Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zhjlxp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2006, 01:45 PM
    Do I really need to pay my tax from May 1st, 2006.
    I came to USA with a H1B visa in May, 2005. Someone told me that person with H1B visa doesn’t pay the state and federal taxes at the first three years. But the director of Human Resources in my center told me that I will have to start paying federal and state taxes on May 1st. Can you help me and tell me what shall I do? Do I really need to pay my tax from May 1st, 2006? :confused:
    Thanks
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Apr 21, 2006, 02:40 PM
    Your HR director is correct. You are a resident and must pay taxes on your worldwide income.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2006, 07:55 PM
    I agree with TaxSearcher's assessment IF you have no worldwide income.

If you have worldwide income, then you should file as dual-status tax return. This is one of the rare instances where filing dual-status may save you money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sunset nov 4, 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

What time does the sun set on November 4th, 2006 in jacksonville fl?

World Cup 2006 [ 32 Answers ]

Now that the first round is over, we on the 16th round. I would LOVE for england to win it.. I'm a BIG fan, have always been, but their football tactics surprise me sometimes (but not in a good way :mad: ). Who do you think will become world cup champions 2006? Or you do you think will play...

Tax filing for 2006 [ 5 Answers ]

Hi: My husband and I came to the US on Sept2000 with an F1, and travel to Costa Rica (CR) every year for 20-30 days in dec/jan.Been filing married filing separate 1040NREZ as advised at my University.No treaty exists with CR so each of us only claim the standard deduction ($3200 for 2004).I will...

2006 Bmw R1200rt [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for the best price on a new or demonstrator 2005-2006 BMW R1200RT motorcycle. I want to know if someone can tell me what dealer invoice is on one. It's a great bike, but, I do want to save as much as possible when I purchase it. Looking... Will

Who is most likely to win the 2006 world cup? [ 9 Answers ]

Well my team is Argentina but I can't help to see what a team Brazil has come up with in this world cup. First let me add that anything is possible and even ghana can win(not likely). Anyway, I think Brazil has the best team ever possibly made. Their defense consist of Cafu, Cicinho, Edmilson,...

View more questions Search