Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adamfp01 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2006, 05:06 PM
    Help in choosing between three fans
    Hi all - new to the forum and have looked around a bit, but haven't found what I am looking for yet. My issue is this: I am getting a new condo that is very urban/loft in design, so I want to install fans to match stylistically. However, with 16 foot ceilings, I also want a fan that is functional and does what I want it to.

I like the Hampton Bay Windward III the best, but I don't want it in all white... I like the Windward II as well, but it does not have uplighting. The Sidewinder in stainless looks great, but I can't find out from anyone if it is as good a fan. The windwards both claim to have 40% more efficient blade design, and claim to be wobble free, and the ones I have seen are both awesome, but is the Sidewinder equally good? I don't want to give up function for form...

Lastly, can I add thermostatic control to the sidewinder with something as simple as a remote? I did not think so initially.

I went to Home Depot and was told "you get what you pay for, so the most expensive is the best." Not a great answer in my book...

Any advice would be greatly apprecaited!

Thanks!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2006, 06:12 PM
    You get what you pay for, so don't shop at Home Depot.

Well, kind of. If you want a quality fan I wouldn't be looking at Hampton Bay at all. The best quality residential ceiling fans have a stack-type motor as opposed to a spinner motor, this would include Casablancas with the XLP motor, Emersons with the K55 motor, and some Fanimations (I forget what their equivalent motor is called). These fans are a bit more expensive but since you have a 16' ceiling I would definitely look into it. Especially as Hampton Bay fans ave a reputation for being unreliable, do you really want to have to keep going up on a ladder?

A second option, since you want a modern look, is to use an industrial fan. These move much more air than residential fans and are designed for high ceilings. The downside is that they're not pretty but they fit in very well in an urban loft décor. Most are not light kit adaptable but some are. Again, you get what you pay for, so make sure you're looking at good quality industrial fans rather than those from home centers. Good brands include Marley, Dayton, Envirofan, Emerson, Leading Edge.

You can add a thermostatic remote to any fan *that does not already include a remote*.

Here are some documents with more information on the points we've discussed so far:

On different quality fans, chosing a fan, and use:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/ceiling-fan-faq.php

On industrial fans:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/i...iling-fans.php

Apr 23, 2006, 06:54 PM
    Awesome - thank you. Cost is a big issue for me - first home, and whatnot, but I will look into what you talked about. It may come down to needing to buy a somewhat lower quality disposable fan to be replaced in a few years... Some of the Hampton Bay ones are around $100. Either way though, thank you very much.

Is addind a thermostatic remote and light kit a do-it-yourself project that a novice like me could accomplish? If not, any rough idea as to what that would run me to have an experienced person do it? I can paint and hammer nails in, but I have never done much eletrical work aside from installing a dimmer...

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2006, 06:58 PM
    Cost versus quality I would *definitely* look into the industrial fans. If they don't work for you, I would see if there are any Hunter models that fit with your décor. Hutners, while not the best fan on the market, are certainly one of the best for the money. There is a third option I would recommend but it is more traditional looking.

If you can install a ceiling fan you can add a remote kit to it.

Apr 24, 2006, 07:48 PM
    Ok - after a bunch of research into pricing, I may go industrial. My question, however, is this... Is there any good online resource about how to add a remote control with thermostatic control to a fan without an existing remote?
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2006, 08:50 PM
    You buy the remote kit, you wire it in series with the fan. It's that simple. No online resource is needed. The only trick will be finding an aftermarket remote with a thermostat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Choosing usa universities [ 3 Answers ]

Dear sir Please suggest me a university in the united states of america .I want to do phd in organic chemistry .I have planned to take GRE TOEFL . My academic percentage is 80% Please reply

Choosing the Right Merchant Account [ 3 Answers ]

I'm opening up a small business and I want to know how to compare Merchant Accounts/Credit Card Processing companies. I want the best service, with the most reasonable rates, and a processor that is trustworthy and experienced. Please provide me with a comparison chart and any other pertinent...

Choosing a thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to change my thermostat to a digital one. Propblem is, I don't know what to get. I don't know to get one for a heat pump, or central heat and air, If they both heat and cool with indoor and outdoor units, how do you know what I have? I have seen some thermostats for 2 stage systems,...

Choosing a router. [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody recommend a good wired router for my home network? I have 3 PCs, 2 WIN XP SP2, 1 WIN 98SE. I also have a Speedstream 5100 DSL modem. I'm thinking maybe firewalled for extra security. So far I've put my eye on the Linksys BEFSX41. ANY suggestions are apreciated. Thank you!! :)

View more questions Search