Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 03:51 AM
    This is the reason why we cannot compare the issue of illegals with american and the tiny isle I come from :-

This thread seems to be drifting towards comparing my tiny island of Malta with the mighty empire of the United States of America as regards illegal immigration. Helloo….. is that extreme or what!

Malta is one nation, one race with a civilization dating back millennium. The USA is an empire of 52+ nations and countless dependencies, has the most multi-cultural society on the planet with a civilization going back 200 years (my apologies to the indigenous people).

Malta has had the honour of being part of the Atlantian, Phoenician, Carthaginian, Roman, Arabic, Crusader, French and British civilizations. The Americans destroyed the only civilization they came across.

Malta is united by Christianity. The Americans are divided by multi-religious belief .

The Maltese have integrated with great peoples and triumphed. They are still Maltese, still a nation and have preserved the ancient ways. Integration with the latest African and Arab 'guests' will strike a fatal wound into the heart of Maltese culture, and the Sacred Island herself. Integration in America, legal or illegal, will make no difference and add more 'colour' to the empire.

The Maltese rose against the Arabs and the French. They fought side by side with Crusaders at the breach of Fort Saint Elmo in 1565 and with Britons on the Bastions of Valletta in 1940. They must now rise again in 2006. The time for words and writings is over. It is now time for action. Be united and forget all differences. Attend all legal demonstrations and corner-meetings. Work hard at work, at home and in the media to spread the word.

Final Victory!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 23, 2006, 04:15 AM
    I think the solution to this problem lies in the question "What are they running from?" And from how widespread this "illegal" thing has become it must be pretty bad where they come from to risk everything to leave. Some times those of us who live relatively good lives can not imagine the horrors that less fortunate of the world have to go through. I can not blame them in good conscious for running to safety and salvation.:cool: :(
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 04:34 AM
    I think its obvious what they are running away from when our illegals come from places like North Africa, and Arabia.

They come in boats that include 50 men and 1 women... why??
    I can answer that, because if it came with a boat full of just men 90% of the time we wouldn't let them in, but because there is 1 woman they have to let them all in otherwise we would bed called sexiest.. now wouldn't we?

Their intentions are not genuine ones, they are running away so that they can sponge of us citizens while they lead a holiday makers life.. and to some extent give us a bad name when they rape and abuse people
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Comment on Stormy69's post
    Totally!!
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 23, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krs
    I think its obvious what they are running away from when our illegals come from places like North Africa, and Arabia.

They come in boats that include 50 men and 1 women... why???
    I can answer that, coz if it came with a boat full of just men 90% of the time we wouldnt let them in, but coz there is 1 woman they have to let them all in otherwise we would bed called sexiest.. now wouldnt we?

Their intentions are not genuine ones, they are running away so that they can sponge of us citizens while they lead a holiday makers life.. and to some extent give us a bad name when they rape and abuse people
    I hope you realize that your statements in reference to the immigrant situation of your country are difficult to assess and might come under suspicion of fabrication because you do not provide any specific geographical location that would make verification of your statements possible.

Sorry about thec above statement since you did mention Malta a while back.
    Will investigate the matter a bit to verify your claims if possible.
    Expert

May 23, 2006, 12:55 PM

They come in boats that include 50 men and 1 women... why???
    I can answer that, coz if it came with a boat full of just men 90% of the time we wouldnt let them in, but coz there is 1 woman they have to let them all in otherwise we would bed called sexiest.. now wouldnt we?

And you've seen all this with your own eyes or is that what the papers say HMMM... Got any racism on Malta?:cool: :rolleyes:
    -

May 23, 2006, 01:25 PM
    I quote very well a famous parable as told by Christ himself. In fact, when Jesus made the comparisons, he did not compare such Samaritan with another guy who took the victim home. On the contrary, the Samaritan was the best compared with the other two.

True, the Samaritan helped the man out and didn't take him home because to help this man out didn't require that he take him home since the man was obviously able to care for himself AFTER he regained his health. If the man Samaritan could only offer help by taking the man to his home he would have done so until the man could get on his own two feet. I don't see the message here of "Help him but if it means taking him home leave him there to die." How you reach such a conclusion from what Jesus said is very hard to understand since Jesus was speaking of being compassionate to the best of our ability and at no time did he indicate that the man should be left on the road to die if it meant that we had to offer him hospitality.

We are not against helping ANY type of race, but by giving them the fishing rod and teach them fishing and breeding fish, not by imposing multiculturalism AND at the expense of the citizen, when at the end of the day it's proving obvious that the Maltese is becoming the real victim of the situation.
    So now there is an imposition of multiculturalism in Malta. In short, the situation there is one which you feel is similar to the situation in the USA with the current immigrant scenario and your comments are applicable to both. That's OK. I would say, that I agree that people should be taught how to fend for themselves. Now, I don't see how capitalistically exploiting the downtrodden helps them do that. What capitalistic exploitation does is to perpetuate an inhumane situation for the sake of increasing monetary profit. So why not stop imitating Lou Dobbs and level your moral outrage a little bit in that direction for the sake of fair play?

After all, if indeed people come to our shores in hopes of a better life why disappoint them by allowing inhumane treatment. And believe me, it definitely is inhumane to pay people below the minimum wage and obligate the government to care for them lest they perish even though they deserve to be self sufficient since they are doing an honest day's work and shouldn't be in that dehumanizing situation by virtue their working to earn a living.

If indeed these immigrants are fleeing from an oppressive social situation and coming here in hopes of being treated like human beings, why allow their exploitation by the unscrupulous insatiably money hungry employers. And no I don't consider that they are doing a good thing by employing them since exploitation is by its very nature evil.

This is clearly a violation of the human rights as outlined during the European Enlightenment and as repeated in our constitution and as enforced today by the United Nations. And yet no outrage has ever been shown by our government concerning it. Instead there has been a head turning the other way so as not to see in order to allow the very exploitation which it feels is a crime if it were perpetrated against a USA citizen.

Multiculturalism annoys you?

Here in the USA many people of many cultures helped to create this nation. We had northern Europeans, southern Europeans, Eastern Europeans, Africans, Asiatics, South and Central Americans which all contributed to the identity of the United States culture. That's why you have people eating pizza, burritos, Polish sausage Italian sausage, Tacos,
    Chinese fried rice with pork, and so on all within the same border and all considering these things part of American cuisine. We have had the scientist Einstein a German Jew, president Kennedy, of Irish descent, social activist Martin Luther King, African descent, present Attorney General Gonzales Mexican descent, Jose Hernandez, astronaut and so on. The same holds true for the performing arts with Jennifer Lopez, Jose Ferrer, the Puerto Rican who played the emperor in the film "Dune", Cameron Diaz, Benicio Del Torro, Esteves, Joaquin Phoenix, Ricardo Montalban, Anthony Quin, Rita Hayworth, Ricky Martin, and many others enriching the American culture with their abilities.

Notable Hispanics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mexican American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Puerto Ricans in NASA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of Puerto Ricans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I guess that even though it might annoy some Americans, multiculturalism is part of the American way of life.

BTW
    The American companies located in Mexico which exploit the workers and cause them to flee are also reprehensible as is the Mexican government for not correcting this situation. But in the middle of this mess is the human being who is being victimized.

I don't know what the true situation is in Malta.
    But your manner of expressing it sounds familiar and seems a bit one sided.

Also, perhaps the government intervenes in the immigrant's behalf in relation to their survival in recognition of its significant share of the blame in creating this situation.
    Expert

May 23, 2006, 05:33 PM
    If every place where multicultural to some extent wouldn't that LESSEN the tensions between cultures. As for Malta the government is actively pursuing people of substance for permanent residency, which I think is a little different from the immigration as portrayed in the US and Europe:cool: :)
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2006, 11:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    And you've seen all this with your own eyes or is that what the papers say HMMM.....Got any racism on Malta?:cool: :rolleyes:
    Yes I actually saw it from my own brown eyes, and I actually saw it on TV and on the papers.
    If u all don't believe me please search it or look on VivaMalta - Home

Then you will all understand why us maltese are getting very very annoyed!!
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 12:00 AM
    And you've seen all this with your own eyes or is that what the papers say HMMM.....Got any racism on Malta?:cool: :rolleyes:
    Oh and please note we see them in their open centre... bare in mind malta is TINY SO SO SMALL ITS - 17 miles long by 5 miles wide, unlike the HUGE america.. so we all can see and know what's going on... its not so difficult to see these things when you live in such a small country... An island!! A speck on the map or the mediterrean rock as we call it..
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 12:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    I hope you realize that your statements in reference to the immigrant situation of your country are difficult to assess and might come under suspicion of fabrication because you do not provide any specific geographical location that would make verification of your statements possible.

Sorry about thec above statement since you did mention Malta a while back.
    Will investigate the matter a bit to verify your claims if possible.
    Go ahead, starman...
    I know my claims are NOT only possible... they're real.
    Expert

May 24, 2006, 06:02 AM
    Thanks Krs, for bringing us info on the immigration problems in Malta. This is starting to look like a global problem brought on by governments that can't or won't take care of their own people.:cool:
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 06:07 AM
    Thanks Krs, for bringing us info on the immigration problems in Malta. This is starting to look like a global problem brought on by governments that can't or wont take care of their own people.:cool:
    :cool: did u have a look on this website of malta :- VivaMalta - Home

There's also a forum u can join and u will chat to people worldwide and more so to maltese oh the same website and you but search for forum
    -

May 24, 2006, 08:56 PM
    If every place were multicultural to some extent wouldn't that LESSEN the tensions between cultures. :)

If we are to judge by the United States which is one of the most multicultural nation in the world one would say no since intercultural tensions are not only present but are increasing. Many factors perpetuate this situation. One is the abundant supply of vociferously inclined, irresponsible individuals who foment intercultural tension via the use of emotive words.

For example at the conclusion of yesterday's program, Lou Dobbs' encouraged his viewers to be brutal in their anti immigrant commentaries. Of course this choice of words might seem harmless to some. But the sad reality is that there is a significant number persons here in the USA who harbor a fanatical hatred of all that they consider foreign and have a misguided sense of patriotic duty which might lead them to conclude that the brutality Dobb's so nonchalantly encourages means brutality in all sense of the word. I am sure that mister Dobbs is familiar with these groups and is definitely not ignorant of what they are capable of. So it strikes me as rather strange that a man of his educational level employ emotive words that can be interpreted as encouragement to harass without a care in the world.

BTW

Dobbs also goes off on irrelevant tangents which when brought to his attention by guests who disagree with him he reacts by smugly smiling and blinking. Case in point, out of the clear blue and with no subject justification he introduces the low educational level of the present Mexican immigrants. Since the issue is border security and the proposed amnesty, not the immigrant educational level, he forces one to wonder what his real agendas are. In any case, though it might well not be, he tends to come across as a self-appointed goader of the intolerant to action. A pity since such off-the-cuff comments feed the fires of intolerance. Ironically, often it's people born with golden spoons in their mouths who have never labored under the sun for twelve hours in order to earn inhumane ILLEGAL WAGES who nevertheless feel it their duty to add insult to injury on those don't want to but are forced to do so by circumstances beyond their control.
    -

May 25, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Yes i actually saw it from my own brown eyes, and i actually saw it on TV and on the papers.
    If u all dont believe me pls search it or look on VivaMalta - Home
    I can understand how things are more noticeable in for populations of small islands. Puerto Rico's Vieques population was relocated in that islands' center and fenced in so that our Navy could bombard the shores as target practice. This went on for decades and the population noticed it, complained and was ignored. Their health started to suffer due to chemicals dumped on the island's beaches fish began to diminish, the lake which glows at night due to bioluminescent bacteria began to dim, birth defects and cancer increased. Meanwhile our navy was offering European nations the opportunity to target practice on this island for a fee and advertised in Europe to that end. Which of course increased the time that its residents were subjected to the rumble of guns and the vibration of the ground. It wasn't until a resident was killed by a direct hit from a shell fired from an offshore ship that the demonstrations were paid a bit of attention to. Even so, the demonstrators were harassed by our armed forces in an effort to shut them up.

Finally Bush agreed to vacate the small Puerto Rican island called Vieques.
    But not when they demanded it but when he felt good and ready to.
    So now all that our navy is asked to do is clean up the mess it created on the shores to which it still has not attended.

So yes, living on a small island makes events far more noticeable.

Vieques, Puerto Rico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW

In Puerto Rico we Americans are free to go about speaking English though the country is predominantly Spanish speaking.
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2006, 11:57 AM
    Thanks for understanding my comments... its make a whole lots of difference when you live on a small island.
    Maltese tend to be very protective our their land, and us maltese are rather patriotic.
    We are not mean people, we just want to protect our land and identity as we have done in the last decades.
    I mean if you know malta's history, we were over taken by other countries, but we always fought back and finally got our independence in 1966.. (if I'm not mistaken).
    -

May 31, 2006, 10:44 PM
    Thanks for understandin my comments... its make a whole lots of difference when u live on a small island. Maltese tend to be very protective our their land, and us maltese are rather patriotic. We are not mean people, we just wanna protect our land and identity as we have done in the last decades. I mean if u know malta's history, we were over taken by other countries, but we always fought back and finally got our independance in 1966.. (if im not mistaken).
    Even if it's not an island the situation you describe sounds pretty annoying.
    I am familiar with the battles fought on Malta during WWII when German paratroopers landed.

What I was trying to illustrate is that we should not foist on others things which we would consider humiliating if done to us. Otherwise when we complain, then others wonder about such things.
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2006, 12:19 AM
    There is a lot of history of Malta which is very interesting.
    -

Jun 1, 2006, 11:35 AM
    There is alot of history of Malta which is very interesting.
    Yes I know, especially its location would place it in the middle of some very interesting historical scenarios. Am I correct in assuming that the immigration problem is a relatively recent development? Or has there always been a predisposition to turn imigrants away due to land shortage or other socio-ecomomic factors?

Brief History Of Malta
    http://www.hmml.org/centers/malta/history.html
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2006, 11:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Yes I know, especially its location would place it in the middle of some very interesting historical scenarios. Am I correct in assuming that the imigration problem is a relatively recent development? Or has there always been a predisposition to turn imigrants away due to land shortage or other socio-ecomomic factors?

Brief History Of Malta
    http://www.hmml.org/centers/malta/history.html
    Well nowadays its getting worse.
    We have always had problems with illegal immigrants.. I think this going back 10 years, but now the Malta formed part of the European Union Malta has to obied by the laws imposed by the EU, and unfortunately I do not agree with them, as the law says no matter the size of the country u can't refuse them!

Have a look at this website and you have some very clever people who understand this issue by far more than me :-

www.vivamalta.org/forum

Enjoy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Illegal bank lien [ 3 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My father, a disabled retiree, had his bank account frozen or levied yesterday. His only income is from social security, no other income. As it turns out the debt is mine, his daughter's. I was added to his bank...

1040 for Resident Aliens [ 3 Answers ]

I am on F1 Visa status since Dec 2003 and currently on OPT. I went through the instructions in details, at: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nr.pdf On page 2 of 45, I pass the substantial presence test. Does that mean this makes me "resident alien for tax puproses" and I can fill 1040. ...

Unethical or Illegal? [ 1 Answers ]

I was recently terminated from employment. I have my immediate supervisor that tells me I violated policy and therefore am being terminated. I contested the violations to him and he admitted that the violations were without merit 'to him'. I have a witness to this discussion. An employee of...

Illegal garnishment? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to Phoenix from Omaha, NE 4 years ago. Two years ago I sold my house in Omaha, carrying back a loan to the buyer. In selling the house, I paid back all judgments and debts on record, and title company gave me a clear title. A few months later, an ex-wife had a lawyer garnish the monthly...

Illegal Operation--Help? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi-- When I log off on Window's 98SE--after a few minutes, when I try to get back on--it say's I have performed an illegal operation--it say's the reason is--"MPREXE"--can anyone please tell me what this means? And what I can do to correct it--Thank you--

View more questions Search