Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Schelw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Algebra Help Please-Racking the Brain!
    :( If anyone knows how to set this up and explain to me I would be so grateful.

2/3(y-3) = 1/3y

I know to remove the parenthesis, I multiply 2/3 x 3 (which is 2)

so: 2/3y - 2 = 1/3y

Now I know I must combine the y's and change the sign to positive AND THAT IS WHERE I GET STUCK

isn't it: 3/2(2/3)y = 3/2(1/3)y + 2??

then: y=1/2+2

then: y=2 1/2

But the answer in my book is 6
    Please help me find what I am doing wrong.

Thanks so much
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Apr 23, 2006, 05:37 PM
    Hello and thank you for posting your question to the Ask Me Help Desk!

You are correct in distributing the 2/3 to the items in parentheses.

You are also correct in stating that the y variable components must be combined.

You can do this in an easy way by subtracting 1/3y from both sides instead of multiplying by 2/3
    As long as we are fair and do the same thing to both sides we can keep everything equal.

2/3y - 2 = 1/3y
    -1/3y = -1/3y

1/3y - 2 = 0

Now we can add 2 to both sides...

1/3y - 2 = 0
    + 2 = +2

1/3y = 2

Now you can divide both sides by 1/3.

1/3y ÷ 1/3 = 2 ÷ 1/3

This gives us...

y = 6
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2006, 05:35 AM
    Hi,
    As a past 13 years High School Math teacher, teaching Algebra, among other courses, I do hope you will look at your math book.
    The answer before mine is very good.
    There are different ways of solving equations. The math book you have explains, with examples, of how to do it.
    If you still don't understand, please ask your teacher for help. I am sure there are others who don't understand either!
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Hard Drive vs. The Brain [ 8 Answers ]

Just interested in some thoughts here. I am sure that most of us are aware of the way we refer to the amount of information that a hard drive can store. Bytes Of course, it is the Gigabyte we use most frequently now days. It is not uncommon to find a computer that has a capacity of 200 to...

Algebra [ 1 Answers ]

Can you please help me with this algebra problem: find points and slope of the following linear equation: (y+1)= -1/2(x-2) I know the slope is -1/2 Are the points (2, -1)??

Algebra! Help! [ 1 Answers ]

I need help in solving a couple of problems that I am still really stuck with even though I have tried lots of ways of solving it and don't feel that my answers are correct. Please help! I want full detail on each problem so that I can understand how to begin and complete the problems. 1. Solve...

Left brain -> right half of body... [ 1 Answers ]

?? Does any one know the advantage of having the left half of the brain controlling the right half of the body, and vice versa? Thanks for your kind attention. Aragorn_arwen

View more questions Search