Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2006, 06:48 AM
    Marriage
    Hi,
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=24811

The above link is a question about money in a relationship.
    It turned into a religious discussion by one member.
    My question is:
    Are all marriages considered to be "religious ceremonies"?
    A marriage in a Church is usually considered a "religious" marriage.
    Is a "quickie" marriage in Las Vegas a religious ceremony or religious marriage?
    Is one by a Magistrate, or Justice of the Peace also considered religious?

Being from "older generations", I remember those who did not condone a marriage by a Magistrate, or Justice of the Peace, because they were not in a Church setting... meaning they were not a real "religious" wedding or a "real" marriage.
    So, are all marriages considered "religious"?
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Well I think it would be a matter of opinion obviously, but personally I don't consider all marriages religious. A civil marriage is not religious at all, and yet it is a legal marriage. Lots of people get married outside of a church or without religious conviction, and while certain religious groups might not consider them married, the government does, and that's good enough for me.
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2006, 07:30 AM
    Comment on orange's post
    All marriages are not in religious settings; and not considered "religious".
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2006, 07:35 AM
    Hi, Orange,
    Thank you for your comments.
    I, too, believe that not all marriages are "covenants under God", but simple civil ceremonies, recognized by law.
    Others have stated that any marriage falls within religious beliefs, but we all have our own opinions; especially interesting are those who practice no religious beliefs, and have formed opinions about varying religions and how they should be practiced.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 20, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Ok, I'm going to pop in here since the issue is directly related to posts I made. First to clarify. I never stated or even implied that all marriages were religious ceremonies.

Clearly all marriages are civil ceremonies since the ability to perform a marriage is granted by local govt. Most marriages, however, are performed by a member of the clergy making those religious ceremonies as well. Therefore, a marriage not performed by a member of the clergy, would not be considered a religious ceremony. Simple fact that answers the question asked in this thread.

However, whether a marriage is formalized via a religious ceremony or not, doesn't change the fact that the institution of marriage is a religious concept. The idea of the union of two people has historically been part of religion. I never said that marriage was a "covenenat under God", I said it was a covenant between two people. I have always believed that marriage, no matter what your religion or lack thereof, was something you enter into with someone you have deep feelings for and not something to be entered superficially, like for money.

But let me pose a counter question. The question in the linked thread was about "loving someone for their money." Given the Church's position on the Sanctity of Marriage, does it make sense for someone, who has claimed to be a devout Christian, to make a statement that there was nothing wrong with marrying someone for their money?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my marriage last? [ 10 Answers ]

I have been married for 16 months but I don't trust my husband. I am 8 months pregnant and need to know before its too late for my baby if he is going to cheat and if we will last

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Will my marriage last? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my D.O.B is 12-17-1983 am getting married in 2 months I want to know if my marriage will last /will I have any children ?and how many ?and is my fiancé cheating on me?my email address is [email protected] Please Help!! :( :( :( :(

Marriage? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am 16 and my boyfriend is 21, we have been together for 1 year. He is Asian and has recently experienced certain difficulties that have led to the involvement of the immigration department. He may be deported. We both agree that the only way that he will be able to stay in or return to this...

View more questions Search