Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maddog72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 07:52 PM
    Taking out a stuck moen single handle shower cartridge
    This shower cartridge is stuck. The house was sitting for 2 years without water pressure. I have taken out other moen cartridges but this one is again stuck. Help!
    Maddog72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Taking out a stuck moen single handle shower cartridge
    This shower cartridge is stuck. The house was sitting for 2 years without water pressure. I have taken out other moen cartridges but this one is again stuck. Help!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 08:10 PM
    O rings swollen. Put knob back on and pull. Get Moen cartridge puller.
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Buy or rent a Moen puller made for cartridge removal. Try reviewing this tutorial Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing the Moen 1224 Cartridge or grab the shaft with a plyer, twist completely around while pulling staright out.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing the Moen 1224 Cartridge You posted twice. I answered on your latest post
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 20, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Hi Maddog...

If can't remove using a pair of pliers or by reattaching the handle and giving it a good yank then you may need to go to home depot and purchase a MOEN HANDLE PULLER... see picture below.

Great device that will take care of this once and for all for you... pick up a little silicone grease while at home depot and grease the o-ring up before reinstalling the cartridge... ;)

MARK
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 03:20 AM
    Hi all...

Apparently Madddog posted twice (see post#1 and #2), got answers at both posts and then someone merged both posts together??

Just wanted everyone here to know I wouldn't repost information AND a picture once others have already posted correct info. and a picture!!

Just so you know... Have a good day all!

MARK
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 04:13 AM
    Well, I would. I always copy you and Bob, only way I can get one right.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 04:53 AM
    I copy you, too... ;) But never in the same thread!

That would just be wayyyyy to obvious... :)
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 09:07 AM
    And I copy you all, Tom, Mark, Bob, Milo, and Harold unless you tell me not to Like Tom says not in the thread, Maddog did you know that all Moen products are life time Warranty as long you are the original owner, if you call their customer service at 800-822-0116 they will send you a new cartridge with the a small plastic tool included, Good Luck.

John
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2013, 08:18 AM

Here's a video that may help someone understand the tool better. Just FYI

Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2013, 07:49 PM
    Thanks Mark good vedio, but it is posted to 4 1/2 years thread can you start a new thread and post this vedio that every body will see it, Thanks.

Best Regards,

John
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2013, 08:25 PM
    I posted to this thread because over 3600 people have viewed it by its title alone since it was posted in 2008 John (see plumbing main page for numbers). By my estimation that suggests that another 5000 will view it by 2017 or so (assuming better than average growth of the site over the next few years).

I also posted it on a question asked by Wdjoe10 today so it will get seen by plenty of people, for sure!
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2013, 08:48 PM
    OK Thanks Mark,

John
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2013, 10:31 PM
    Purchase a Moen cartridge puller and follow Marks video. Good luck. Tom
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2013, 12:05 AM
    Hello Tom,

FYI We are not talking about buying a puller or any other tools I just complemented Mark for his nice video posted how to use the puller, Thanks.

Best Regards,

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Hot Water in Shower - Moen Single Handle Faucet [ 38 Answers ]

I've read most of the questions on this website about this matter, but I'm still confused. I pulled off the handle and wall plate. But what do I do after that? I see a small (4 inch approx.) hole in the wall with a "unit" that looks like a cartridge that holds the handle. I can turn it to hot...

No hot water from Moen Single handle shower valve [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting no hot water from my Moen single handle shower valve. I have plenty of pressure from cold water side. I removed the main handle to expose the valve. The hot water pipe has a small valve with a common head valve stem which I turned, hoping to unblock the valve, but this had no...

Removing handle from a Moen single-handle shower [ 5 Answers ]

The shower is dripping and I am trying to get to the stem by removing the handle. I can see a set screw recessed into the bottom of the handle. I have tried an allen wrench but bent it without any success.

How to remove moen handle cartridge from shower fauct? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: I've got a ten year old Moen Two Handle Tub & Shower Faucet. I've developed a leak, is there a way to remove the 1224 type stem from the faucet? I was able to remove most of the assembly and I can see the stem; but, it's recessed into the flange nipple. The flange nibble appears to...

Moen Single Handle Shower Diverter Leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Moen single handle valve in my bathtub. The tub spout has a diverter on the top to change it to shower mode. Recently I tightened the screws on the cover plate where the handle attaches to eliminate slack which was causing the tub spout to move (and pull caulk away) each time the shower...

View more questions Search