Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    92776 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Aug 13, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Considering Suicide
    Hi,
    Can someone help me with finding the truth about whether God forgives if one commits suicide, I have heard No and Yes. I need to know I used to be a person that was against suicide, however the past years of my life have been nothing but shear HELL... the only thing that keeps me going is the fact that I have a child and I would'nt want to disappoint her, however I have enough family that would be able to give her a much better life than the one that I am giving her. I feel sick to my stomach that my life is in turmoil and that she has to feel the wrath of that... sometimes I pray to God to give it all to me, but PLEASE don't let it affect my daughter. Well Im getting it all I feel like this is rock bottom... I have been trusting and believing that God din't bring this far for nothing, but this has been ongoing for my entire life... Is it anywhere in the bible that says that someone never perseveres... please let me know so that I can understand that maybe that person is me... Im tired and I am neglecting my health because things are soooooobad for me. Please pray for my child, because she does not deserve what I am putting her through. Can you please tell me if it is a sin to want a goodlife for your child... I am seriously contemplating taking my life, but Im not even tryna find out what rock bottom is, if this isn't already.

Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Considering suicide is rock bottom, 92776. You have a daughter. Not a good idea to deprive her of a father/mom, whatever you are because you don't really say which one you are.

You can't say this has been ongoing your entire life because you were put here to serve a purpose and were granted life. You life is precious, so is the life of your daughter WHO can't SURVIVE WITHOUT A PARENT IN HER LIFE.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 04:19 PM
    No, you know it is wrong, how can you be forgiven after you are dead, you can not longer ask for forgiveness and be forgiven if you are dead.

First what is so bad, why are you neglecting your health ? If things have been hell, change them, if you have family, get them to help you change what the problem is.

Nothing can not be changed,

Aug 13, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Hi,
    I figured if I told you what was so bad you would be reading until whenever... anyhow I have support from my sister and brother my parents loved us with tough love, so therefore their mojo is you reap what you sew attitude. Just to let you know a few things that I have gone through in my life to help you understand a little bit about my life.
    Growing up I was considered fat, too dark, I lost all of my hair in 10th grade, was liked by many of guys but never really had a boyfriend, financially difficulties since graduating college, WHICH STILL EXIST TO THIS DAY, pregnant with my daughter after graduating college, broke up with her father right after she was born, had my car reposessed, have IRS trouble, couldn't get a job in over 6 months, still no male companion in my life... do you really want me to go on, cause I have been through and Im still going through, but I respect your comment... and you are right I do know that it is wrong... however, can you tell me if there is someone in the bible that nevers amount to anything, but is a child of God I am curious to know.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Well we could trade problems, I had my first wife murdered, another died of liver disease, I have lost more money in my life than most people ever make. I owed in the milliions at one point in my life when they took my car, my business and my home away from me. Things, are just things, who cares if we have them or not, And debts, well bankrutpcy can take most away and give us a new start in the end.

Let me see you had one prophet who God had marry a prostitute as an example. You have job, who even his friends and his wife, told him to dispise God and die. Jonah for example denied what God wanted him to do and even after he did his mission, he was mad at God for not destroying the city and was never heard of again.

What about the disiple that replaced Judas? Ever hear about anything he did. And to make it worst, they cast lots, what about the other person who did not get chosen, he did not even get mentioned at all.

But in the end, the bible was written for all of us that does not amount to anything in this world, for we are the ones that will inherit everlasting life. The dispised, the hated, we are the ones he came for.

Aug 13, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Thank you Chuck for the response, but let me say I gave you the watered down version I wouldn't wish my life on my worse enemy.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Suicide is not an answer so keep telling yourself it is not an option whether you can make it to heaven or not it is not an option

I can give you the watered down version of my life which I didn't give in the other post of yours that I just replied to.

I married the wrong guy and all I got out of it was 4 kids that I love but it was hard.
    My husband turned out to be a real jerk and I ended up divorced.
    My son had ADHD and it was a nightmare. He was 7 years old and I would have to hold him down for hours and I couldn't even take care of my other kids or anything. I had to because he would go after other kids with heavy metal objects and be ready to kill them.
    I never had babysitters and I never got child support. I raised them on $1,200. A month. My son kept having to be put in psych hospitals. Then years later Children's Protective Services decided they were not only going to take my one son off me they were going to take both my sons from me. For four years they lied about me and to me. They even played games with me to sabotage me from getting my kids back. When they took them off me they told them that they were unwanted because I hadn't planned them, they told them I was a witch, I was mental and I hated them. During that time I got a really good price on a house $22, which I lost because of CYS workers partly. When I was able to start working, I worked for about a year and a half and then the CYS workers said in May that I had to ''Be pro-active and quit'' my job so that the Judge saw that I had my full time to devote to my kids during the summer or else the Judge was not going to give them back. I argued for over a month that it made more sense if I worked until June and saved up more money. But it got really ugly how they were arguing with me so I quit and then they including the Judge laughed at me in Court when I said the CYS workers insisted I quit my job. About a couple years later things started getting easier somewhat but even now I have a lot to struggle with that has been ongoing through the many years. Like when I buy a vehicle I have to get really cheap ones and then they break down in a year and I can't afford another one or to get it fixed for another year or two. Then I am stuck and can't even go to the store or to see my friends or my mom or get any where. Every boyfriend I get through the years ends up being a total jerk within three months so most of the times I don't even bother with guys.
    I still keep having hope even though I feel like I will never get out of my situations.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Why would God forgive suicide? Think about it, it's murder, just a different person "pulling the trigger."

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. No matter how desperate you feel that your situation is, there is a solution, you just may need someone to help you find that solution.

Aug 13, 2008, 07:24 PM
    No Help4U I am truly sorry that you had to endure that... I truly respect fact that you were able to stay strong when they took your kids away from you... as I mentioned before I feel like this is rock bottom and I pray that nothing ever happens to my child... I pray everyday that what ever evil the devil has for my child that I endure it all... I don't want to know what life would be like if someone took my child away, I do not that is why I am so afraid I fear that the most, because my child is truly the only thing that is making me think twice... I love my child so much that it hurts, I just want her to live a life unlike mine.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 92776
    I don't want to know what life would be like if someone took my child away,
    Your daughter DOESN'T want to know what it would be like if you were taken away from her life.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 08:02 PM
    Hi,
    I figured if I told you what was so bad you would be reading until whenever.....anyhow I have support from my sister and brother my parents loved us with tough love, so therefore their mojo is you reap what you sew attitude. Just to let you know a few things that I have gone through in my life to help you understand a little bit about my life.
    growing up I was considered fat, too dark, I lost all of my hair in 10th grade, was liked by many of guys but never really had a boyfriend, financially difficulties since graduating college, WHICH STILL EXIST TO THIS DAY, pregnant with my daughter after graduating college, broke up with her father right after she was born, had my car reposessed, have IRS trouble, couldn't get a job in over 6 months, still no male companion in my life.....do you really want me to go on, cause I have been through and Im still going through, but I respect your comment......and you are right I do know that it is wrong.......however, can you tell me if there is someone in the bible that nevers amount to anything, but is a child of God I am curious to know.
    I don't think that there is no a one of the things you listed that could not have been overcome if you had trusted in GOD and gotten off you butt and tried to fend for yourself.

Your l;ist of problems are minor compared to what some others have, look at all of the wounded soldiers coming home from the war with no legs, no hands and arms, Their faces blown half away, and they are coming home to a country that don't believe that they should even be over there in the first place.

So why don't you count your blessings and if nothing else go out and help in a crisis house where many people could use your help.

Aug 14, 2008, 06:49 AM
    Let me tell you,

First of all what is minor to you might me major to me... I learned that the hard way. I respect your opinion. I don't know if your trying to be smart, or you could be simply going through your own issues. Just to let you know I do plenty of missions work, I work with plenty of families of special needs children and I understand the many of blessings that God has blessed me with, but I want you to know that YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT A PERSON CAN BE GOING THROUGH. Don't minimize my problems. As for the soldiers that fight for our country, I feel extremely remorseful that they defend our country and come back to be treated like crap, that is wrong. I am considerate and know that there are others that need Gods blessing before me, so in my prayers I pray for them and ask God that when he is finished blessing them can he come and see me.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 07:04 AM
    I can understand how you feel because I feel the same hopelessness and what's the use.
    I would love to do mission work but I can rarely get out of my street.
    I feel like I can't even help myself in a lot of ways because I do not have the resources.
    You do mission work, what would you advice someone that comes to the mission and doesn't have a single thing but the clothes on their back and all they do is walk the streets all day with no future to even hope for and they came to you and said they decided to commit suicide?

Aug 14, 2008, 09:41 AM
    NoHelp4u,

I am responding to your question, about what advice I would give to someone who was thinking about committing suicide... let me say this when it comes to my work, I don't give advice, advice is something that we can get from family,friends or someone we meet in the street... believe it or not Im currently in school to become a LPC, and yes I need therapy 2, but they say "every great therapist has a therapist"... so to answer your question I let people that I work with know up front from the very beginning that I do not give advice, but rather that we work together to come up with a resolution to his/her problem. Never would I undermine what a person tells me in regards to suicide.
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Aug 14, 2008, 12:59 PM
    The least are the greatest in the kingdom of God. Material worth is SO hard to do without here as money seems to make this world go round. And that sucks. But you do seem to abundant in the love of Christ. I have been where you are. Everybody's "hell" is different so minimizing anyone's trial is uncalled for (as someone else seemed to do here). It is painful to never seem to get that "leg up" especially being a child of God. I have more than a few children and thanks to them I never gave up when I wanted to either. I can remember MANY mornings waking up and saying "why, what's the point? They would be better off without me. All that ever seems to come my way is failure. I can't do this anymore." But I went on anyway. During this time I wasn't strong in the Lord like you seem to be. But I can only believe that it was God pulling me through it anyway. My financial circumstances really aren't any better for me now then they were then but I have learned to totally trust God. I think for me that's where He wanted me. To be in a position that all my resources had been exhausted and in a place where I had no choice but to trust in Him to provide for all my needs. And to do it without freaking out every time something goes wrong. Which is SO hard for me. But I am getting there. I worry just a little now, but remind myself that God will provide and then I have peace and wait for His provision. Just for an example I was living in a house and the time was quickly approaching that I would not be able to live there anymore. I figured OK God will give me the money to stay there or a new place right? God provides the basics for all His little ones right? Well He did provide but certainly not the way I wanted Him to. He didn't give me the money but rather gave me someone who would graciously give us a place to stay temporarily then I was in the same position again and again figured He would give me the money this time... nope but another person to take us in. After much time He has finally given us a place we can afford but still it is only barely every month. A lot of months my bills are paid very late because rent takes most of my monthly income. That sucks to go through especially with kids (I am a single parent too) you feel like you are just not doing your job for them. That is just one scenario, there are also problems with not being able to get a job, failed relationship after relationship, court battles, my cars keep dying, can't afford groceries... blah, blah, blah the list goes on and on. This has been going with me for about 15-20 years now. They are much the same problems you have listed having. I don't know exactly why we have to keep going through them but we do. So my saying this is only so you know you are not alone. I feel your pain. But do try your best to stay strong and keep leaning on God, He will provide. I have learned God will provide, just not always in the easy (obvious to me) ways I wish He would provide. And that, I have only learned recently within the last 6 months. Things have gotten easier for me emotionally since realizing this. My finances still SUCK but my relationship with the Lord is stronger for it. And you know what else? My kids are great. They are just fine. God will take of your little one too in all that you go through.

Please hold on. I am praying for you. This world is only temporary, so our worldy gains here are really for not (hard to keep in mind with the world we live in I know and the fact that we HAVE to have certain things just to survive). One day at a time... God has you in His hands keep trusting that. :)
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 01:05 PM
    NoHelp4u,

I am responding to your question, about what advice I would give to someone who was thinking about committing suicide....... let me say this when it comes to my work, I don't give advice, advice is something that we can get from family,friends or someone we meet in the street..... believe it or not Im currently in school to become a LPC, and yes I need therapy 2, but they say "every great therapist has a therapist"..... so to answer your question I let people that I work with know up front from the very beginning that I do not give advice, but rather that we work together to come up with a resolution to his/her problem. Never would I undermine what a person tells me in regards to suicide.
    So you would not tell them they would or would not go to heaven. You would tell them to work things out and resolve it within themselves?

I, myself, would suggest get counseling to them as well.
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Aug 14, 2008, 03:11 PM
    I am so sorry to hear that things have been so difficult for you. Please do not give in to despair. If you are able to survive these hardships, you will become a stronger and wiser person, a person who will be a good example for your daughter. What you are suffering can teach you the life lessons of how to endure and go on believing in the power of love. Then, in the future, when your daughter goes through the tough times that inevitably come along in life, you will be in a position to help her, because you will have your own experiences to draw upon.

Don't stop asking for help from anyone and everyone--family and friends, suicide hotline, support group such as Al Anon or whatever version is appropriate for you, local mental health agency, or a private therapist (personally I recommend ones who advertise that they take a "transpersonal" or "holistic" approach). Trust that you are not asked to do more than just make it through one day at a time, just make it through today. Turn over to whatever "higher power" makes sense to you all the things in your life you can't control. Your daughter needs you to stay in this world, and so do the rest of us. I don't know what to say to make you believe it, but please take my word for it: Your life is precious, your daughter's life is precious. That is the truth.

When Viktor Frankl was in the Nazi concentration camp, he kept thinking about the quote that "what does not destroy us makes us stronger," and another quote that life is like being at the dentist, we keep worrying that the worst pain is about to happen, when really we have already gotten through it. He survived the concentration camp and went on to write a book called Man's Search for Meaning, in which he expressed that the deepest human need is to find meaning in life, and that finding meaning in our sufferings is the most powerful of all. His basic message is, if you have a why to live, you can endure almost any how. And, hey, this is guy is a concentration camp survivor. He has some street cred when it comes to talking about suffering.

To answer your specific question, the movie What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams shows a fairly accurate picture of what happens to the soul of a person who commits suicide. It isn't pretty. Everyone from Jesus to J.K. Rowling can tell you that it is very powerful mojo to give up your life for something. When a person gives up their life to despair and grief, that releases some very intense energy, and binds the person to that darkness in a way that is very hard to undo. Nothing is impossible with God, and (as shown in the movie) it is possible with a hell of a lot of work, and the help of someone who loves you very much, to get out of that darkness. But you will save yourself and others quite a lot of struggle if you don't go there in the first place! Please, do not take your own life. If you find the strength to go on living, you will then be able to teach others, including your daughter, how to find the strength to live for themselves.

We are praying for you, and we are hear for you.

Many Blessings,

Alder
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Aug 14, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Ah, see now, I didn't notice the second page of dialog before I posted my answer. But knowing your planned career, everything I say goes double: Survive this and you can survive anything, and you will make a hell of a good therapist! You will be able to help people through all the different troubles they have, because you have been there yourself. In some indigenous cultures, the way the tribe makes a shaman or witchdoctor is by giving the person a lethal dose of a psychoactive substance. The person survives only by finding his or her inner healing power. Once he or she finds it, then he or she can use it for the good of the whole tribe. This is that kind of test, that kind of initiation (or at least you can choose to see it that way if seeing it that way helps).
    darlalisa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Hi,
    Can someone help me with finding the truth about whether God forgives if one commits suicide, I have heard No and Yes. I need to know I used to be a person that was against suicide, however the past years of my life have been nothing but shear HELL......the only thing that keeps me going is the fact that I have a child and I would'nt want to disappoint her, however I have enough family that would be able to give her a much better life than the one that I am giving her. I feel sick to my stomach that my life is in turmoil and that she has to feel the wrath of that.... sometimes I pray to God to give it all to me, but PLEASE don't let it affect my daughter. Well Im getting it all I feel like this is rock bottom.....I have been trusting and believing that God din't bring this far for nothing, but this has been ongoing for my entire life......Is it anywhere in the bible that says that someone never perseveres.....please let me know so that I can understand that maybe that person is me.....Im tired and I am neglecting my health because things are soooooobad for me. Please pray for my child, because she does not deserve what I am putting her through. Can you please tell me if it is a sin to want a goodlife for your child....I am seriously contemplating taking my life, but Im not even tryna find out what rock bottom is, if this isn't already.

Thanks
    There is a lot of help out there , please seek help , whether sucid is a sin or not , that is your concern , your concern should be for your daughter , this is only a one road trip in life and no turning back , she needs you and times are hard for everyone but some how , god does help us to get back on track and life doesn't seem so bad
    please put one person in front of everything and that is her , your daughter

Aug 15, 2008, 03:55 PM
    First of all I would like to thank everyone that took the time to respond, I am so grateful for the encouragement it really means a lot and believe that it has definitely helped... I am truly still in a funk, but I am trying so hard to shake this thing... I have been in prayer with God as I usually am... Family and friend support has been good, but to be honest I haven't even told some of closest relatives what I am experiencing and my attitude towards life, because it has been so bad for sooooooooo long that I just feel like they are sick of hearing about me and my troubles... lord knows that Im sick of me and my troubles... well to anyone that is going through what Im going through, I will continue to pray for you all... Im trying to believe that one day we will be released... I apologize if I offended anyone Im just a person that is stressed trying to keep from being depressed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suicide [ 22 Answers ]

Hello: Now don't go getting all soppy on me. I ain't about to cash in my chips any time soon. However, I DO want to be the one who decides when the time is right. Why shouldn't I be able to? I'm talking about doing this when my body tells me it's time, not because I'm depressed. Or,...

On suicide [ 3 Answers ]

Is it normal to from time to time think about death or suicide? With all the problems the world have, do people think and say" is not worth it, might as well get it over with"? I mean we all have our ups and downs

Suicide [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I just read about this poor 85 year old lady who has lost control over her own life. What an undignified way to go! I wouldn't want to end it that way - and I'm not going to. I'll decide when it's over. Tell me why I should end up crapping in my pants. Do you crap your pants? ...

Historical Teen Girls Movie- Suicide or Suicide Attempt? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a teen- about 10-15 years ago on Showtime or HBO. I think it took place around WWII, with a teenage girl that befriends a new girl at their school, which I think was an all-girls school. The girls meet with other girls (friends) from the school in the woods behind the...

Suicide dog [ 2 Answers ]

My dog barkley is a half black lab half german sheperd she has a crate, but she is willing to kill herself to get out. She clawed out, but she scraped her nose, and it bleed for ever. What should I do?

View more questions Search