Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlmcorvo36 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Need to borrow from my 401 K and withdraw my Ira to purchase a home
    Can anyone tell me if I can do both without having to pay taxes or getting in trouble with
    Uncle Sams. This is my first property, and I need to come with $25,000 for a down
    Payment and closing cost. I have $12,000 in IRA, and $28,000 in my 401 K.
    My 401 K Plan allows me to borrow money up to $10,000, and repay this amount in
    Five or more years.
    How much funds shoud I take from each one, and avoid penalties or taxes.

Thanks

J.Marquez
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 04:46 AM
    Yes, if your plan allows you can borrow from 401K without early withdrawal penalty. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Elective Deferrals 401(k) Plans

You can also withdraw from IRA up to $10,000 to use the distributions to buy, build, or rebuild a first home without paying 10% penalty. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Traditional IRA and Roth IRA
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 06:34 AM
    To be clear - you will owe income taxes on the portion of the money you withdraw from the IRA that is attributable to either pre-tax contributions or tax-deferred earnings, assuming this is a traditional or rollover IRA. There is an exception if it's a Roth IRA, but then there are other limitations- post back if that's the case. Also, before you borrow from your 401(k) be aware that if you were to be unable to repay the loan the outstanding loan amount would then be considered an early withdrawal, which would mean that both taxes and penalty would be due. If you quit your job or were laid off while you still had an outstanding balance you would have something like 90 days to repay the loan, or suffer the taxes and penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1/3 home owner family estate. Can I borrow with home as colatural? [ 1 Answers ]

My brothers and I each own 1/3 of estate property that we want to sale in the near future. Is it possible I could get a loan based on my 1/3 of the estate? With consent of brothers, and how would they be effected?

Withdraw 401K for home [ 4 Answers ]

How do I go about cashing in my 401k to purchase my first home.

401(k) to purchase new home [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering using a small amount of my retirement account toward the purchase of our new home - what are the penalties/ramifications of doing this?

Looking to purchase my first home [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I am in my late 20's and am looking to purchase my first home within the next few months. I have been on my job for 3 years, and I make a decent salary for my age. I ran my credit the other day and it looks as though I owe about $800 on my credit. I recently purchased an 06 Chevy, interest...

View more questions Search