Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dragonfire24 Posts: 105, Reputation: 3

Aug 17, 2008, 04:21 AM
    Making jpegs into smaller sized files.
    I just got back from vacation and I had taken plenty of pictures with my digital camera.

I need a program that will help me edit these pics. Something to help me Crop, resize, and convert to another format or smaller sized jpegs. Right now these pics are way too big at about 2.5mb. I would like to put some online and that's just too big of a file size. I used to use Lemkesoft's Graphic Converter years ago when I used my iMac and I haven't found anything comparable to that on PC.

What programs could I use for PC? Freeware is ideal right now, cause I'm kind of broke lol. :D
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 17, 2008, 04:58 AM
    There are numerous programs available that will do this job well.
    This should give you something to be going on with: image resize - Free Downloads on ZDNet | Shareware, Trialware, Evaluation Software

Aug 17, 2008, 05:13 AM
    Thanks Curlyben. I figured I would check out Fotosizer out of the programs there. It only resizes them but that is perfect for now. Not to mention it does them in batches, so I can do all 150+ vacation pics at the same time, which saves me time.

Back when I was still using my iMac I was kind of spoiled with Graphic Converter. Maybe I need to get it up and running again lol
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 06:56 AM
    IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

Irfanview I've used for almost 10 years now, it does everything you want including "batch" resizing... it will take an entire folder of pictures and resize them to your specifications, then give you a whole new set at the new size, or replace the originals ones permanently, your call.

Top Prize for me is IrfanView since it is such a powerful, free program.

Aug 17, 2008, 07:10 AM
    I can see why you like IrfanView. It just looks like there is so much to it and it goes beyond just simple image resizing.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Yea, but image re-sizing is about 3 clicks give or take including opening and saving.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Aug 17, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

Irfanview I've used for almost 10 years now, it does everything you want including "batch" resizing....it will take an entire folder of pictures and resize them to your specifications, then give you a whole new set at the new size, or replace the originals ones permanently, your call.

Top Prize for me is IrfanView since it is such a powerful, free program.
    Ditto on Irfanview. It's the one piece of software I really missed when I went from Windows to a Mac.

PLEASE don't resize the originals. I am often asked to salvage a photo where someone resized over the original and then later wants an enlargement print. Unfortunately, there is very little we can do in that situation - the enlargement is not nearly as good as it would have been if we were working from the original file. Your original files are your digital negative. Disk space is cheap, DVDs are cheap. Keep un-edited copies of your original files - always. I have 2 1-terabyte external drives - just bought one for under $200 at Costco. I have over 100,000 photos archived on my external drives, with backups on DVDs.

For the OP: Use the batch process in Irfanview to make smaller copies to upload to the web, then once they are uploaded you can delete the SMALLER copies. You can always make more later on if you need them again, with Irfanview this is fast and easy!
    Software Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire24
    I can see why you like IrfanView. It just looks like there is so much to it and it goes beyond just simple image resizing.
    Yes, program itself does go way beyond that in capabilities. But for me, I use it 90% for superfast image resizings, including batch resizings (everything down to 10% original size is my most common batch).

The other 10% is cropping pieces out of pictures and screen shots, and it has a built in screen capture capability that is phenomenal since it can capture an entire screen, or just the active window. I usually just need the active window.

Anyway... you got my vote.

Aug 18, 2008, 04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdill
    Ditto on Irfanview. It's the one piece of software I really missed when I went from Windows to a Mac.

PLEASE don't resize the originals. I am often asked to salvage a photo where someone resized over the original and then later wants an enlargement print. Unfortunately, there is very little we can do in that situation - the enlargement is not nearly as good as it would have been if we were working from the original file. Your original files are your digital negative. Disk space is cheap, DVDs are cheap. Keep un-edited copies of your original files - always. I have 2 1-terabyte external drives - just bought one for under $200 at Costco. I have over 100,000 photos archived on my external drives, with backups on DVDs.

For the OP: Use the batch process in Irfanview to make smaller copies to upload to the web, then once they are uploaded you can delete the SMALLER copies. You can always make more later on if you need them again, with Irfanview this is fast and easy!
    I can understand that. That is how I feel about Graphic Converter when I switched from my iMac to a PC. That program did pretty much everything I needed it to do at the time. I used it so much during a demo of it that I had to buy it. That was back with OS9 so I don't know how much it changed today, although I know they still have a classic version of it. I still have my iMac and I am thinking of taking it apart and cleaning it out and setting it back up just so I can use it again. I used to play around a lot with Flash and there is still some animation that I wanted to finish up, which is another thing I was using Graphic Converter for.

As far as keeping original copies of my pics, I had already figured I would do just that. I have a bunch of blank CD-Rs so I have plenty of space for my pics. I actually want to have some of my pics printed out so I may take my Sd card into a CVS or something this week to get some prints. I have a lot to go through though. I took about 170 pics during my vacation last week. That's why I asked this question, cause I want to put some of my vacation pics on my website. I went to Eastern State Pennitentiary in Philadelphia,PA on Tuesday and Spent Thursday and Friday in Ocean City, Maryland and I have some nice pics that I want to put up.

Aug 18, 2008, 04:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    Yes, program itself does go way beyond that in capabilities. But for me, I use it 90% for superfast image resizings, including batch resizings (everything down to 10% original size is my most common batch).

The other 10% is cropping pieces out of pictures and screen shots, and it has a built in screen capture capability that is phenomenal since it can capture an entire screen, or just the active window. I usually just need the active window.

Anyway... you got my vote.
    That's not even including the plug-ins. But it's good to hear that I can use it to crop photos too. I used Fotosizer to resize the first batch of pics and it worked really well and pretty quick too. I may need to crop some when I put them online so I will probably check out Irfanview when I am ready.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Aug 18, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire24
    I want to put some of my vacation pics on my website.
    Irfanview - batch mode. It's fast, powerful, will do exactly what you need.
    Software Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdill
    Irfanview - batch mode. It's fast, powerful, will do exactly what you need.
    Sounds oddly familiar...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jpegs that will not open [ 4 Answers ]

I am sending jpegs but the recipient cannot open then. What is the Matter? Because I have not gone over the size limit... :confused:

Making several binary files into single file [ 1 Answers ]

We have software which stores data into multiple binary files. We want to combine all those file into single file without compression so that end user will not be confused with several files but be comfortable with single file. We want to know how to make several files into a single file and how to...

Making Files Downloadable... How? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok guys, first off I really appreciate anyone helping me out with my question ;D 1- How do I make files open for the public to download on the internet? 2- Are there any free programs out there where someone can use to browse a file on their computer, select it, than send to me by email? ...

Making several doc files into a single file [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have several word 97 doc files. I wd like to make them all into a single file. Is there an easy way of doing it instead of doing manually inserting each file into current file? 2. Can MP3 files be compressed? Thanks for the reply. Ramdas ?

View more questions Search