Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alex0826 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Trying to upgrade old 8 wire thermostat to new digital
    Hi, I thought this would be a breeze since I build computers, looks like I was wrong :confused: I took the old thermostat apart to expose the wires and noticed that in the instructions, there is no mention about 8 wire hook ups? Don't know what I'm doing at this point, and from what I can figure, some wires have to be combined or excluded, because the new digital thermostat doesn't have as many connections? I bought the Hunter 44260 and I have the
    Carrier 4.0AQ030300BB
    Volts 208/230
    w/aux heat

I hope my blabbering didn't make this any more confusing...
    Thanks for your time.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2008, 08:58 PM
    When you take the junk(hunter ) tstat back where you got it,ask for a good honeywell tstat that will do what you need,, if its battery operated,you can do away with the common/c post,also if your system operates on 1 transformer,you can jumper the r/c and r/h which should be red (hot) wire and you have done away with 2 of the wires,now all you have to hook up is 6 wires,, goodluck
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 01:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alex0826
    Hi, I thought this would be a breeze since I build computers, looks like I was wrong :confused: I took the old thermostat apart to expose the wires and noticed that in the instructions, there is no mention about 8 wire hook ups? Don't know what I'm doing at this point, and from what I can figure, some wires have to be combined or excluded, because the new digital thermostat doesn't have as many connections? I bought the Hunter 44260 and I have the
    Carrier 4.0AQ030300BB
    Volts 208/230
    w/aux heat

I hope my blabbering didn't make this any more confusing...
    thanks for your time.

Here is some reference when you get a better/correct thermostat.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Older%20systems%20and%20base%20signals%20on%20newer%20ones.pdf (21.4 KB, 994 views)
  2. File Type: pdf heat pump wiring.pdf (13.3 KB, 848 views)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upgrade our 2 wire thermostat to digital? [ 36 Answers ]

We have a thermostat that only has 2 wires, red and white coming out of the wall, and we want to change it to a digital thermostat with slots of W2, G, E, Y, C, B O, R or we also have a unit that has slots W1, G, Y, C, B, O, R So my question is this: Are we able to use either of the 2 new...

Need to upgrade my Weathertron Model #3AAT80B1A1 to a digital thermostat. [ 2 Answers ]

I am curious if anyone would be able to help me with some suggestions on what type of digital thermostat would be compatible with my 8 wire set up to replace my Weathertron which has completely died. So I do not have heat at all, and not sure what type of thermostat I should get. Anyway any help...

Need to upgrade my Weathertron Model #3AAT80B1A1 to a digital thermostat. [ 1 Answers ]

I am curious if anyone would be able to help me with some suggestions on what type of digital thermostat I should get to which coincide with the 8 wires on the weathertron Model #3AAT80B1A1. No sure what to do the old thermostat won't even work now either, so any help would be great. Thanks ...

How do I wire in a digital thermostat? [ 13 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question. How do I wire in a digital thermostat as my current thermostat's (Nordyne 914832) wiring is y g r o w2 c and I purchased every model Home Depot had (up to the $8x.00 ones) and when I tried wiring up the way the instructions said I had either (depending on which model)...

How do I wire in a digital thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

My thermostat wiring is y g r o w2 e c .the new wiring is c g y o/b rc r aux e l . Can someone tell me how to wire it. I'm trying to wire in a honeywell digital thermostat. Model rth7400 my current therm is a nordyne 914832. Please help

View more questions Search