Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phkimball Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Wiring light fixture to ceiling fan outlet with 2 switches
    I searched but couldn't find this exact question...

I have replaced a ceiling fan/light with a light fixture. The ceiling fan/light was connected to a single set of black, white and red wires as well as a ground wire. The ceiling fan was controlled by switches in 2 locations. One location featured a separate switch for the fan and another for the light. The second switch location only controlled the light. I capped the red wire and connected the black, white and ground wires to the light fixture. The light can be turned on from the switch that controlled both fan and light but the second switch that previously controlled only the light no longer works. Any thoughts?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 20, 2008, 12:38 PM
    At the light fixture, remove the black wire and cap it off. Use the Red wire as the return wire to the light fixture's black.

Aug 20, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Thanks Don!

Aug 20, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Worked like a charm!
    scottfromBC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2010, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phkimball View Post
    I searched but couldn't find this exact question....

I have replaced a ceiling fan/light with a light fixture. The ceiling fan/light was connected to a single set of black, white and red wires as well as a ground wire. The ceiling fan was controlled by switches in 2 locations. One location featured a separate switch for the fan and another for the light. The second switch location only controlled the light. I capped the red wire and connected the black, white and ground wires to the light fixture. The light can be turned on from the switch that controlled both fan and light but the second switch that previously controlled only the light no longer works. Any thoughts?
    I have the opposite situation... I just installed a fan in our stairwell with a wall switch that control the light and fan separately at the bottom of the stairs (3 wires - black, white, and blue)... Works great... What I forgot about is the switch at the top of the stairs... This switch just has the black and white wires that run to the fan... How do you wire the second switch so that it would only turn off/on the light on the fan? Thanks...
    louigi2374 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2012, 09:46 PM
    Dude got a Q took down celing fan OK .now have 3 wires white red black. Going to put up simple light fixture .the light fixture wires are one white one black I've tried everything lol any suggestions.
    louigi2374 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
    Simple light fix need help OK here we go Took down the celing fan going to put up light fixture now I have 3 wires hangin . Order is 1 white 2 Red 3 black simple fixture has a black and a white. I hooked them up like asked stumped on the red when I hooked it up the light worked and stayed on the switch won't go on or of have a dimmer on it to can anyone help.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Dec 16, 2012, 10:06 PM
    Drop the "dude", we are not teenagers here. Write in complete sentences. What does "i hooked them up like asked" mean?

Assuming that the dimmer switch is a simple dimmer switch and not a fan control switch, connect the white to white, connect the black to black and put a wire nut on the red. If that doesn't work connect the black to the red and put wire nut on the black.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fixture wiring [ 6 Answers ]

Hey everyone -- I'm changing out a ceiling fixture and discovered 7 wires coming into the junction box. 3 are white and wire-nutted together. 2 are black and wire-nutted together. 1 is red. 1 is black. (I stupidly did not note how the original fixture was wired.)

What's the standard height for light switches and outlet boxes? [ 11 Answers ]

It looks like most of the ones in the main part of the house are about 47" to the top of the switch box and around 18" to the top of the outlet boxes. Does it really matter by code or is it subjective? Also, what size wire is recommended for lighting and outlets in a finished basement? 12/2 w/...

Ceiling Fan 4 light fixture wiring [ 5 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan with a 4 light fixture I need to know how to wire the light switch. I have one white wire, one black wire, and one green wire available. The green wire is labeled lights. Thanks in advance.

3 problems: GFI outlet, ceiling fans, light switches [ 1 Answers ]

This morning, my bathroom gfi outlets in all bathrooms won't work. The one with the black trip button and red reset button won't allow me to push the button in to trip/break. Also, I have tripped/reset my kitchen outlets and tripped/reset ALL the breakers in my outside box. Still won't work, trip...

View more questions Search