Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flygrlmo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Accidents for dogs in the house
    Hi,

My 13 year old Dalmatian is happy and youthful yet sometimes lately she will just piddle or poop inside, right in front of me, even when she has just gone out side, or the doggy door is always open?? Help
    BlakeCory Posts: 236, Reputation: 21

Aug 26, 2008, 05:41 PM
    The average life expectancy of a Dalmatian is 10 to 14 years. If this is a new problem it could be a sign of something else. I have bred many different breeds and normally when they get older the have a harder time moving around and that has resulted in a few accidents. Since you said she is still youthful this may not be an issue for you. If there has been any change in her diet (or something she found) that could also be the cause.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Aug 27, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Check out a disorder called Canine Cognitive Dysfunction on the web to see if she is showing any other signs... It's a type of "doggy Alzheimer's" where older dogs seem to become confused. There is a medication for it that can help if this is her problem and it is not too far advanced. At her age a change in behavior like this warrants checking in with her vet.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Aug 27, 2008, 08:59 PM
    I think both the other 2 answers are good.
    Anytime you have a change in habits such as urination or BM's it can be an indication of a medical issue. I would schedule a vet visit and have a senior blood panel completed. It could be nothing or it could be liver, kidney, thyroid, behavior, or a number of other issues.
    Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is having accidents in the house [ 2 Answers ]

My dog Laycee is about 4 years old. We just got her about a week ago from the SPCA. She's a really good dog. We got her spayed last week and now the last couple of days she's started pooping in our spare room on the carpet. How do I curb this behavior? I'm not open to rubbing her nose in it...

Dogs/cats in house fire [ 2 Answers ]

Here is a kit that can be ordered for free from the ASpCA.ASPCA: Free Pet Rescue Sticker I have these stickers on both the front and back door of my home. The reason for writing this post is there was a fire on my street today. These people owned a cat... the house 30 feet to the left has a dog....

Cat having accidents in house [ 1 Answers ]

So, I am at my wits end. We took in a stray kitten last summer. She is now about a year old. For the first 6 months things were fine. Now for some reason she is peeing in the house. She has some kind of leather fettish - she has peed on the leather couch and on the beanbag chair. We removed...

Dogs urinating in the house at night [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 dogs 8 yrs old that urinate in the house at Night. They have a doggie door and they use it all the Time during the day. I can never catch them urinating. I rub their noses in it after the fact. But it does no good. Please help!

My 10wk old pug puppy is having accidents in the house (m) [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking him outside at least every hour or two, and will crate him if we can't watch him. We have had him for 11 days and he has had several "accidents" in the house, and we always take him outside when he is caught in the act. I have been cleaning the spots with pet cleaner, so...

View more questions Search