be considered.
    Some of the substances identified by researchers as being potential triggers for canker sore outbreaks are:
    Cereal grains: buckwheat, wheat, oats, rye, barley, the gluten protein found in grains
    Fruits and vegetables: lemons, oranges, pineapples, apples, figs, tomatoes, strawberries
    Dairy: milk, cheeses
    Other foods: nuts, chocolate, shellfish, soy, vinegar, French mustard
    Additives: cinnamonaldehyde (a flavoring agent), benzoic acid (a preservative)
    Other substances: toothpastes, mints, gums, dental materials, metals, medications

Hormonal changes.
    Some women have reported that they find a relationship between the presence of canker sores and certain phases of their menstrual period. It has also been reported that a woman may notice a remission of canker sores during pregnancy. Neither of these observations has been adequately documented nor explained by research.
    Genetics.
    Some researchers have felt that they have identified a genetic predisposition for canker sores. One study found that 35% of those persons who experience canker sores have at least one parent who suffers from these ulcers also. Another study found that 91% of identical twins both suffered from canker sores whereas only 57% of fraternal twins did.
    Infectious agents (both bacterial and viral).
    The fact that chemical compounds typically associated with bacterial and viral infections have been isolated from canker sores suggests that bacteria or viruses could be causative agents in the formation of these mouth ulcers.
    Medical conditions.
    Several different medical conditions can be associated with the presence of canker sores (and other forms of aphthous ulcers as well). For those patients who experience persistent difficulties with canker sores consideration must be given to the presence of an underlying undiagnosed systemic disease and the need for an evaluation and testing by a physician.
    A few of the medical conditions that have been associated with the presence of mouth ulcers are: Behcet's disease, neutrophil dysfunction diseases, inflammatory bowel diseases (celiac and Crohn's), and HIV-AIDS.
    Medications.
    The use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), beta blockers, chemotherapeutic agents, and nicorandil have each been reported as possibly acting as a trigger for outbreaks of canker sores.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sore hip [ 8 Answers ]

Any folk remedies, home cures for a sore hip? It is almost certainly arthritic. I walk a lot and do Tai Chi, but it has definitely gotten sorer over last few weeks. Any ideas/diet suggestions on how to minimize discomfort/stop deterioration/heal? Thanks.

Sore breasts [ 5 Answers ]

:( Hi I'm 18 and my breasts have been really sore and tender for over a week now. I thought I might be pregnant but I have had three negative tests, but if I am pregnant I would only be 6 weeks so it might be too early to tell (my doctor said on the phone) My period isn't due - if it comes - for...

No Sore Breasts [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, This may sound like a silly question, but has anyone ever been pregnant and didn't have sore or swollen breasts? How soon does this normally happen?

View more questions Search