Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Miter Saw Blade Size
    I'm intending to buy my first miter saw for replacing hardwood flooring (termites), can envision adding crown molding down the road, and am leaning toward a 12 inch Bosch 5412L. The tool comments on Amazon and elsewhere seem to favor 10 inch saws as being more accurate (and cheaper!). So, my noob question is why can't a 10 inch blade be put on a 12 inch saw to combat deflection in specific circumstances?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 08:58 PM
    I doubt that the downward motion of a 12" miter saw can be adjusted enough for a 10" blade to to cut completely through the wood. I also doubt that you will have enough deflection in a good 12" blade to notice.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 16, 2008, 11:06 PM
    I should go look at the saw in a store then. Do you consider the stock blade a good blade, or are you referring to replacing it with a Freud, Forrest, or other?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 17, 2008, 12:26 PM
    The stock blade, the one that comes with the saw, is pretty cheap, good for cutting 2x4s. I use the Diablo made by Freud for crown and trim. Good blade. I have a couple Forrest but they are for the table saw, great blades but expensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrench Size for JD GT245 Mower Blade? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Folks, Can anyone tell me what size wrench to use to remove the three John Deere GT245 mower blades. It is close to 3/4", but that size is a bit large. 11/16" is a bit small. Could it be 18 mm? Also, I am supposed to turn the bolts Counterclockwise, right? :) Thanks for your help. ...

Sharpening a miter saw blade [ 9 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to sharpen a 10" miter saw blade? Is it easy to do? Or is it easy to mess up :) Kind of on a tight budget so would like to avoid buying a new one if I can. Thanks!

Miter chair railing [ 2 Answers ]

How do you miter chair railing

Cut off saw----Miter saw [ 2 Answers ]

Can you put a metal wheel on a miter saw to cut metal without destroying your compound miter saw. I understand that the sparks will cause problems to the plastic guards. But is there any other problems associated with doing this. I have a 12 in Craftsman. I want to cut metal. But I hate to buy a...

View more questions Search