Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kccheif Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Can you file bankruptcy on a student loan in the amount of 200.000
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2008, 03:25 PM
    No, student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.
    Cailleac Bhuer Posts: 31, Reputation: 1
    -

Aug 18, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kccheif
    can you file bankruptcy on a student loan in the amount of 200.000
    If it is a governmental student loan, then no, you cannot, you have to ay the minimum of $50 a month until it is paid off once you are longer an enrolled student in the higher education level.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Please disregard the 50 dollar min, the min will depend on the total amount due and the interest rate, in many cases 50 dollars a month would not even cover the interest.

But no in almost no cases will a bankruptcy be discharged in a bankrutpcy
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Please disregard the 50 dollar min, the min will depend on the total amount due and the interest rate, in many cases 50 dollars a month would not even cover the interest.

But no in almost no cases will a bankruptcy be discharged in a bankrutpcy

Exactly, the vast majority of student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy and there is no minimum you pay that keeps the debt collector away from your door - simply not true.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loans [ 2 Answers ]

I have Canadian/Ontario Student loans that have been "sold" to debt collection agencies. I had somenegative experience with them (they were really rude when I wasn't paying) so I stopped taking their phone calls. Now they are threatening legal action. What is the statue of Limitations on this...

Student Loans [ 2 Answers ]

My total monthly bills add up to more than I make, now that my student loans have come out of forebearance. I really want to start paying them down but cannot afford the $160/ month they require. Before this last time I went on forbearance, I offered to pay $50 per month and the student loan...

Student Loans [ 14 Answers ]

I plan to move out of my parents house at the onset of this June. I plan to have a job by the end of June until mid August when I will relocate again to campus which I will attend for the next four years. I intend to enroll full time. Is there a way that I can do all this and get a loan for $20000...

Student loans [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a student loan that has been in collection for a few years. He is VERY irresponsible with money, and has not made much headway in paying it off. Does anyone know if a student loan can be cancelled after a certain amount of years, or would he have to file for bankruptcy to get rid of...

View more questions Search