Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 08:32 AM
    I can add some for review:

The signs at my bank, in ONLY Spanish, in the center of the USA!
    People who promise to do something, and don't.
    Business phones that will NOT allow you to actually talk to a real human.
    Credit Card Companies that raise your interest rate, by 15%, for being ONE DAY LATE.

Ok, now I'm feeling a little angry so I'll stop.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Oooh, I agree with the business phone peeve 100% prognur.

One time I had to go through 15 automated messages with stupid number selections, I kept getting redirected every time I made a selection. Finally, after being on the phone for 20 minutes, listening to options, pressing numbers, I was told, by a machine, that I would have to speak to one of their operators, then it hung up. So, how am I supposed to speak to an operator, that was never one of the options. ARRRRRRR!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Your pet peeve is so universal that someone has set up a web site to aid people in getting in touch with a human at companies. It's called: Gethuman - Home Page
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Thanks NK, I'll check it out. :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Yep and the options never suit what you need.
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    it's those people that do it even when you can see plenty of room ahead of the turn to slow down in, in the turn lane.

If you have a straight exit (not a cloverleaf) for example, and you hit your brakes a couple hundred feet BEFORE the exit even starts, that's just silly. There's a couple hundred feet of EXIT to slow down in!

I mean, I slow down to take a turn. That's safe and logical. I just hate the people that start braking down to 20 miles below the speed limit while they are still ON the freeway.
    When I leave for the night, the route I take requires slowing down, even before entering the exit because most days the exit is backed up past the actual exit. Plus sometimes you can't see where traffic starts on that exit because of the cars in front of you so then your forced to slam on your brakes when you do see the beginning of the exit. I see what you mean when people do that. I meant that I slow down as soon as I enter the exit (when the white line vears off is when I slow down).
    cottoncandy Posts: 29, Reputation: 0

Aug 14, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Those poke along people get ahead of you at the drivethru ATM too. I used to get really uptight about things in traffic, but my dr. told me about relaxation/guided imagary because of my blood pressure. So now where I used to blow my top, like waiting for a slowpoke, I now sit back in my seat and put both hands behind my head, put my feet up on the windowsill or dashboard, etc. Get really really relaxed on purpose instead of get tense by instinct. Play the Make it Worse Game: she's taking too long, I have to wait... Maybe she passed out and some stranger will ask to use my cell phone to call 911... maybe I'll have to wait and give a witness statement to the police... Maybe the ambulance will get here, then get a flat tire, and I'll be really late... etc etc until you have such a ridiculous picture in your mind you are laughing instead of frowning! What was the question again? Oh my peeve is people in line at the bank or the grocery store, they can easily see there are others in line waiting on them put they stand there chatting away to the teller or cashier about personal business because it's their friend. Also the employee who does it too, I mean she can easily say,I'm busy right now but I'll talk to you later. Also the cashiers in stores, you get to the front of the line, then they immediately answer the phone and spend ten minutes with that person.:o :p
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Your pet peeve is so universal that someone has set up a web site to aid people in getting in touch with a human at companies. It's called: Gethuman - Home Page
    I feel much better now, knowing my pet peeve is "so universal", thanks for that link, I'll bet I will need to use it before the end of the month!
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Aug 14, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Hmm my pet peeves are

-People that flake for no reason

-When people don't call when they say they will

-RUBBER NECKERS omg that one is so horrible.. people will look on the side of the road and slow down to look even if there is one car there and nothing is going on.. it's SOOO annoying!! I always honk at them when they get close to the "commotion" they just sit there and stare like IDIOTS!! Wow I'm mad now! Lol
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE
    When I leave for the night, the route I take requires slowing down, even before entering the exit because most days the exit is backed up past the actual exit. Plus sometimes you can't see where traffic starts on that exit because of the cars infront of you so then your forced to slam on your brakes when you do see the begining of the exit. I see what you mean when people do that. I meant that I slow down as soon as I enter in the exit (when the white line vears off is when I slow down).

See? That's the way you're supposed to do it!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Here are my two faves.

People who invite you to do something on the weekend (or whenever), but won't commit for sure to a particular day or time, forcing you to leave your own schedule open. Then they suddenly announce they have something else to do--like it's a beautiful day so they are going horseback riding, and no Saturday won't work because they are taking the kids to soccer camp. Nice, but I turned down two other invitations to see them!

People who change lanes in an intersection. Very common when people are turning left from two lanes to two lanes, sometimes even wandering from the left lane to the right and then BACK again. They should stay in their lane!

And yes I hate voicemail purgatory too. My worst problem is that I tune out while the menu is being read to me, so I have to call back to hear it again because by the time they got to my problem I was thinking about something else and didn't hear it. :)
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 12:37 PM
    When people (mostly chavs) play music off their mobiles really loudly like so all the people within 15m have to listen to it and its not even something good
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 04:29 PM
    I hate people who slam doors.

I hate people who get distracted during conversations and trail off on to something TOTALLY unrelated; especially when I have work to do.

I hate people who insist a project/task must be done NOW... and then they don't look at it for three weeks.

I hate people who turn the volume up on the TV so loud you have you shout to have a conversation.

I hate people who think ignoring their screaming child in a public place is acceptable parenting.

I hate when someone cuts me off in traffic, and I lay on the horn, and THEY flick ME off!

I hate people who drive 5 mph under the speed limit in the left lane.

I hate people who slow down to 15 mph when it rains/snows/is cloudy.

I hate people who rubberneck. I really, really hate people who rubberneck.

There's more... I'll save them for later! :)
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 05:18 PM
    Jillian... are you SURE you're in Virginia and not Seattle?
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 01:53 AM
    Allheart's Pet Peeves -

- People who are unkind - judgemental - can't put themselves in someone else's shoes for 5 seconds.

- People who don't like you because of the way you look

- People who take advantage of nice people and push them around

- People who ask "Did you get your hair cut" - You answer = "yes" and they say "oh". Hello!! If you don't like it don't even bother asking.

- People who make life more difficult for others, when it doesn't have to be.

- People who mock you when you are in a crowd, because of their own insecurities.

- People who can't embrace differences of other people.

- People who know you are busy up to your eyeballs and mock you for working so hard and do all they can to distract you, because they are bored with their work.

- People who just can't understand that everyone has feelings, everyone hurts, and putting others down, is not the way to feel better about yourself.

- People who are spend so much time ridiculing others shortcomings, instead of taking the time, to work on their own shorcomings and trying to better themselves.

= Women who don't support other women. When a women gets promoted, there always seems to be a group of women clucking " I wonder how she got that job". Argh!!

- People who talk down to people.
    - People who mistrust, genuine love, care and concern coming their way. Question it and reject it as "phony".

- People who find joy at other's misfortunes.

- People who are in such a rush, that they can't share a smile.

- People who get upset at the elderly because they are moving to slow in front of them. That will be all of us someday.

- And lastly - People who fail to realize that this life is temporary, and it won't matter what material things you have gained, what accomplishments you have achieved, what money you accumulated - because all of that will be left behind, and the only thing that will remain, is if you shared all the goodness in your heart, an embrace, a kind gesture or word, did you make a positive difference, or negative one. Did you lift someone's spirit, or break their spirit. Did you lend a hand when needed, or were to blind to see the need.
    And did you count your blessings and be grateful or did you desire someone else's blessings. Did you dry a tear, or cause a tear? Did you realize how special you are and how special others are or could you only see faults?

And lastly :), and this is something that I do try and work on myself, is to have more understanding, to care for, and not get upset at those who do cause pet peeves, as they are the same as us, and may just have painful issues, or actual reasons they do the things they do.

Final thought - to make someone smile, can last for miles, causing a tear, could last for years.
    Luv2Dance Posts: 56, Reputation: 7

Aug 15, 2008, 07:25 AM
    *People who SLUUURRRPPP their soup off their soup... is it really necessary... if it's too hot... wait a little...
    *People who GULP they drink.. (I obviously have issues with people making sounds when they eat of drink)
    *People that box me in when Im driving when they obviously see Im driving faster and trying to pass them
    *People with a screaming crying or tantruming baby/child in church/resturant/etc. that doesn't remove the child from the place until the child calms down a bit.
    Luv2Dance Posts: 56, Reputation: 7

Aug 15, 2008, 07:27 AM
    ^^^off their spoon... not off their soup..

jeeezzz... I seriously have major typos in this message board... lo siento! :(
    Roborat Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Aug 15, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Oh, I have many..
    (1) Bad drivers or should I say ignorant drivers who bully and drive like lunatics.
    (2) Text talk - my response to any texts in that manner is 'LOL RFOL brb B4 Great your text sk8r'
    (3) Ignorant people in general - queue skippers, people who won't acknowledge you for holding a door or some other civility.
    (4) Umbrellas - they should be classified as a weapon, especially with anyone under 5'8"
    (5) Ticket touts
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    Allheart's Pet Peeves -

- People who get upset at the elderly because they are moving to slow in front of them. That will be all of us someday.

. . . And lastly :), and this is something that I do try and work on myself, is to have more understanding, to care for, and not get upset at those who do cause pet peeves,
    Wow! What a great list, Allheart!

I'm quoting back these two because I learned this the hard way.

After I had a spinal fusion, I had to drive my kids to school. I drove very slowly--the speed limit (25) or just under because the potholes on my road were agonizing. (I would cry on the way home from the pain). Yet, several people on my road would tailgate me and even honk at me for a half mile down our narrow road because I was driving too slowly. One young women (a neighbor!) tailgated me and honked, then passed me and flipped me off, basically because I was driving 22 mph for a few hundred yards in front of her. It was awful to be the target of so much hostility when my only crime was to be in pain. I thought, "So this is what it's like to be old."

It's fine to be peeved by little things; it's not fine to harass the people who commit these little sins. They may have a difficult situation, just lost someone they love, or be sick or in pain. There are so many reasons we do things that annoy others.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Websites that won't allow spaces in credit card numbers. It's a computer we're talking too, it can remove the spaces.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What does "Pet Peeve" means? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm learning English and would like to know what this expression actually means? Thank you! :)

View more questions Search