Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hippiefeet Posts: 60, Reputation: 4

Aug 12, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Toyota engine trouble - 2.4L DOHC
    (1994 toyota previa - 2.4L DOHC)

This toyota was sitting up for months after it overheated and blew the head gasket. The head was given a valve job and reinstalled.
    The van idles/drives GOOD when warm, but idles very rough and dies when cold.
    After it warms the engine light comes on. (OBD 1)
    Spark plugs and wires have been replaced.
    Would antifreeze in the exhaust ruin the O2 sensors and cause this problem?
    I am afraid it is off timing.
    Any suggestions?
    chakarnis Posts: 55, Reputation: 0

Aug 12, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Yeah... it's a Previa. (Toyota out of be ashamed of themselves). Call a dealer. Explain the situation and they can probably give you an idea of what you're dealing with then ask them to transfer you over to used car sales.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Wow! Most of these previa owners have gotten hundreds of thousands of miles out of them and love them to death!
    Many are still going strong. Anyway hippie, remove the passenger front seat and engine cover under the carpet. What we're looking for is the EFI coolant temp sensor. (ECT) I would replace that with a dealer part and go from there. It has a green connector and it sits just forward of the valve cover.

Keyword: "Runs good when warm" stay away from timing for now. We'll deal with the o2 sensors later also.

Also, you could flip up the drivers seat, look for the diagnostic connector, flip it open, jump termanals E1 and TE1 with a paper clip, turn on the key with engine off, and give me the number of blinks the check engine light flashes.
    Hint: 25&26 are the o2 sensors. Rich/lean.

Edit: FYI, hippie PM'd me with codes 22 & 52. Coolant temp sensor and knock sensor codes.
    After overheating and headgasket failures, these sensors are prone to fail.

Aug 13, 2008, 03:06 PM
    In response to kitch428 :
    Thanks a lot, I will get back with you. =)

Aug 14, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kitch428
    Edit: FYI, hippie PM'd me with codes 22 & 52. Coolant temp sensor and knock sensor codes.
    After overheating and headgasket failures, these sensors are prone to fail.
    I replaced the efi temp sensor and with good results. The 22 code is gone.

Unfortunately the engine is still acting the same and the 52 code is still showing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toyota corolla 2006, engine doesn't engage sometimes the first time [ 14 Answers ]

My 2006 toyota corolla, engine 1.4 cc, sometimes doesn't want to start the first time. Took it to the garage they are saying nothing wrong, the checks they done: no present fault codes, checked air flow meter. They had my car for just over an hour. But the engine still does not want to engage...

Engine light on 2002 Toyota Solara [ 2 Answers ]

I have had an engine light on my 2002 Toyota Solara for a month. I hooked up a scanner to it and got code 446. It appears to be a bad vacuum switching valve. If so, would this affect the running of the engine? Also, if it is a bad vsv, how much do they cost and who sells them?

Toyota celica engine swap [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if the motor mounts from a 93 toyota celica gt and a 95 celica st are the same? I'm looking to swap out the motor and tranny in the st for those of the gt.

Need to identify toyota engine [ 3 Answers ]

I dug out an old toyota engine from my dads garage and I'm trying to figure out what it is. The only code I could find on it is B616 48

1985 Toyota Tercel Engine surges [ 1 Answers ]

My 1985 Toyota Tercel, 1.5 liter 4 cyl, carburetor, surges when the throttle is held steady at about 1200 rpm. It starts well and runs well at other speeds. No smoke or backfire. New plugs and cap, clean egr valve.

View more questions Search