Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meneser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 04:23 PM
    Non custodial parent rights in death of a child he pays support for
    Friend who is non custodial parent - his daughter killed last night in car wreck in MD. What are his rights as to state of burial. Mother moves around. He pays child support to Lancaster, PA, where they did live. SHe wants child buried in SC where she is moving to.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 04:51 PM
    I am sorry for the loss. But the custodial parent normally will have the choice.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 04:54 PM
    He would have to go to court to argue his side but as fr. Chuck said the cp usually decides.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 19, 2008, 04:55 PM
    If he has joint legal custody, he has an equal say in this. If they can't arrive at a decision, then it might need to go to a court or mediator to decide.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by meneser
    friend who is non custodial parent - his daughter killed last night in car wreck in MD. what are his rights as to state of burial. Mother moves around. He pays child support to Lancaster, PA, where they did live. SHe wants child buried in SC where she is moving to.

I've never seen the custodial parent not have the right to make this decision - and I actually worked on a case where the child was cremated and the ashes held until the Court decided.

The custodial (mother) made the final decision.

Right up until the final decision I thought the ashes would be divided - but they were not.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 06:58 PM
    I agree with scott. If they have equal rights to the child legally then its for both of them to decide. Lets just hope it never gets to a point where they split ashs.. to me In my opinion that's just wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal rights as a custodial parent in Florida? [ 7 Answers ]

I have recently gotten married, and my husband is currently in the US Army. I was not married to my daughters father. He has visitation rights Not by the courts, we agreed on it and I have custodial custody of my two year old daughter, and when my husband gets stationed we want to go with him. Am I...

Rights of non custodial parent in a divorce wherein death occurred to custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

Non custodial non US citizen parent (father) lives in Mexico. Custodial parent of two minor children (5 years old and 1 year old) is US citizen in Illinois. Divorce papers named father but set forth no requirements or terms for visitation, child support etc. There has been little if any contact...

Custodial Parent allows child to live with non custoial parent [ 8 Answers ]

Can the custodial parent allow a minor child to move in with the non custodial parent? Can this be done with out a court order, if both the custodial & non custodial parent agree on the conditions or do they need to file with the court?

Visitation rights for the non custodial parent [ 1 Answers ]

In Texas if the non custodial parent does not want to have visitation can a judge make them have visitation.

Child support/custodial parent moves in with boyfriend [ 5 Answers ]

I just got ordered by court to pay $200 a week in child support for my one daughter. Now I find out from my 9 year old daughter that her mommy's boyfriend has been living with them and now are moving into other house. He is paying for everything. My question is can my child support be...

View more questions Search