Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anicho56 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 11:59 PM
    Importing contacts from outlook express to windows mail
    Hi There,
    Wondering if someone can help me. I have a new computer with vista and I have saved my contacts from outlook express on the old computer in csv format.
    I follow all the protocols but when I import to windows mail I get maybe 20% through the import and every time I get a message which says : "error importing to Windows Contacts"
    It's incredibly frustrating! I have read other entries here with a similar problem but can't find a solution, I have tried disabling my Norton antivirus as someone suggested but that did'nt work.
    Can you help?
    Thanks heaps in advance
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

Aug 15, 2008, 12:12 AM
    If you had outlook express, then according to "Windows Vista for Dummies", pp186-7. You should save those contacts as a "windows Address Book File". Are you xferring via that special cable, or network, or through external sources, like CD-Roms, or flash drives? I used the flash drive method, since all I needed was photos and such. I keep my originals on Cd's and backup copy anything I download as a program. (Okay, I'm A-R, but that's me!)
    anicho56 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 01:03 AM
    I saved my message book contacts in csv form on an external hard drive and transferred them from there to the new computer which runs vista. Something seems to go wrong during the import process into windows mail.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks again for replying
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 07:28 AM
    If it's a CSV, then you can open that in EXCEL and cut out smaller segments of the file and save it out again in CSV format.

So, I'd take your one BIG CSV file and turn it into about 10 smaller pieces. Then do an import on each one. Should have greater success.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Alternately, go back to your original hard drive on the old computer and export the contacts again, this time in WAB format.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Import .dbx files (Outlook Express) to Windows Mail (Vista) [ 34 Answers ]

Everywhere I look I see the answer is no - I cannot do the above... but there's GOT to be a way... doesn't there? :o Any suggestions for a workaround to this?

Exporting from Windows mail to Outlook Express [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to export email message files from Vista Windows Mail back to XP Outlook express. Is this type of export possible and if so how is it done. This option doesn't seem to be available with Windows Mail version 6.0. :confused:

Import messages from Outlook Express 6 to Vista Windows Mail [ 6 Answers ]

I have got a new laptop with MS Vísta and Windows Mail. My old PC had Outlook Express 6. Now I want to import the OE catalogs into Windows Mail. I have copied the DBX-files to a usb-stick. I let Windows Mail try to import them by the files/import function. But the DBX-files cannot be found. How...

View more questions Search