Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RosieJ74 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2006, 02:05 AM
    Mood Enhancement
    I am overstressed and was wondering if anybody had any suggeestions about an alternate to anti-depressants/anti-anxiety medications.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2006, 04:32 AM
    Hi, rosie,
    I am not a Doctor, nor a professional in this area. I am just a 64 yrs old male, married 29 yrs, with experiences in every day living... some not so good.
    Since I don't know the extent of your "overstress", I can only suggest something in general.
    Leaving time for yourself, everyday, in a quiet place, is sometimes what I have done. Taking a ride by myself, parking by a stream, or other peaceful setting, just looking at the beautiful wonders of nature has helped me.
    I sometimes get things back into perspective by just listening to nature, and all the beautiful surroundings nature made.
    I have learned that only I can put stress on me; nobody else can. They can try all they want, but I only feel stress when I let it get to me. I choose today how I feel.
    My daughter takes Lexapro, 10 mg, and it helps her very much. Married, with a 9 yr old, both she and her husband work full-time, causes her some anxiety sometimes. I do wish you the best, and hang in there; it will get better.
    RosieJ74 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2006, 11:21 AM
    Thank you for your response
    Jbear Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 26, 2006, 03:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RosieJ74
    I am overstressed and was wondering if anybody had any suggeestions about an alternate to anti-depressants/anti-anxiety medications.

St John's Wort is a herbal remedy for depression and anxiety. You might have to take it for 6 weeks before you notice a real change. It may also make you more sensitive to sunlight.

Please see this disclaimer

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/stjohnswort/#cautions
    Mr. Curious Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jul 1, 2006, 04:34 AM
    My Doctor started me on Lexapro(10mg) a week ago and, so far, the only thing that kicked in are a couple of anticipated side effects. I'm hoping the living with the minor side effects are worth the results. Supposedly I won't reap any benefits for 2-4 weeks. Do you know how long it took your daughter to notice the full effect of Lexapro?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 1, 2006, 05:21 AM
    Simpllfy some things... go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time, eat on a routine schedule, get some fresh air like Fred said at a certain time each day. These things tend to not be so routine when anxious or depressed which, if left to slide out of control, adds to the problem too. Wouldn't hurt to take periodic mini "breathing" breaks too, where you close your eyes and just focus on deep breathing and being, nothing else, for three minutes. In in in through the nose, ouuuuuuuuut through the mouth. Afterwards, stretch like a cat - they know what they are doing!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 1, 2006, 05:47 AM
    I walk every day to a pond and watch nature, exercise does wonders for the attitude (that and grand kids) I'm either happy or sleep! ( or on this askme help desk forum-NO cure for it ):cool: :D
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2006, 07:18 AM
    Hi, Mr Curious,
    I am not sure how long it takes for the effects to be noticeable.
    It's been some time since she started taking it, and lives with her family, in a different town.
    Probably a couple of weeks, just guessing.
    Call your Doctor and ask for sure.
    Best of luck.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 1, 2006, 07:26 AM
    I love everyone's responses here. I just have to add: Not only going to bed and waking at the same time, please avoid alcohol if you drink it at all. Alcohol can add to the stress of everyday life and it will also cause sleeping problems which will increase the feeling of stress.

Also, for those of you discussing medications for stress, whether prescribed or herbal, it takes approximately 6 weeks to notice the full effects of the medication.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 2, 2006, 03:34 AM
    Get a professional massage. That always makes me feel great. Most massage schools run student clinics at certains times of the year. At the school from which I graduated you can get a full 1 hr massage for only $10. You can't beat a deal like that. I'd also highly recommend acupuncture. :)
    teachermama3 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Aug 28, 2007, 10:28 PM
    I have been reading a lot about a new mood enhancer called Sam-e. It has been used in Europe for many years, and claims to be as effective as an antidepressant. It can be purchased over the counter at your local pharmacy. I bought some, but haven't began taking it yet. They also say that it doesn't have all of the negative side effects of traditional antidepressants. The only drawback is that it can get relatively expensive. You might want to check it out. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mood Swings [ 6 Answers ]

I would like all of your opinions. Mood swings during pregnancy? For this last part of my wife's pregnancy. The last month or so. It has been a losing battle. Does not matter what I say, doesn't matter that I try to talk to her in a way that Calm, relaxed and easy going. Yet, she is very rude...

What's with the mood swings? [ 6 Answers ]

For the past 4-5 years I have these changes with my mood and can't really figure out why. For a few hours I'll get really hyper, have a lot of energy, and be really happy. Then there'll be times when I just feel like hiding out in my room and crying, felling like no one wants me around and that...

Mood rings [ 1 Answers ]

How do mood rings work? I know someone who actually thinks they're powered by witchcraft! I say it must be a chemical reaction to the heat of a person's body or the atmosphere. Is it chemical, and, if so, what is/are the chemical/chemicals used?

View more questions Search