Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaidenzesmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Can he just give up rights and not pay support
    My daughters father wants to give up his rights and not pay child support I was just wondering if he can really do that? I think he should at least have to help support his daughter even though he doesn't want to be part of her life in other ways I'm a single young mother tryn to finish school so I don't have much at all in way of money. I live in Indiana so I don't know if they have different rules on things
    margarita_momma Posts: 299, Reputation: 46

Aug 18, 2008, 09:47 AM
    It doesn't matter if he gives up his parental rights. He still has to pay child support, he just won't be able to make any decisions when it comes to caring for and raising the child. Tell the dead beat he is SOL! Lol. The only way he could legally stop paying is if you got re-married and your husband wanted to adopt the child. I live in Texas so the rules may be a little different there.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 18, 2008, 09:58 AM
    I moved this question to the Family Law forum where it belongs. There is a sticky at the top of this forum that deals with this issue. There are also hundreds of threads that ask the same question.

The laws vary from state to state. Some states do end child support when rights are terminated others don't. But NO state will grant a TPR just to allow the parent out of support. Getting a TPR is very difficult. Generally they are only granted to clear the way for adoption or if the parent is danger to the child.

So, you can tell him he can try and get a TPR, but that it will not get him out of paying support.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Ok here's the scoop on Indiana where I am from too and know it is this way. Child support does stop if a TPR is granted. However, if you don't want his rights terminated then there is no option for him too you would both have to agree on it then convince the judge to sign off on it. So all you have to tell him is that you won't go along with it. He can try to file if he wants but all you have to do is show up and say you don't want it to happen and it won't. That dosen't mean he has to be invonlved with the child he just has to send his support to Indianapolis each week and they will leave him alone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Can I give up Parental Rights but still pay child support? [ 42 Answers ]

I got a girl pregnant 4 years ago (my biggest mistake ever). We agreed she would get an abortion but due to her health situation she was unable to get an abortion (so she says). I don't understand why because she said she had one 5 months earlier. We were never a couple it was just casual sex which...

Wants to give up his rights and not pay child support before having the baby [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I have a question. I want to have a child with someone but he told me that we have to sign papers before we try to conceive so that he doesn't have to pay child support or be apart of the baby's life can that be done.

Do you still have to pay child support if you give up your rights to a child? [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend found out he had a child last summer. The child was already six months old when he was told it was his. My boyfriend had a one night stand with this woman. He didn't and still doesn't even know her. One day she just saw him driving and called out to him, raising the child into the...

He wants to give up his parental rights in order to stop child support payments [ 12 Answers ]

3 years ago I dated a guy who was is in the army:( and got pregnant and had our daughter on June 4th 2006. I thought he would be here for me but it turns out he was married. His wife had no idea and I didn't either. After not hearing from him for 6 months he called and said that he had been...

View more questions Search