Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hommegrenouille Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Attaching window wells to foundation
    Hello,

I need to attach some metal window wells to my foundation and I have some questions about how to do this.

How far should the wells extend beyond the window frame? I was told to use shield anchors, but I am afraid of breaking the concrete if I drill too close to the window opening.

Second, my window well doesn't have holes for the bolts. I guess I'll have to make them myself. How many are usually needed?

Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 08:50 AM
    You well should be large enough to extend10-12" on each side of the actual opening. That gives you plenty of room to drill or use Tapcon screws.
    WWPierre Posts: 78, Reputation: 4

Aug 18, 2008, 12:17 PM
    You shouldn't need many attachment screws. 2 each side and 2 on the bottom. (I assume there are flanges) The backfill will hold everything in place.

Have you considered the drainage implications?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 01:55 PM
    I wouldn't even bother, due to the cooregation the soil effectively holds it in place. I would, though seal it against the house.

What I don't like is that any hole is a breach of the foundation and any holes below the ground line become an entry point for some water.

Since cinder blocks are hollow, you can't put screws everywhere. I have used a stud finder to find the hollow sections without trouble. The usual stucco makes it difficult to figure out where the cinderblock boundaries really are.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 04:59 PM
    I guess we would be able to narrow this down if we knew what your foundation material.
    hommegrenouille Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Thanks for your help, everyone. I installed them yesterday using 1 1/4" tapcon screws (the foundation is poured concrete). The windows are very long (48") so I couldn't find a well big enough for a large gap on either side.

The windows are only 16" high and are oddly low on the wall. The tops of the windows are about 4" below grade in some areas! The wells I used to replace the old ones are only 22" deep and only go down to the level of the bottom of the sill. I'm thinking of "doubling up" with another well using rivets to extend them further down. At the same time, maybe just filling the pit, which goes down about 6" below the sill, with gravel will be enough?

I have drains in each well connected to my foundation drain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water pressure, wells [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 120' deep well. The bladder tank is good. Just replaced the pressure switch. The house water is okay but when I turn on the outside water hose, all water drains from the bladder tank and the water runs out. The pressure switch runs the pump constantly till it gets hot and shuts...

Wells fargo took money out of my savings [ 2 Answers ]

[B Wells fargo took my daughters money out of my account and it was her income tax money for a car loan that is late and didn't ask me first from my savings account which is also my over draft protection. Can they take other folks money out of my account and my veterans money ?/

Wells and pumps [ 2 Answers ]

I have a couple questions and I am not sure the answer too. Maybe someone can help me please! How do I tap into an existing well with another pump in other words how to run two pumps off one well?:eek: The reason is because I have a couple rental properties and I have one well to one pump that...

Basement window wells [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought an older home. The basement has some moisture. I want to improve the grading around the house. But the basement window wells are concrete--about 4 inches deep (see pics). I'm not sure what I should do with them. Any advice is appreciated. I'm thinking of replacing the windows...

View more questions Search