Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daxcor7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Old files showing up now
    I used to download 'adult' files from the net... I have not done so for over a year... just today I found a folder titled 'metadata' and in it was several 'adult' titled files.

Does anyone know where this metadata folder would have came from?

It seems to be common with P2P file sharing programs.

All th files are corrupt or only a fragment as they will not open. So I am guessing that this is some left over fragments

Any help would be appreaciated
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2006, 12:42 PM
    Sounds like XML files. Safe to delete.
    daxcor7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2006, 01:26 PM
    Yes they are all .xml files

My questions is more concerned with 'why are they still on my computer'?

I may have downloaded these files originally, but I have since deleted them. Could they just be some left over fragments or partial downloads?

Maybe they were partial downloads that I didn't realize I had and was inadvertently sharing with others on the same P2P network

Just baffled by this discovery...

Thanks again
    zippygeek Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2006, 03:45 PM
    You have discovered an old metadata folder. If you have deleted the completed files, then there is a good chance that these xml files are only tracking the partial file. I have found a lot of these files to be corrupt and some can contain a bug or two. You say you deleted the originals, I would suggest you delete the xml files as well. Strange things can happen with xml files and file sharing progs. They always seem to be re writing one another every time there is an update. A lot of the file sharing progs cross reference the xml file data.

Don't worry about being baffled. It is amazing how many things that we think we delete but in reality there is almost always a trial of bits and pieces.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2006, 05:12 AM
    HI,
    Have you ran Spyware and also Virus scans? In SafeMode?
    There is a good chance, whenever visiting or downloading from most "adult sites", that your computer might be infected.
    The following site contains some very good information and steps, about getting rid of, or checking for, Spyware and Viruses:
    Cleaning a Pest-Infested Computer

I am not sure if your computer has been infected, but if you haven't done the above, then it's really worth the effort to check it out. Best of luck.
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jan 30, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Make sure your temp dirctories are all deleted too

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord showing apartment while occupied [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is legal for a landlord to show an apartment while it is still occupied. I have satisfied my lease and am moving in 30 days. She keeps giving my telephone number to people who are calling me wanting to view. I told her to stop so now she is going to just show the place...

CD-ROM not showing [ 3 Answers ]

I just cleaned up an older PC for a friend of mine. The last thing I ran was CHKDSK. Now the system doesn't want to recognize the CD-ROM. It has been working fine and if you insert a CD, it lights up like it is reading it, but the CD-ROM won't show up in either My Computer or Explorer. Any...

WIN98 not showing up on Network [ 12 Answers ]

I am trying to network a XP and a 98SE computer using a router. Both get on the net just fine and the 98 see's the XP with no problem. For the life of me though I can't get 98 to show up on the network. Anyone got any clue's? Thanks for your time. :confused:

Hard Drive not showing up [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I recently unpluged 1 of the IDE cables that was attached to one of my hard drives as I needed to attach my friend hard drive to transfer data from him. I have to do this as I all ready have 3 hard drives installed on my PC + a dvd writer Any way I have just re-attached my hard drive and it...

Nba live 2004 crack files/patch files [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me find the crack and patch files on nba live 2004. I badly need it co'z I don't have a cd rom which is needed to play. You may send it to my email add.>Removed<

View more questions Search