Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slvrtrixter Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Bankruptcy and fema money
    I never got to sell my house and pay off credit cards. My house was destroyed by flooding. With no flood insurance my damages are more than house, I still owe the mortgage and have decided to file bankruptcy. Fema mailed me a check for $11,000 for house repairs when they knew the house wasn't going to be fixed. I sure need rent assistance. Can I cash this after bankruptcy and pay rent? Do I tell my lawyer?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by slvrtrixter
    I never got to sell my house and pay off credit cards. My house was destroyed by flooding. With no flood insurance my damages are more than house, I still owe the mortgage and have decided to file bankruptcy. Fema mailed me a check for $11,000 for house repairs when they knew the house wasn't going to be fixed. I sure need rent assistance. Can I cash this after bankruptcy and pay rent? Do I tell my lawyer?

NEVER lie to your Attorney, particularly about your assets when you file in bankruptcy.

I don't know what FEMA knew or didn't know but if the check was for damage repairs and you use it for another purpose you can be criminally charged.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 12:18 PM
    If you have a check for 11,000 it has to be included as part of the list of your money on hand. You are allowed a certain amount of property and so on. Or of course you can just prepay your current rent for 6 months or so if you want to spend down part of that money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishipment money in bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

My friend in Detroit, Michigan filed,and he was able to get back 3 months of his money . Are the laws the same in Florida. I just filed 3/31/08, and if so what is the statute so I can research it.

Bankruptcy attorney died, what about the money I paid him? [ 1 Answers ]

I was making payments to my bankruptcy attorney for him to represent me and file my bankruptcy. After 10 months of payments, he unfortunately died. How do I get that money back from his practice so I can go to another attorney? PLease help.

Director of fema [ 4 Answers ]

Who is the diector of fema

How I spent money before bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

.. no one answered so removed question not impressed to be honest

View more questions Search