Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blueiman Posts: 158, Reputation: 5

Apr 19, 2006, 06:33 AM
    USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem)
    After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 19, 2006, 06:36 AM
    It should not be assigning it to an existing drive letter. What is Drive F? You should be able to go into the properties of the drive and specify the drive letter. I have mine using the letter Q.

Apr 19, 2006, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    It should not be assigning it to an existing drive letter. What is Drive F? You should be able to go into the properties of the drive and specify the drive letter. I have mine using the letter Q.
    Drive F is an internal drive. Always been there. When I plug in the usb. It only goes to drive F. and does not go to an open Letter. Do you know how I can fix this?

Apr 19, 2006, 03:58 PM
    The following is from Windows Help, which I found by looking up drive letter:

1. Open Computer Management (Local).
    1. In the console tree, click Disk Management.
    2. Where?
    1. Computer Management (Local)

• Storage
    • Disk Management

1. Right-click a partition, logical drive, or volume, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    1. Do one of the following:
    2. To assign a drive letter, click Add, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
    • To modify a drive letter, click it, click Change, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
    • To remove a drive letter, click it, and then click Remove.

Important
    • Be careful when making drive-letter assignments because many MS-DOS and Windows programs make references to a specific drive letter. For example, the path environment variable shows specific drive letters in conjunction with program names.
    Notes
    • To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
    • You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.
    • A computer can use up to 26 drive letters. Drive letters A and B are reserved for floppy disk drives, but you can assign these letters to removable drives if the computer does not have a floppy disk drive. Hard disk drives in the computer receive letters C through Z, while mapped network drives are assigned drive letters in reverse order (Z through B).
    • You cannot change the drive letter of the system volume or boot volume.
    • An error message may appear when you attempt to assign a letter to a volume, CD-ROM drive, or other removable media device, possibly because it is in use by a program in the system. If this happens, close the program accessing the volume or drive, and then click the Change Drive Letter and Paths command again.
    • Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the static assignment of drive letters on volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives. This means that you permanently assign a drive letter to a specific partition, volume, or CD-ROM drive. When you add a new hard disk to an existing computer system, it will not affect statically assigned drive letters.
    • You can also mount a local drive at an empty folder on an NTFS volume using a drive path instead of a drive letter. For more information, click Related Topics.

Apr 20, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Thanks scott will go through the info you provided later and see if I can fix. Thanks again
    bigben64 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Scott

This solution helps. I have drive A:, C:, D:(DVD) and E: (2nd local hard drive) and drive F: is the server on all the machines in our network. The E: drive is new and now every time that I connect a USB device to this machine it assigns it F: and I have to go into computer management and manually change the letter... Should I change the letter of new hard drive or is there a way to make the USB devices go to the next letter?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The following is from Windows Help, which I found by looking up drive letter:

1. Open Computer Management (Local).
    1. In the console tree, click Disk Management.
    2. Where?
    1. Computer Management (Local)

• Storage
    • Disk Management

1. Right-click a partition, logical drive, or volume, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    1. Do one of the following:
    2. To assign a drive letter, click Add, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
    • To modify a drive letter, click it, click Change, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
    • To remove a drive letter, click it, and then click Remove.

Important
    • Be careful when making drive-letter assignments because many MS-DOS and Windows programs make references to a specific drive letter. For example, the path environment variable shows specific drive letters in conjunction with program names.
    Notes
    • To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
    • You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.
    • A computer can use up to 26 drive letters. Drive letters A and B are reserved for floppy disk drives, but you can assign these letters to removable drives if the computer does not have a floppy disk drive. Hard disk drives in the computer receive letters C through Z, while mapped network drives are assigned drive letters in reverse order (Z through B).
    • You cannot change the drive letter of the system volume or boot volume.
    • An error message may appear when you attempt to assign a letter to a volume, CD-ROM drive, or other removable media device, possibly because it is in use by a program in the system. If this happens, close the program accessing the volume or drive, and then click the Change Drive Letter and Paths command again.
    • Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the static assignment of drive letters on volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives. This means that you permanently assign a drive letter to a specific partition, volume, or CD-ROM drive. When you add a new hard disk to an existing computer system, it will not affect statically assigned drive letters.
    • You can also mount a local drive at an empty folder on an NTFS volume using a drive path instead of a drive letter. For more information, click Related Topics.
    dillwala Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 01:47 PM
    What I have to do..
    My computer cannot connect anymore extern harddisk.
    Help me please...

Dec 27, 2007, 02:05 PM
    I would set the mapping for the network drive to a higher letter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer speed from computer to external hard drive [ 44 Answers ]

I just transferred 4GB from a folder on my computer to a USB2 external hard drive and it took 45 minutes! From other transfers, it seems like this is way too long. 1. Is there a "standard" transfer speed that I should expect from a transfer like this? 2. Would doing other things on the...

Maxtor External Hard Drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, One of my clients has an external hard drive with all of their Quicktime video files loaded onto it. These video files were captured in an iMac (one of the newer all-in-one units). We wanted to see if the external hard drive (Firewire connection) could be hooked up to the PC...

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Freecom External Classic Hard Drive, 153 GB Available. Attempted to “Microsoft Backup” my Laptop (approx 40GB of data) to External Hard Drive. After about 10 minutes of operating I got the following Message – “You have either run out space or the backup file (.BKF) is too large for...

Won't recognise external hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

My computer won't recognise an external hard drive. I plugged it into the usb port (I have no firewire port) and then turned on the power supply and as far as my computer is concerned the drive isn't even there Help?! Thanks

External hard drive partition inaccessible [ 2 Answers ]

2 partitions on my external 120gb HD have become inaccessible. Their names now appear to be "Local Disk", and if you try to access them you get an error message. http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/11865/0/s.JPG The drives F and H in the picture above are the ones having the problem....

View more questions Search