Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 10:24 PM
    What do you personally make of the last will be first and the first last?
    Parable of the labourers in the vineyard

1. `Now the kingdom of Heaven is like a landowner going out at daybreak to hire workers for his vineyard.
    2. He made an agreement with the workers for one denarius a day and sent them to his vineyard.
    3. Going out at about the third hour he saw others standing idle in the market place
    4. and said to them, `You go to my vineyard too and I will give you a fair wage.'
    5. So they went. At about the sixth hour and again at about the ninth hour, he went out and did the same.
    6. Then at about the eleventh hour he went out and found more men standing around, and he said to them, `Why have you been standing here idle all day?'
    7. `Because no one has hired us,' they answered. He said to them, "`You go into my vineyard too.'
    8. In the evening, the owner of the vineyard said to his bailiff, `Call the workers and pay them their wages, starting with the last arrivals and ending with the first.'
    9. So those who were hired at about the eleventh hour came forward and received one denarius each.
    10. When the first came, they expected to get more, but they too received one denarius each.
    11. They took it, but grumbled at the landowner saying,
    12. `The men who came last have done only one hour, and you have treated them the same as us, though we have done a heavy day's work in all the heat.'
    13. He answered one of them and said, `My friend, I am not being unjust to you; did we not agree on one denarius?
    14. Take your earnings and go. I choose to pay the lastcomer as much as I pay you.
    15. Have I no right to do what I like with my own? Why should you be envious because I am generous?'
    16. Thus the last will be first, and the first, last."
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Aug 20, 2008, 06:29 AM
    James 4:6
    But he gives us even more grace to stand against such evil desires. As the Scriptures say,“God opposes the proudbut favors the humble.”

Also, I think that when He comes back those that were saved most recently will be the first to be rewarded/ judged and those He first saved will be last.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2008, 11:16 AM
    This story is an allegory. :)

The rich, powerful man is god.
    The vineyard is life.
    The poor men are seeking riches.

The spiritual interpretation of the story is that believers make an agreement with god(believe the teachings) in order to spiritually rich(saved)... it matters not that many make the agreement late in life and get the same reward as those who were saved earlier and did god's work all their life. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Choux,
    Well said.
    Fred
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Aug 28, 2008, 12:39 AM
    You may think you are working enough to justify a reward / or salvation, especially compared to others, but it is your relationship with God that matters most.

Agree with Choux, like the one thief on the cross [ Luke ] ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 06:27 PM
    inthebox,
    Thank You,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What move should I make? Or should I even make one? [ 9 Answers ]

I am a high school student. I play on our girl's varsity basketball team, and I have a bit of an interest/crush on a guy from the guy's team. Our practice and game times are normally in tandem. I see him there and occaisonally in school. Recently, I admitted my interest to a friend, and she said,...

Have car insurance / NOT at fault / being personally sued for damages [ 13 Answers ]

I was recently in a car accident. I have full collision and comprehensive coverage through a national car insurance company. My insurance determined I was NOT at fault for the accident. One of the other cars involved in the accident was a rental car. The rental car agency (a local business, not a...

What to make? [ 11 Answers ]

What are some great foods to feed to a two year old. My daughter is so picky that she won't eat hardly anything. Maybe you have some ideas

Personally Responsible for Corporate Debt? Why? [ 2 Answers ]

My brother and I created a corporation (the "Grill") to buy a little bar & grill. 2 years in, my brother leaves the business operations entirely to me, and moves about 500 miles away. ... 5 years pass and I develop chronic health problems. Bob (a long time customer of the "Grill" buys out my...

Copy protecting my personally burned DVD's... [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is possible to copy protect my movies that I burn to iDVD? Currently in Iraq and have some personal movies to burn but operational security is important and I don't want non-military personnel to get hold of them for burning. I also have Toast and was wondering if it is...

View more questions Search