Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rsimp4444 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Building Capitalization vs Expensing
    Over the last 3 years I have been renovating a building I purchased. In 2007 I finally am running my business out of this building. Over the last 3 years I have paid real estate taxes, insurance, mortgage interest and utility bills. How do I handle each of these items on my tax return? Can I assume that each of these items can be capitalized and added to the basis of my building or should I have expenses them on the last 3 years tax returns. Does anyone know how I should handle each of these individual items on my 2007 tax return. Thank you so much for your help.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Only improvements are capital expenses. Property taxes, insurance and utility bills are not capital expenses. Expenses for a year must be reported in that year.
    Also all expenses before start of the business are expenses that must be amortized. Now the amortization period is 180 months. The period starts with the month your active trade or business begins.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 07:48 AM
    There IS a provision in the IRC that allows amortization of pre-start expenses over 60 months (five years) vice 180 months (15 years).

However, that option MUST be taken in the first tax return filed by the company. You cannot go back and amend for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Expensing Inventory [ 4 Answers ]

Can you expense inventory as soon as it is received even though it is still setting on the shelf and has not been used? What happens at the end of the year when the my MRP system states I have a million dollars worth of inventory? Is this legal?

Capitalization when filing [ 1 Answers ]

When do you file capital names? Before or after? See example DOE, JOHN Doe, John

Expensing loan proceeds [ 1 Answers ]

Have a line of credit for a small business- have brought in the cash into the checking account and recorded the draw amount under liability on the balance sheet. Client wants the P & L to reflect a reduction in the expenses. I cannot figure out the other side of the equasion if I credit expenses...

Expensing Supplier Invoices [ 1 Answers ]

We are a distributor of office products. We buy from the wholesaler and sell to the end-user. When we invoice the end user freight charges are entered as a cost of sale and the customer therefore receives free freight. When we expense the supplier invoice, however, we have been expensing...

View more questions Search