Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eliz2f Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 09:16 AM
    DTV converter box
    I have a TV on my back porch that works with rabbit ears.
    I have sat inside house. I received coupons for converter box but store tells me I will need an outside antena. Says will not work with rabbit ears. True or false?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 09:34 AM
    If you are not using cable then yes, you will need an outside antenna.

All signals are switching to Digital from Analog. The converter box will take the digital information and convert it back to an analog format for your TV to use.

Different signals requires a different antenna.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2008, 09:39 AM
    False.

You may need a matching transformer between the converter box and the TV to convert the coax connector to twin lead. Depends on the TV.

The converter box generally only provides a coax output, Rabiit ears typically twin lead. Your TV has what for U and what for VHF? Are any stations going to use VHF in your area?

There can be a couple of glitches depending on the area in which you live though. Most DTV channels will be UHF (now 13+), however in some areas there may be a channel or two that will use VHF (now 2-13).

There were all sorts of ways that were used to conncet U/V antenna's to TV's.
    1: Screw termnals for UHF and screw terminals and screw terminals for VHf.
    2. Coax for VHF and screw terminals for UHF.
    3. Single coax for UHF and VHF.

There is a particular matching transformer available for each configuration.

Adding matching transformers adds some signal loss.

If you have weak signals, then an antenna may be necessary because DTV is not tolerent of snow. It either works or it doesn't.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Donf:

I don't agree with your responses. Not ALL areas are switching to DTV, but for all intents and purposes, your response is correct.

Those that live in cities very close to a transmitter won't have a problem with rabbit ears. If there are snowy channels, you may loose them.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 09:48 AM
    I understand about the matching transformer. But I ask you, why would you want a pair of rabbit ears on your back porch over a reasonably large high gain antenna, which does not have to be very large to begin with?
    klahue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf View Post
    I understand about the matching transformer. But I ask you, why would you want a pair of rabbit ears on your back porch over a reasonably large high gain antenna, which does not have to be very large to begin with?
    A bigger antenna does not necessarily mean a better signal, by the way KeepItSimple would be absolutely correct :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HD Converter [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know any good software to convert SD (Standard definition) video formats to HD (High definition) video formats? What are the new HD video formats?

Dtv converter [ 3 Answers ]

I have a TV in my suburban . Will a dtv converter need external power . If so what ?

Converter [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any other websites to convert videos for psp?

Mp3 to wav & Wav to mp3 converter [ 2 Answers ]

Can any body tells me where I can find the free full version of Mp3 to wav and wav to mp3 converter. Thanks..

View more questions Search