Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Throttle1982 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2008, 09:54 AM
    1990 1.5L Honda Civic running rough
    I've got a 1990 Honday Civic with a 1.5L dual point injection. Just recently (this past month) my car has started to run really rough. The engine shutters when started, cold/hot, idle to highway speed. It almost feels like the spark plug wires are arcing between each other, but it's a constant shudder, no matter if there's load on the engine or no load. So I replaced those, and did not solve it. I've also replaced the fuel pressure regulator, injectors, fuel filter, air filter, cap, coil, and ran injector cleaner through it. While I'm driving to work, within the first 10mins of driving it will spiratically run smooth for 1/2 a second, then go back to bucking. What I have noticed is that during deceleration the engine does not run rough. Would this be a sign that my igniter has kicked the bucket? Or my distributor bearing is shot? No codes coming up from the ECM, and it sounds like the main relay is working properly. Please Help txgreasemonkey!
    rsain2004 Posts: 207, Reputation: 6

Aug 13, 2008, 10:09 AM
    Within the past 3 days, a local man experienced expensive damage to his new BMW. The vehicle ran well, until he took on a tank of bad fuel at a gas station... the station hadn't been draining water from storage tanks, or the delivery tanker had water from the "tank farm" or something... the case is in court, with everyone from the national gas station brand-to the car owner pointing fingers at each other. You may want to pull a bottom sample from your car tank, to see what you have... good luck...
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 10:20 AM
    It does sound like fuel starvation!!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Throttle1982, I think you nailed it. Yes, replace the ignitor. Be sure to apply heat-transfer silicone grease to the back of the new ignitor. When the distributor bearing goes, it's usually an unmistakable sound, which can easily be isolated with a large-handle screwdriver or mechanic's stethoscope.

Have you replaced the spark plugs recently? I only recommend NGK plugs in Hondas.

Aug 13, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Yeah the plugs were done maybe a month ago.

Great, thanks txgreasemonkey, I'll try replacing that tonight and get back to you on this!

Aug 13, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Here's a detailed break down for the Honda distributors

Anatomy of a B-series Distributor - Team Integra

Aug 14, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Does anyone have a part number for this part? I tried looking in the wrecker for this part, but no go...

Aug 16, 2008, 08:54 AM
    So I replaced the ICM and the COIL and now it runs rough at idle... :confused: but driving is good now.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Attach a strobe light and check the timing. It may be retarded too much.

This link may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219963

Be sure to clean the throttle body, Idle Air Control Valve, and PCV Valve and hose.

Aug 18, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Ok, now the car is running the same as it was before... even with the new igniter... I'm going to try replacing the rotor inside the dist. today, and clean out the IAC.
    I've already tried playing with the timing, it was spot on.
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 08:47 AM
    This IAC Valve link may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1054149

Aug 18, 2008, 09:41 AM
    What is that other sensor that is inside the distributor? Is that not a cam position sensor?
    What all controls the advancement of the timing other than the ICM and coil? I'm going to try replacing the PCV valve today too and see if that helps.
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Unserviceable sensors inside the distributor are the Crankshaft Position Senson, Camshaft Position Sensor, and Top Dead Center Sensor. If there's a problem with any of these sensors, the whole distributor housing needs to be replaced.

The MAP Sensor is involved in advancing timing. Ensure there are no vacuum leaks in the hose running from the throttle body to the MAP Sensor. Ensure the small throttle body fitting the MAP Sensor hose attaches to is clear. Run a very fine wire through it.

Aug 18, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Could a worn out rotor cause my problems too?

Is the map sensor, the sensor that is located on the side of the throttle body? It looks like its riveted on? How do I remove it?
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 10:18 AM
    A bad rotor can be big problems. The MAP Sensor is usually attached to the firewall and connected to the throttle body by a hose. On newer Hondas, there are two machine screws securing it to the throttle body.

MAP Sensors are very, very reliable.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2008, 10:36 AM
    Have you checked the distributor... could be a crack in it allowing damp to get in

Aug 18, 2008, 12:32 PM
    I've ordered a new dist. cap. Seal. I've noticed oil leaking from the dist. O ring is seeping slightly into the dist. cap. I cleaned it out really well, then put it back in, but made no difference...
    Does anyone have a picture of where the map sensor is located?

Aug 19, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Ok so yesterday I replaced the PCV valve, and the distributor rotor, then blew out the port for the MAP sensor. Still no change. I did happen to notice inside the distributor that one of the black sensors inside the distributor was all covered in a yellow type of corrosion. Kind of like the stuff you get on battery terminals. I'm going to pull the IACV off today and clean it out with some brake clean to see if that makes any difference as well. I'm also wondering now if I should look back at the fuel system. I did replace the fuel filter only 2 months ago, but these symptoms seemed to start after hitting the gas really hard and reving up around 5000rpm (not redline) to avoid a collision. Would it be possible that the fuel pump may have dislodged some junk in the tank and clogged the filter?

Another question I have, is when I'm doing the timing, it says to jump the blue connector under the dash on the passenger side. When I jump this connector, will it change how the engine runs at idle? Because I notice absolutely no difference in timing whether the connector is jumped or not...
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 09:21 AM
    The dust you described on the sensor inside the distributor indicates the distributor bearing has failed, sensors are in the process of being taken out, and the housing needs to be replaced. Go with a genuine Honda housing and use your current ICM and coil. This is the cause of your problem.

Aug 19, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Even though the dust was primarily located on the sensor? I'll try replacing that tonight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 Honda Civic rough idel and dead cylinder [ 5 Answers ]

My 1990 Honda civic 1.5 is driving me nutts. It idels rough and when you pull the #2 spark plug wire it does not change the idel or anything. I put a full tune up on it, it has spark on all wires, compression is great on all holes. When you get the rpm's up it smooths out and runs great. I pulled...

96 Civic Running Rough in Heat [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 96 Civic, 4 cylinder. Since it has been warm (hot) it has been running warm. It doesn't overheat but gets up there. This happens only when driving in town, stops, just not moving a lot. It also seems to vapor lock. When it is getting hot and I end up turning off the engine, run inside...

Rough running 1991 honda [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1991 Honda Accord LX (250,000 mi) it has a rough running zone between 1500 - 2000 rpms. Worst after car has warmed up. The distributor, cap, rotor, ign. Wires, spark plugs have been replaced. No loss of power or missing under load. It accelerates normal. A little rough idle when cold, but...

My 96 Honda Civic is Running a little rough [ 1 Answers ]

All right, well I got up to go to school this morning and my check engine light comes on, and I notice when I am idling that it is rough and shakey, any suggestions as to what the problem and/or solution might be?

View more questions Search