Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    royalredneck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 08:36 PM
    Employer doesn't calculate hours correctly
    Hi

I just started this really nice job in a small business that has been in business for 20something years. My boss seems to have difficulties adding up minutes/hours. She insists she knows what she's doing since she has been doing this for so long. Well my paychecks are at least an hour short. I tried to talkto her multiple times with no results. She also just changes timecards without filling us in. I work flexible hours on hourly pay and I was supposed to work 4.5 hours and ended up working 6 hrs so she just scratched out 1.5 hrs. I live in California.

My question is:

Can she do this? Where do I go for help? And what would be the best approach?

Thanks
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2008, 08:44 PM
    If you are an hourly employee she can't do this. Try to talk to her one more time. If it doesn't work, speak with her boss. If no one of authority will correct these errors then you need to contact the state labor department.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 08:46 PM
    You can report them to the state dept of labor, or sue them in small claims court if they refuse to do it correctly
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 20, 2008, 05:02 AM
    Royalredneck...

You said you, "started a really nice job"... so would be a shame to see it go bad because of this.

If you put it exactly like you did above... the 4.5 hrs. you were supposed to work vs the 6 hours you did and fact that 1.5 hours was missing from the check then I am sure this person would be glad to fix the error.

If not, then you should not be working any hours that exceed the hours you were supposed to work OR this is not such a nice place to work and I think you should be seeking employment elsewhere and you should report them to the state dept. of labor as suggested by jjwoodhull and fr. Chuck.

Just my thoughts on it... ;) Good luck...

MARK
    lwelch Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

Aug 23, 2008, 05:23 PM
    In a diplomatic way, ask her why she scratched out the hours? Is the company having financial problems where she is only allowed to pay you for 4.5 hours. I would open the lines of communication and see what her expecations are about when you are on the clock. If you are really happy working there, hopefully you can resolve the situation peacefully.
    lmiller-wood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 10:13 AM

Anyone doing payroll is not allowed to change any time without proper authorization.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to know if I have done this correctly? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to prepare a classified balance sheet for a construction company at December 31, 2009 based on the following data: Accounts payable... $ 74,300 Accounts receivable... 113,500 Buildings... 512,000 Owners’ equity, 1/1/09... 314,300 Cash... 153,600 Distributions to owners during 2009......

Doesn't find me attractive, doesn't want sex with me, isn't sure he wants a relationship [ 14 Answers ]

Please read this, I need your help I'm 18 and so is my boyfriend I've been with him for 10 months and for about 5 months he's telling me he's not ready to commit and isn't sure he wants a relationship.and at points he's said he wants to feel he can do stuff with other women should the situation...

4 way not working correctly [ 10 Answers ]

Purchased a house and the 4 way not working. Figured that someone miswired one of the switches and when I checked the boxes this is what I found. Box 1 at bottom of stairs has 14-3 and 12 -2 BX cable. Power into this box. What is confusing in this box is that someone attached a bare copper wire...

View more questions Search