Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kahly6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2006, 07:56 AM
    Puppy walks behind me
    I have a 13 week old sheltie puppy. He walks along great on the leash. However, he walks behind me instead of beside or in front of me. I am uncomfortable with this, I want him where I can keep an eye on him. This is a new behavior to me. A pulling dog I know how to deal with, but how do I convince him to walk beside me? I thought perhaps to try using 2 leashes with a friend of mine and walk him between us, but I am just making that up and would rather see if anyone has a suggestion they know actually works.

Thanks for the help
    Zimbo Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Apr 19, 2006, 06:44 AM
    I think you're puppy is doing that because he respects your authority and to try to get him to take the lead is counter intuitive to his instincts. He's following you like you're the pack leader and the protector. By forcing him into the lead you may be sending him the wrong message.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2006, 06:54 AM
    HI,
    A dog should never walk in front of you while on a leash.
    If you are persistent and consistent, you can have your Sheltie walking beside you all the time, while on a leash!
    When you go for a walk, after leaving the front door, leave only about a foot or two of leash between your hand and him. Keep it short enough so that he will have to walk beside you, not giving him enough leash to walk behind. Keep it up, and maybe within 2 days, he will walk by your side.

I highly recommend a video by Ceaser Millan, a Professional Dog Behaviorist. He rehabilitates dogs, and trains people.

He has his own TV program, the Dog Whisperer, on the NGEO (National Geographic) channel, on Friday nights mainly, but also comes on some other days. This video is available from:
    http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/
    I also ordered his new book, "Ceaser's Way", from Walmart online, around $15 US, and it's very good!

There are other good videos available on the web, but this one is really worth your attention.

If you get the TV channel, please watch a couple of his programs. He explains all this, plus lots, lots more. Great Programs!
    howards girl Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Apr 23, 2006, 11:53 AM
    I agree with the above
    Mandy Girl Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Jun 16, 2007, 11:18 AM
    I think your walking to fast for him... When he's older then you can walk fast but he's to young
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2007, 03:07 PM
    The other thing to be aware of is that this is a sheltie. They're herders... it's in their blood to walk behind you so that they can herd you. You want to make sure that he doesn't start doing that, or else you will wind up with nipped heels.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Let sleeping threads lie.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy [ 7 Answers ]

I have a puppy that is 16 weeks, she has very dry skin I would like to know what kind of shampoo to use she has black fur and she looks white now with all the dry skin please help.

Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

We have took in a stray puppy so we do not know all of her habits, we took her to the Vet right away because she had ticks & flea all over her when she wondered into my husbands work. The vet gave her shots, and said she is about 8 weeks old. My questions her skin is very hot to the touch on her...

Movie title? A house burning and someone walks off a cliff. [ 3 Answers ]

I remember watching this movie when I was with a babysitter many many years ago. 1980's - very early 90's The things I remember from the movie are: There is some house that I think is engulfed in flames. There may be a ghost involved in this, but there's someone in the house that is trying...

When is a puppy not a puppy anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a...

New Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 6yr old dog (scrappy) a kitten (tuxeda) and a cat (amber) and I just got a new 3 month old shepherd mix (kaden). Scrappy gets along fine with Kaden but my cats won't come downstairs how can I get them used to the new addition to the family? Its only been 2 days so maybe they just need time...

View more questions Search