Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cottoncandy Posts: 29, Reputation: 0

Aug 14, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Unknown animal eating pine cones in my yard
    Can anyone help me with this? Don't know if I should be asking this here or in "Pest Control" I have tall white pine trees in my yard. Under a tree is a pile of what looks like wood shavings but is actually the scaly parts of pine cones dropping to the ground from far up in the tree. The pine cones are small and green right now but turn brownish when SOMETHING chews them off the cones and also drops the chewed cores down from up above. What is it and any ideas how to make it stop? The only animals I'm sure we have are field mice, a cat and a dog. Would a porcupine do this? I'm worried because we let the dog out in our fenced in lawn "on his own recognizance":eek:
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Aug 14, 2008, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cottoncandy
    Can anyone help me with this? Don't know if I should be asking this here or in "Pest Control" I have tall white pine trees in my yard. Under a tree is a pile of what looks like wood shavings but is actually the scaly parts of pine cones dropping to the ground from far up in the tree. The pine cones are small and green right now but turn brownish when SOMETHING chews them off the cones and also drops the chewed cores down from up above. What is it and any ideas how to make it stop? The only animals I'm sure we have are field mice, a cat and a dog. Would a porcupine do this? I'm worried because we let the dog out in our fenced in lawn "on his own recognizance":eek:
    It's most likely squirrels.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Serbian pine [ 1 Answers ]

My Serbian pine, which was planted almost two years ago is losing it's pine needles (not cones). At present the top two feet are bare and one/two middles branches. I fertilized it this spring and have sprayed it twice with fungaside and diazon, as per instruction of the landscaper that planted...

How to stop neighbor's dogs from eating way into my yard? [ 9 Answers ]

I have a problem I need some input. I live in a leased townhome in Texas. I am the owner of two small dogs... Schipperrke and Min-pin. My neighbor has three dogs... 2 Pit Bulls and a Golden Ret (grown). We have ten foot wooden fences around our backyards. When my dogs go into the yard, the 3...

10 yard and 40 yard dash [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering what is a good 10 yard and 40 yard sprint time for a high school runningback?

Pine furniture [ 1 Answers ]

I have pine dressers. I got a new lamp and I see that there are brown circles from the felt bottom on my dresser. Help, How can I remove these?

View more questions Search