Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shell 1111 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 04:22 AM
    Difference between a midwife and OBSTETRICIAN
    Hi

I am 21 weeks pregnant and everything seems to be going OK apart from at my 20 week scan they noticed the baby's kidneys are dilated more than normal. I have been asked to see an OBSTETRICIAN is this normal? Are OBSTETRICIAN more qualified than midwives, should I be more worried than I already am?

Shell
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 05:37 AM
    Shell... you're in the UK, correct? While most women only need to see the midwife for pregnancy, sometimes a consultant or obstetrician will be seen if there is more of a concern. Because of your scan results, they are having you see someone who would take on more high risk pregnancies. This does not automatically mean there is a definite problem, it is just a precaution to make sure everything is covered that should be.

In the US, most women see obstetricians for their pregnancy, as that is the norm. Some women prefer to see a midwife. Some obstetrician offices will have a midwife or two practicing with them so families have a choice.

Generally, obstetricians tend to have more experience in high risk pregnancies, but plenty of midwives do as well. However, when a midwife has a high risk pregnancy, they are often then referred to an obstetrician. Obstetricians also perform c-sections, where midwives do not. Some feel obstetricians are more prone to using interventions, and midwives less so, but I have seen it both ways.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 19, 2008, 08:17 AM
    A midwife, is someone trained to assist in a delivery. Not sure if its different where you are, but I don't think they are trained in pre-natal care or where there may be complications. Generally a midwife is not an MD, but more like an RN.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    A midwife, is someone trained to assist in a delivery. Not sure if its different where you are, but I don't think they are trained in pre-natal care or where there may be complications. Generally a midwife is not an MD, but more like an RN.
    ScottGem, they will provide pre-natal care in the US as well. Midwives are trained in all aspects of taking care of women through pregnancy and birth. The main difference, is that midwives tend to see fewer women with high risk pregnancies; the women would then usually be referred to an OB, and midwives do not do c-sections.

Even though it is the norm in the US, in the vast majority of births, an OB is not really necessary, but will always be available should the need arise. Most women in the UK never see an OB... midwives take care of everything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No midwife or Dr at a home birth [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: Someone I know had a home birth and there was no midwife or doctor present... the mother still hasn't gone to the doctor or taken the baby to the doctor (the baby is almost 2 weeks old now)... (I know this is insane, but she is the type of person who doesn't believe in modern...

Birth Certificates for home births with NO Dr or Midwife? [ 1 Answers ]

I know someone who had their baby at home with NO doctor or midwife involved. Can she apply for a birth certificate in FL? Are there any test that need to be ran before applying? How does this work? :confused:

Age difference [ 3 Answers ]

First of all, Hi to all, my first post Let me see how to start... We are both from europe, different countries Me and girfriend meet 2 yr ago in club, I was back then 19 and she was 25, I was going with my brothers ID (him being 23 at that time and we look the same) We were dancing and then...

Obstetrician Preparation [ 2 Answers ]

If I want to become an obstetrician, what will I have to major in in college and will I be able to do like job shadowing or something similar while I'm in college?

Difference between mp3 and mp4 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference between mp3 and mp4 and vcd and dvd

View more questions Search