Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 05:28 PM
    My dog just got stung by a bee
    I need some help...

I was taking my dogs for a walk this evening and my poodle was walking in the grass, then all of the sudden yelped and jerked his back leg up... on the bottom of his paw I saw something black, I think it was a bee or a wasp but by the time I got him to sit still so I could look, nothing was on his foot and I couldn't see anything in the grass.

When I tried to inspect his foot he nipped at me... so I know it was hurting. I carried him the rest of the way and eventually he let me take a look. I can't see a stinger anywhere but I see a small area that looks red and a bit swollen on the side of his outter pad.

Every time I touch that spot he jerks away. He can walk on it now but he has a slight limp, and once in awhile he will lift it up and not walk on it. When he is laying he just licks and licks it.

My question is... can dogs be allergic to bees? If so, what signs should I look for?

Is there anything I can do that might make it feel better for him?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Best suggestion is apply meat tenderizer and water.

I seriously doubt you want to use ammonia.

These are two things I would use for me, but ammonia is my first choice when I get stung.

I seriously doubt he is allergic.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 09:22 PM
    If he were allergic, you would have seen signs of it by now. So, I'd just treat it the same way you would a sting on you, with the caveat that the dog is going to lick anything you put on it.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Thanks to both of you...

I have never been stung by a bee, so that's why I wasn't sure what to do for it.

It's now the next morning and he seems fine... walking on it, not licking it as much etc.

Thanks again!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 07:50 AM
    I haven't been stung by a bee in a long time, but I still remember the time I got stung by a wasp. It felt like fire in my hand. Bright, hot, burning pain. But it doesn't last that long. Glad to hear that the dog is doing better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog might have been stung by a scorpion. [ 3 Answers ]

what do I do if my dog was stung by a scorpion?

My puppy was stung by something. [ 1 Answers ]

My puppy was outside earlier today & she got stung by something on her padding of her back left foot. I put ice on it & I've been watching her. She keeps moving around and can't get comfortable she's also crying. Right now the vet's closed. & I don't know what to do?

Stung/bitten by a coral... what to do? [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend was bitten or stung by a pink coral ( that's what he saw) 2 weeks ago during their diving activity. The area (in the legs) that was stung/bitten by coral is still very itchy. It grows like a mosquito bite, but super itchy. He tried putting it white vinegar but still no effect. I asked...

My dog got stung by some kind of insect [ 3 Answers ]

My dog got stung by some kind of insect and it has like a big bump on his lip and I would like to know if anyone knows if that is dangerous and/or I could give him some medicine

View more questions Search