Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sideshow Bob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Replace existing A/C unit or upgrade to R410A-using unit?
    Our A/C unit is slowly going on the fritz: struggling to provide cool air, now the 2nd time this summer. Technician came out to the house and suggested we remove the current unit, which uses R-22, and replace it with one that uses R410-A since the R-22 is getting forced out anyway.

Now my understanding, based on a few threads I've read here, is that starting in 2010 I won't have a choice, since any newly-manufactured A/C unit will no longer be allowed to use R-22. But that's 16 months from now.

So... ignoring the issue of what's better for the environment, would it not be simpler and cheaper (at least in terms of upfront costs, which is important to me) to simply yank out the old A/C unit and put in another that uses R-22, before the 2010 deadline? It isn't clear to me I guess how much work and $$$ is needed to swap out an old A/C unit for a new one, if both are based on the same R-22 technology.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 11:21 AM
    R-22 refrigerant will be around for a long time so service will not be a problem. R -410 is the new kid on the block and it is the wave of the future.
    R-410 unit will probably cost a bit more to buy and install since the copper line set might have to be replaced due to oil compatibility problem from R-22 to R-410. Now some say they just flush the lines so that is a toss up also.

I have R-22 used in all three of my units and I took the steps to stock replacement outside condensing units so when they fail I can just replace the outside unit. (I like to keep spare parts around LOL)

The final discission is up to you and I would search Google and this board for other opinions.
    Sideshow Bob Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Hvac,

Thanks for your thoughts. I will Google around for more input, but regardless of what decision I make, what are the important questions to be asking of any contractor that I would hire to do the job? I have read that proper installation is critical for performance.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 03:03 PM
    what are the important questions to be asking of any contractor that I would hire to do the job

Call some of his customers to see if they are happy. (have him supply the numbers.)
    Call the BBB to see if he lied and how many people are unhappy with him.

Other than that it would be a lot of technical questions and I do not believe you want to go there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace or repair air unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 23 yr old Lennox forced-air furnace and air condenser. The air-conditioning stopped working. Public Service diagnosed and said the fan motor is shot. They told me that a new motor would be impossible to get given the age of the unit. They then quoted me $6500 to replace the air unit...

Should I replace the entire H&A unit [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old American Standard heat pump. It has leaked freeon and has been running on empty for probably over a month. We have a separate system in the other part of the house that has been trying to make up for the heat loss. The impaired system has been blowing cold air. I have had...

Need Service Center for AC/Heat Unit with R410A [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a service center that can work on an ac/heat unit that requires R410A freon in it. I am in LaGrange Illinois. Thanks

Replace furnace and ac unit both? [ 1 Answers ]

The repair person was here to look at my AC unit. It needs an a- coil and the since the unit is 8 years old he suggestion I might want to think of a getting new unit. If I do decide to get a new unit, do you think I need to also replace the gas furnace. Thanks for any guidance.

I need to replace a capacitor on my unit [ 7 Answers ]

I had some one work on you unit and he cut a blue wire that I know is to the heating part. I have a new capacitor but I don't know where to put the wires I have an orange, red and yellow wire and I need to know where they go. Herm, c. and fan. Please help

View more questions Search