Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woodshed Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2006, 08:25 AM
    Heat traps vs check valves
    I have installed a check valve on the cold water inlet side of my water heater (it's a Voyager 100,000 BTU, combi heater-domestic and radiant heat). I am getting convective heat tranfer in the cold water line. I'm assuming the check valve (spring type) is not designed to prevent heat transfer. Are the inline heat traps the answer? Do I need a heat trap on both the inlet and outlet pipes. I am using 1" copper on both the inlet and outlet - do they make 1" heat traps?

Thanks,

Rick
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2006, 12:51 PM
    Hey Rick,

I hope you have a expansion tank installed on the cold water supply when you blocked it off with a check valve. Because if you haven't when the hot water expands it will trip the T&P valve and you will lose hot water out of it.

Since most heater supplies are 3/4" I couldn't locate a 1" heat trap for you,
    However you can build your own,(see image) out of fittings or a 1" flex connection. It consists of a inverted "U". You will need heat traps on both hot and cold for best performance. Good luck, Tom

Apr 19, 2006, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Rick,

I hope you have a expansion tank installed on the cold water supply when you blocked it off with a check valve. Because if you haven't when the hot water expands it will trip the T&P valve and you will lose hot water out of it.

Since most heater supplies are 3/4" I couldn't locate a 1" heat trap for you,
    However you can build your own,(see image) out of fittings or a 1" flex connection. It consists of a inverted "U". You will need heat traps on both hot and cold for best performance. Good luck, Tom
    Tom -

Does the expansion tank get installed before or after the check valve?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2006, 02:35 PM
    "Does the expansion tank get installed before or after the check valve?"

The expansion tank will install between the check valve and the cold water inlet of the heater. (see image) good luck, Tom

Apr 19, 2006, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    "Does the expansion tank get installed before or after the check valve?"

The expansion tank will install between the check valve and the cold water inlet of the heater. (see image) good luck, Tom
    Tom -

I could not view the image clearly; it's quite small. How do I enlarge the image?

Also, I am on a private well - do I even need a check valve? All the older homes in my city are on a municipal water supply and none of those homes have check valves. I'm not sure of the reasson to have a check valve. Please explain. If no check valve, then do I need an expansion tank?

Thanks,

Rick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing Valves? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in the process of building a home and the builder ask me to pick out showerheads and faucets. I started to see that the showerheads says Transfer valve and/or thermostatic valve and/or volume valve was used. I'm not sure what these are and if I need them or not. Can someone please explain?...

Water htr/heat traps/pipe config. [ 2 Answers ]

Some time back I installed a new water heater and it had the factory installed heat traps. The instructions say you MAY have to install one or more 90° elbows in order to make a “U” configuration in the supply pipes. It also shows the pipes running vertically from the heater. I’ve read on various...

Zone valves [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for a wiring diagram for a new dunkirk boiler . Just the diagram for the 3 zone valves. Company says that the boiler transformer is enough to run three zones ( 24v) . Or do I need to add transformer. Just can't figure out the wiring from one zone valve to another. Contacts on each zone are...

Is having 2 traps OK? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have moved my washer and dryer and added a sink for a 1/2 bath in that spot. The washer had an existing trap in the wall. It would be a real pain to cut it out because it is galvanized pipe and because of were the trap is located. Would it be OK to leave the existing trap in the...

Access to shut off valves [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a code in sarasota fl that says you must have access to shut off valves in your tubs and if so what is that code and where can I get a copy. Thank you[ Manny

View more questions Search