Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amermonstarsgir Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Sleeping problems, not sleeping, insomnia
    Hi this is the first time Ive ever been on this site seems to be very helpful. My boyfriend has been taking prescription ambien for about 7 months and his new doctor took him off that and gave him other sleeping medications but he does not sleep at all now. Maybe one or two hours a night and that's it even with the sleep medications. He has had about 4 different types of sleep medications and still not sleeping. Any advice? He can't take off work any more because he has used so many days to see the doctor. So he is going in to work with an hour or so of sleep. Please any advice will be appreciated!
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2008, 09:52 AM
    He needs to go back to his GP and explain the situation.

Was there a reason why he was taken off the previous sleeping aid ?

Obviously he needs some help to get through this bad patch, hopefully your GP will see this and perscribe something new for him to try.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Try melatonin sublingual pills. You don't need an RX and they are not habit forming as melatonin is a natural amino acid your body produces that lets you sleep. As we get older our bodies make less and less of it. Sleeping pills are not natural to the body and the body soon becomes "immune" to them, not to mention the cost is astronomical. Melatonin sublingual pills are inexpensive by comparison, not habit forming, and definitely not harmful or have harmful side effects like sleeping pills.

I have posted info on melatonin pills on this site previously. Please use the search feature to read the other posts. There is also a book by a medical research doctor called The Melatonin Miracle. Well worth a read. You can get the book on Amazon for little money.

Aug 18, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Thanks for your help, I'll find some of the melatonin sublingual pills for him to try. Hopefully that will work. Anything is better than taking sleeping pills. There are so many serious side effects with any of them plus the huge cost even with insurance. He could probably get sleeping meds from his previous doctor but the reason he left that practice is because we live in a small town and this doctors office is getting a bad reputation for getting people hooked on prescription medicines and we are not like that at all so he changed doctors. We'll definitely try that. Thanks so much for your advice.
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 02:25 PM
    I've been taking melatonin for quite a while now and I have no side effects or addiction. If you want to get a good night's sleep, may I suggest that you try the melatonin also?

There are so many doctors out there now who just keep writing rx's for unnecessary medications and getting as many people hooked on these drugs it's frightening. Glad to hear that you and your boyfriend are not taken in by that doctor.

Aug 19, 2008, 06:17 PM
    He bought some of the melatonin in a liquid form and is trying it. Hopefully this will help him sleep some. Is there a difference in the liquid and pill form? We didn't see the melatonin sublingual pills but something called melatonin sleep aid in liquid form. It looks like cough syrup. He used it last night and seems to be in a little better of a mood today so I think he got some sleep but still not a full nights sleep like normal sleepers. Im not sure if it takes a day or so to get in your system or if he is still having problems from being prescribed so many different sleep aid pills.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 19, 2008, 06:49 PM
    I never used the liquid, had a lot luck with the pills when I used to work nights and had to sleep days. Most natural food and natural health stores should have it
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 06:51 PM
    Here is the link for the melatonin that I take. You use 3 pills under your tongue. These are 1mg each so if you don't get to sleep within 1/2 hour take one more pill under your tongue.

Melatonin 1mg Sublingual-Peppermint

That company ships very fast also. Have used them for several years.
    sweety Posts: 77, Reputation: -1

Aug 25, 2008, 11:05 AM
    The doc shouldn't have taken him off sleeping tablets just like that as they have withdrawal symptoms and are highly addictive,he needs to see his gp,and explain his situation and the gp should reduce his dose slowly wean him off the medicine then substitue it if needed
    Sreesh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 07:29 AM
    What's a gp?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sleeping problems [ 2 Answers ]

My son is almost 2 and he used to sleep straight through the night from 7:30pm to about 5am up until about 6 moths ago, he now goes to bet at 7:30pm and wakes up at about 12am and then calls for me or his dad and hen we struggle to get him to sleep again. He is in his own bed in his own room so its...

Restless sleeping/breaking the habit of sleeping on the bed [ 2 Answers ]

Our little shih tzu (8 months old) started well, but more recently has taken to sleeping under or on our bed. We took the path of least resistance and let him get away with it, but his constant licking, nibbling, flicking his ears around and general sleep noise is driving us nuts. Any tips for...

Sleeping Problems [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I am not sure if this is a Medical Condition or not... and I know it's not a disease... but does anyone have any explanation for why I swing my arm as when I sleep? I'll give a brief example... When I fall asleep and I'm actually sleeping... My body will act on it's own and my arm will...

Sleeping problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm just wondering every time I go to sleep and I had turned o my alarm clock I wake up seeing that my alarm clock is off and I find strange and random scars or bruises when I wake up I'm a 15 year old guy trying to figure out what's happing with me?

View more questions Search