Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennmomoftwo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Light bulb toilet clog
    I have a two year old who got into the bathroom yesterday and flushed a regular light bulb down the toilet.. however the bulb is stick and just out of reach of my hand.. I tried to break it with a hanger and a couple other various things.. much to my dismay they did not work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to unclog the toilet? I was going to try the wet/dry vac tomorrow and see if it can suck it up close enough to grab... and he sprayed clorox all over my room and ruined all of the bedding, carpet and towels in the room. Unfortunalty there is no fix for that...

Thanks

Jenn
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Aug 12, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Ah... 2yo and toilets...

I guess this seems too obvious, but have you tried a plunger? The older type that's just like a suction cup, not the one w/ the extra rubber on the bottom. Maybe any decent suction cup (like the ones that come w/ those hooks attached... ) Should stick even under water.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2008, 09:32 PM
    This is a really tough one. Even breaking the light bulb is going to be tough.

I have an idea of how to break the light bulb, but I'd practice on one first and I'm not sure how well it would work. Actually, I have two ideas:

I'll give you the easier one, but wear goggles and heavy gloves. Use an automatic center punch. There is a couple here: Sears.com
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2008, 05:20 AM
    Why not purchase a closet auger,(see image), bust that sucker up, pull back and retrive the screw base fron the bowl and then flush the rest of the broken glass out into the main? Sound like a plan? Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 05:28 AM
    Light Bulb is lodged inside the trap. Just like Tom said: buy 5' auger. Auger will break the bulb and you flush the remains down the drain. Also you may remove the toilet, flip it over and remove the bulb by hand.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 06:41 AM
    I think you guys might be surprised just how durable a light bulb is when you want it to break although the closet auger stands a chance too. You can also break it thermally. I sometimes cut glass that way. You cause a local hot spot and then cool the spot with a Q-tip dipped in cold water.
    Texas Tom Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Aug 18, 2008, 02:11 PM
    You should NEVER have toxic cleaning solutions where a child can get them. Put child safety latches on the cabinet doors. You are lucky that he did not drink the clorox, or you might be jennmomofone.

Cheers, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 18, 2008, 03:11 PM
    I like the shop vacum, if that doesn't work try the toilet auger, if that doesn't work try a spring loaded center punch. If you can touch the light bulb you should be able to break it with the punch, just push it against the bulb. Should be able to purchase at HD or Lowe's.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Aug 18, 2008, 04:28 PM
    That's what I said in post #3. You said it better with pictures.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Hi guys it looks like the problem is resolved some how and the bulb is gone some where, Jenn has not responded after the first post, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Clog [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter accidentally flushed a maxi pad down the toilet. Will it eventually dissolve or do I have to call a plumber?

Clog toilet [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet will not flush properly. It runs OK for a few days then it clogs,I use a snake and it takes a while to unclog. Then its OK for a while. Can I use a garden hose to maybe unclog it. I have even changed the toilet and it will last for a while then the problems re- occurs. Thank You...

Toilet Clog Below Floor [ 5 Answers ]

Have toilet clog below the floor (I have taken toilet bowl & tank off & have standing yucky water). Have snaked from my utility room (on W end of house) straight through to tub (eastern most fixture) of the ONLY bath. Nothing came out. Toilet is not in line with tub & sink drains (sits about 2...

Toilet Easy Clog [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, don't know a lot about plumbing, but here's the problem. Appreciate any advice:) We have a ranch house with 2 bathrooms. One of the toilets has exhibited very easy clogs for about a year (with not much more than a little tp) and now the other one is as well. Most recently one...

Mystery toilet clog [ 15 Answers ]

A while back, I had to snake out the main drain pipe to the sewer and have since had no draining problems, however last night, one of the two toilets overflowed when my roommate tried to flush it in the middle of the night. She says she didn't put anything odd in there, just got up in the middle...

View more questions Search