Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TerriBabes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 04:04 PM
    How do I remove my black hair dye, without going to the hairdressers?
    Basically i dyed my hair black a couple of months ago, and I am beginning to dislike it!
    i wish to have my hair back to my natural colour, which is light/medium brown.
    How do i get my natural colour back without going to the hair dressers?
    i would appreciate anyones answer!

Please reply as soon as possible. x :)

(The only reason i do not wish to go to the hair dressers is because i am worried it will cost an awful lot to strip my hair)
    KissMe10der Posts: 306, Reputation: 22

Aug 12, 2008, 04:11 PM
    You really can't get all that color off...

A color strip might leave your hair even more damamged.. and might leave you brassy.. which you will have to color again.. but even then it will only lighten your hair a bit...

I would bleach your hair, and then recolor it to the brown you seek. But with bleach its always best to let the cosmetologist do it.. Cause you have to go by levels.. and fill it.
    TerriBabes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KissMe10der
    You really can't get all that color off...

A color strip might leave your hair even more damamged.. and might leave you brassy.. which you will have to color again.. but even then it will only lighten your hair a bit...

What do you meen brassy?
    So if I use like a hair colour correction thing will that make it brassy?
    But if I dye it like my natural colour will it be lighter than it is now?
    I just can't cope with black hair no longer!
    Please help x
    KissMe10der Posts: 306, Reputation: 22

Aug 12, 2008, 07:41 PM
    You can't place go lighter with a darker color underneath.

You will have to bleach.

Brassy is like a yucky yellow.

Is there a natural way to strip hair color?

Read that.
    ScarletSea Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Aug 13, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Like the previous post I'd say bleach your hair then dye it roughly the same colour as your natural colour then leave it... This will damage your hair of course depending on the condition. I wouldn't recommend stripping your hair it doesn't look good. I know a girl who done it lol.
    Yeah, get a friend to help. Bleach is cheap and so is home dye :P Total £15 tops haha. You can get it all in "Sallys" also the staff can help you.

Xx
    kayc123 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarletSea View Post
    Like the previous post I'd say bleach your hair then dye it roughly the same colour as your natural colour then leave it.... This will damage your hair of course depending on the condition. I wouldnt recommend stripping your hair it doesnt look good. I know a girl who done it lol.
    Yeah, get a friend to help. Bleach is cheap and so is home dye :P Total £15 tops haha. You can get it all in "Sallys" also the staff can help you.

xx
    Hi I've never heard of sallys, are u in uk, I'm in west midlands , we have superdrug etc, wilko`s but never heard of sallys,
    manadmchale Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 04:26 PM
    Some hairdressers have a special shampoo that rids the dye from hair. I once dyed my hair black, and after a few months I too was sick of the color. When the hairdresser told me the only thing they could do was strip it I was not happy. Then one of the girls remembered they had this special shampoo that takes dye out. They told me it wouldn't work, but I took the chance and believe it on not MOST of the color came out! I want to say it cost about $40, worth every penny!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2009, 08:27 PM

There are two types of "hair color strippers" (hair color removers). The oxidizing type is gloified bleach -- almost guaranteed to ruin your hair. The reducing type (chemical reducing agent) is the preferred type. It's a sulfur-based reducing agent that smells a lot like permanent wave solution, except it isn't the same. Basically, this "undevelops" the artificial pigment in your hair. It dissolves it so it can be washed out. This is much, much easier on your hair than bleach. Bleach doesn't do a very good job of lightening artificial pigment. It does a fine job on natural pigment.

If you only want to get the hair out so you can get back to a medium to light brown, a reducing type color remover is definitely the preferred way to go. In the UK, the brand of choice is Igora Phantom (formerly Igora Modulat). In the US, you can buy ColorFix, Color Zap, Color Oops, or Color Charm Color Corrector. It's possible that you can find some of these in the UK.

After you remove the artificial pigment, you have to redye the hair the color you wish. Don't expect your hair to reutrn to its natrual color after using color remover. The developer used in all permanent haircolors (hydrogen peroxide) has lightened your natural pigments. Expect it to be a reddish or orangish color. Once you dye over it, you'll have a much more normal color.
    reba3259 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2010, 05:17 PM
    What worked for me was number 10 developer and a biolodge cream deep conditioner, mix 6 oz of developer and 3 oz conditioner, work into hair covering all strands and cover with plastic shower cap and apply heat from a blow dryer leave in 20 to 30 minutes. The conditioner protects the hair from drying. I suggest you do a hair strand test fisrt and time it your hair my require longer than suggested time. You can purchase the developer at Sally's Beauty supplies. Good Luck
    AishlingF Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2011, 04:05 AM
    Wash your hair with washing up liquid for a few weeks and then use head and shoulders or teresme for your conditioner they will lighten your hair in a couple weeks
    samjodude Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2011, 04:20 AM
    Two things.
    1. anti dandruf shampoo get it thick covering your hair, scrub it and leave for like 5- 10 minutes then wash out.
    2. mix shampoo and baking soda, after you've rubbed it through your hair for like 5 minutes leave its in for like 10 minutes, make sure your hair is wet before :) it removes dye and its so healthy for your hair!
    bain1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2011, 09:37 PM
    You can mix bicarb soda with your shampoo once a week for a couple of weeks to lighten your hair.
    Or
    A good way of lightening it without bleaching it is mixing half powdered vitamin c and half shampoo and leaving for 30-40 minutes this should lighten it a fair bit.

I'm also told that diet coke works, but haven't tried this. As a hair dresser, I can personally say that nothing you do is going to get it back to the way it was without bleaching or chemically reducing your hair. Which is very drying.
    If you want to go lighter, but do it so it doesn't ruin your hai too muc, you are best to do it ver a period
    miss_creasy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2011, 09:53 AM
    olive oil, fairy liquid and using head and shoulders all strip the colour if you leave them on for a few minutes while washing your hair but it won't remove it completely but gradually depending on how often you wash your hair and how many washes you give it but it will make a different is effective too and above all else it doesn't leave your hair damaged like bleach and those nasty colour strippers :) hope all works out for you x
    jess123uk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2011, 10:41 AM
    Hi, I have also been dying my hair black and I have noticed that the shampoo called HEAD AND SHOULDERS, or, PANTENE,are good at stripping the coulers from your hair,
    ladydomino Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2012, 03:14 PM
    I was in the same position as you. Bear with the colour for a little while and when you wash it use fairy liquid instead of shampoo, its harsher on your hair and strips colour slightly, but as long as you condition afterwards it won't do any damage. Once you've gotten to a lighter shade DO NOT bleach it unless you want to be bright ginger and have dead hair, instead strip it. Despite all the bad stories stripping hair dye is simple and doesn't kill your hair,trust me! After this you should be brown, but using a kind-to-hair dye on top of this will give it a healthier look and will nourish your hair just like new.
    You can believe all of this, I've done it myself and bleaching was one of my biggest mistakes ever. X
    mackenzielouise Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2012, 08:20 PM
    My hair is black as well, and I've bleached it before and it didn't do anything but beach the roots. I would suggest getting it stripped even though it might damage your hair a lot.
    Spoiledstarr89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2014, 12:42 PM
    Bleaching your hair is going to dry it out really bad. If you want to strip it but don't want to dry it out really bad you can wash your hair in Tide Laundry Detergant. You can also use Dawn Dish Soap (Blue) Also Soak your in 3 TBSP ground cinnamon and 4 TBSP of Conditioner 3x a week! Leave it in over night and it really fades the color A LOT!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Remove black hair dye questions [ 2 Answers ]

I have dyed my hair black from its original dark brown color. I used a demi permanate colorer IT LOOKS GOTHIC! I need it out; And I'm scared that if I put bleach in it will go white! Does it? And how does this hot oil treatment work, and what does it do? Answers are very very veryyy much...

How to remove the black hair dye? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everybody, I'd like to know if anybody had used the color remover of L'Oreal - Effasol? Is it damaging your hair too much? Thanks

How should I remove the black dye from my hair? [ 3 Answers ]

I was born with naturally black hair, but over the years, I've dyed it several different shades of brown. After a while, I dyed it back to black because I wanted a change. It ended up being way too dark, so then after, I tried dying it back brown twice. The 1st time, it turned reddish, after that...

How to remove black hair dye from hair [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hi there I am natalie from the uk and wanted to know if there are any home remedies for removing, or really fading black hair dye from hair, I am naturally red and am about to go on holiday next week to the canaries, and did not want red regrowth, so I am wanting a quick and easy...

How to remove black hair dye [ 4 Answers ]

I need some advice my natural hair color is dark brown. I have about ten years dying my hair black. And I have used bleach before and got it blonde. But bleach damaged my hair. I have my hair black again and want to remove the color without bleach or other damaging chemicals. Please tell me...

View more questions Search