Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobsmith12079 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Wrongful garnishment in fulton county ga
    I found out today that I have a regular garnishment from the State court of fulton county. This garnishment is based on a FIFA that was filed in 2005. The FIFA was given because the court gave a default judgment against me. They gave a default judgment against me because the court says it never got my answer to a lawsuit filed. I proof that the reply was sent it time. My answer was that this case was filed in the wrong county. The plaintiff then did file in the correct county, Cobb County, and after 2 years we did settle and he was paid. My lawyer said he would take care of the FIFA in fulton county, and told me the plaintiff could not collect on it. Well my lawyer never did and now the plaintiff got a garnishment on me. THe bank has already taken money from my account. What steps do I need to take to get the garnishment stopped and the FIFA removed? Please Help? The amount of the Garnishment is $38K.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsmith12079
    I found out today that I have a regular garnishment from the State court of fulton county. This garnishment is based on a FIFA that was filed in 2005. The FIFA was given because the court gave a default judgment against me. They gave a default judgment against me because the court says it never got my answer to a lawsuit filed. I proof that the reply was sent it time. My answer was that this case was filed in the wrong county. The plaintiff then did file in the correct county, Cobb County, and after 2 years we did settle and he was paid. My lawyer said he would take care of the FIFA in fulton county, and told me the plaintiff could not collect on it. Well my lawyer never did and now the plaintiff got a garnishment on me. THe bank has already taken money from my account. What steps do I need to take to get the garnishment stopped and the FIFA removed? Please Help? The amount of the Garnishment is $38K.

You already have an Attorney involved - it was his job to take care of this from beginning to end and this includes this problem.

You can submit all of info to the Court (including the various orders, dismissals, new orders, record of payment) but I would go directly to the Attorney. He has the advantage of having all the paperwork and knowing the law.

Aug 19, 2008, 06:37 AM
    I don't really like the lawyer for letting this slip by, and have told him to file a traverse and will have a court date.

The problem I found out is that according to the people at the garnishment desk is that the paintiff has an old paper that gave him the default judgement. This judgement was later vacated, because he had to dismiss the case in fulton county to file it in cobb county. However with the default judgement paper he has gone and gotten this garnishment, and the people at the garnishment desk told me that once I get this cleared up he will be able to come again with that paper and file another garnishment because they don't check their computers. They will never check to see if that default judgement is valid. My lawyer has also confirmed this saying he can keep coming back and doing this. My lawyer believes he won't do this again, but this guy is crazy and I know he will. How do I stop him from continuing to do this?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 07:37 AM
    However with the default judgement paper he has gone and gotten this garnishment, and the people at the garnishment desk told me that once I get this cleared up he will be able to come again with that paper and file another garnishment because they don't check their computers. They will never check to see if that default judgement is valid. My lawyer has also confirmed this saying he can keep coming back and doing this. My lawyer believes he won't do this again, but this guy is crazy and I know he will. How do I stop him from continuing to do this?
    You sue HIM. Get a judgement against him for YOUR damages associated with this! If you have all the proof that he is not justified in setting up these garnishments and he continues to knowingly do it I believe you'd have a slam dunk case against him.

Aug 19, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinmommy
    You sue HIM. Get a judgement against him for YOUR damages associated with this! If you have all the proof that he is not justified in setting up these garnishments and he continues to knowingly do it I believe you'd have a slam dunk case against him.
    I would, but it would be a waste of my time. I know he has no assets on the books and any judgment against him would get me nothing except wasting my time and money on my lawyer. Is there anything I can do criminally? I am thinking of talking to the DEA since he is using a default judgment that is no longer valid.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 08:08 AM
    I would, but it would be a waste of my time. I know he has no assets on the books and any judgment against him would get me nothing except wasting my time and money on my lawyer. Is there anything I can do criminally? I am thinking of talking to the DEA since he is using a default judgment that is no longer valid.
    I would certainly talk to anyone and everyone who would listen and/or have the answers you need about how to proceed. There's NO question that what he's doing is wrong. I don't know if it's criminal, or not.

I would go back to the "garnishment desk" and find out who they report to. Get as high up the chain of command as possible and let them know that this won't be tolerated.

Also, if you did sue him I would think at the least (in addition to a judgement) the judge would be very clear with him, and ORDER him to stop filing garnishments. Then if he violates that it should be contempt of court or something.

It's tricky. Crazy people are hard to deal with. It makes navigating the already frustrating and confusing legal system that much harder because their behavior is unpredictable.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 19, 2008, 08:14 AM
    If he is using a vacated judgement, then he may be guilty of fraud. Check with your local DA or prosecutor's office.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

County to county probation transfer [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend and her children live in another county. I am on felony probation in the state of Florida with a "drug package". I work from home in a rural area as a freelance graphic designer and web developer and there isn't really a lot of work in this area for that. Currently I rely on contacts...

Fulton County-Garnishment [ 6 Answers ]

I have paid 10K in 10months for a garnishment, I only owe $1400. I want to pay it out but Fulton county has been holding $6K in an escrow account since Feb only forwarding $3600 to the creditor. If I pay it owe they will continue to garnish my check, how do I stop the garnishment because even...

Garnishment in a different county [ 1 Answers ]

I owe back sales taxes in Georgia from a previous business that closed 12+yrs ago. I live in one county where the state filed the levy looking for bank accounts. They recently filed a garnishment in the same county that I live against my employer. The problem is that my employer is in another...

Do I need a license to become a Talent Agent in Fulton County Georgia (Atlanta)? [ 2 Answers ]

If so, where do I go to get it, what are the requirements, and how much does it cost? What are the specific functions of a Talent Agent? I know what they do, but I have not a clue of how.

2 months and have not received Fulton [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a Fulton 2 months ago paid in full. The store said that they did not have it in stock but will call when they receive it. He said about 1 week. I go there today to ask about the fulton and was told they have not received it and told me that he said he would call me when it came in. I told...

View more questions Search