Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janlafata Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Tweaking Firefox to death!
    Ok I have to admit it! I know millions of people love Firefox, and I am learning to also, but when I first installed version 3.01, I was less than impressed with it's browsing speed, it's loading of pages and so on. I have added many tweaks to try to change some of that and they have made a difference. Still I am not completely satisfied with one area, the loading of pictures.

So I did some research and ended up following some tips from a website post called " Eva's Guide to speeding up Firefox" Bullets n Babes DVD :: View topic - Eva's Guide to speeding up Firefox (multi-platform)

Most of the tweaks seemed to make sense, and I have so much to do right now that I cannot perform all of the tweaks recommended for settings in about:config. And I know you are familiar with the many sites that offer detailed instructions on changing quite a number of entries in there.

So for now I went about speeding up Firefox the lazy way, by using add-ons plus, just a few about:config tweaks.

Here's what I am currently running:
    In add-ons I run AdBlock Plus, FastererFox (not FasterFox) and have it set to Turbo Charged and Thrash. I also have Tweak Network and have the power settings enabled. I also installed TCP Optimzer and set it to Optimal.

I also made these changes in about:config:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"
    Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"
    Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to "100".
    Right-click anywhere and go New > Integer.
    Enter "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set the value to "0".

After all of that, I noticed a significant increase in the overall browsing speed and I am fairly satisfied , at this point. The one area that "still bugs me" is the loading of pictures. It's not at all like Internet Explorer where, when a page is loading, the picture displays, are nice and smooth. In Firefox it's kind of choppy and clunky!

I know this is being a bit picky, but I guess that I am still used to Internet Explorer, as I have only been running Firefox full-time for about two weeks. Also, I don't imagine that I am the only one who has noticed this and even ask for tech help on the issue.

So the question now is, can the loading of pictures be improved and how do I go about it?

Your favorite perfectionist customer
    Jan LaFata
    NoDaddy dot com Posts: 101, Reputation: 0

Feb 27, 2009, 10:21 PM
    Create a NEW (fresh) profile and then add back only your bookmarks and cookies

kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager#Creating_a_new_profile

If you're bandwidth isn't at least 5000 kilobits/second download and 1000 kilobits/second upload do not bother with 'tweaking'

100 connections is detrimental. Read the preference documentation for explanation.

If you want a less unfair 'start' speed comparison to IE
    google.com/search?q=preload+firefox

HTH

The Peoples Cube - correct opinion for progressives

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Firefox and IE6 ? [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to use both browsers. However when I go to IE from Firefox I cannot load certain pages. I get the message on IE that says: "This page cannot be loaded". I set up to accept Cookies, but it still happens. I am using WinXP as the operating system. Would appreciate any suggestions......

Death and credit card death. [ 3 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Death and credit card death. [ 1 Answers ]

My father recently died leaving enough money to pay off most of his debts,but not all.I contacted those credit card companies that there no funds to pay and informed them of my father's death and that there were no assets to pay these debts.I soon received a letter (from american express) asking to...

Do you use Firefox? [ 16 Answers ]

If you do what are your favorite extensions And What is your impression of IE 7? ---- Savage

FireFox - What's up with this? [ 6 Answers ]

I have been using FireFox as my default browser for quite some time, but all of a sudden it stopped working. I can only use the browser if I use the safe mode (it's built into FF). I have tried unistalling & reinstalling, but that does nothing to help. Has anyone else experienced this problem &...

View more questions Search