Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 12, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Republicans are crossing party lines to support Obama!
    The Associated Press: Today on the presidential campaign trail

Former GOP Rep. Leach of Iowa endorses Obama

"DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Former Rep. Jim Leach, a leading Republican moderate with a foreign policy background, endorsed Democrat Barack Obama for president.

The former Iowa congressman's announced his support on Tuesday as part of a group of GOP activists crossing party lines this year.

Leach told reporters on a conference call: "I'm convinced that the national interest demands a new approach to our interaction with the world." He said Obama offers the leadership to do that. He also predicted that a lot of Republicans and independents are going to be attracted by Obama's campaign.

Leach lost his bid for another term in office in 2006. He was a foreign service officer before being elected to Congress.

His endorsement came as the campaign planned to launch a new Web site to get Republicans to vote for Obama.

Organizers say their goal is not to raise campaign cash for him, but outline the differences between his Republican rival John McCain and the Illinois Democrat. Its Web address will be announced in the next couple days.
    "

McCain started shaky with the Conservatives and now the moderate Republican base looses faith?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Obama gets Leach; McCain gets Clintons. Even?

Aug 12, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Did you see or hear from Bill during Hillary's campaign? A train wreck! He's going to be sleeping on the couch for months. Losing a Clinton is addition by subtraction. :)
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 11:49 AM
    I'll trade you leech for Leiberman and I'll throw in Chuck Hagel as a freebee.

Aug 12, 2008, 01:49 PM
    What is this, "Deal or No Deal?" I'm starting to feel like Howie Mandel. Ok. The Joe Lieberman for Jim Leach is done. Banker says "Deal." :)
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 02:45 PM
    "The moderate Republican base" consists of one guy?

Aug 12, 2008, 03:38 PM
    You really should get to know all the factions that make up your own Republican party: Religious right, Social conservatives, Fiscal conservatives, Neoconservatives, National security Oriented, States' rights oriented, Paleoconservatives, Libertarian conservatives, Moderates and Liberals.

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Moderate Republicans include U.S. Senator Arlen Specter (Pennsylvania), Californian Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell, former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani and former Governor of New Jersey Thomas Kean Sr. Members of some of the other factions sometimes characterize moderates as "Republican In Name Only". The Republican Main Street Partnership is a network supporting moderate Republicans for office, while the Republican Leadership Council is similar in direction. Former New Jersey Governor Christie Todd Whitman founded the "It's My Party Too!" PAC in order to promote moderate Republicans for office. The Republican Majority for Choice is a PAC of and for pro-choice Republicans, and is often allied with the moderate branch of the party. Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader and 1996 Presidential nominee Bob Dole has supported the "Main Street" Republicans."

Ike's Granddaughter Calls Obama 'Future of America' - The Washington Independent - U.S. news and politics - washingtonindependent.com

"In many ways Eisenhower and Republicans like her are at a pivotal moment. They can see a new chance for relevancy should Obama win, for they could then become part of a new majority coalition. This could be an amalgam, similar to the one Ronald Reagan put together with his win in 1980 -- when Democrats, frustrated with President Jimmy Carter, helped forge the Reagan Revolution."

Republicans for Obama (And Against McCain)

"The newly announced group of "Republicans for Obama" hope to have a more lasting impact. They certainly have a higher profile than McCain's Democratic defectors (other than top surrogate and possible veep Joe Lieberman). Organizers on a conference call this morning included former Iowa Congressman Jim Leach, former Rhode Island Senator Lincoln Chafee and Rita Hauser, a member of President Bush's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board. The Republican Mayor of Fairbanks, Alaska also endorsed Obama today. (There's an already existing Republicans for Obama website founded by John Martin, a Navy reservist who served in Afghanistan and lives in The Bronx.)

These so-called "Obamicans"--throwbacks to the days of traditional Republicanism--are disgusted by the Bush Administration's militant foreign policy, reckless spending and cronyism at home, and America's plummeting reputation in the world. In John McCain, they no longer see a maverick, but a continuation of the Bush-Cheney era.
    "

Obama-cans Unite - The Caucus - Politics - New York Times Blog

"Led by a former Bush fund-raiser and a former U.S. Senator who bolted the G.O.P. several years ago, a group of current and former Republicans disenchanted with Senator John McCain and supportive of Senator Barack Obama are banding together to start a “Republicans for Obama” effort.

Rita Hauser, a New York philanthropist who raised money for both George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush, is helping to organize the push to draw Republicans away from Mr. McCain and will serve as a spokeswoman for the group, alongside former U.S. Senator Lincoln Chafee, of Rhode Island, who was one of the most moderate Republicans in the Senate and became an independent after he lost his seat in 2006.

Ms. Hauser served as a finance chairwoman in New York for George W. Bush in 2000 and was a member of the President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board during his first term, but she endorsed Senator John F. Kerry in 2004, because of her opposition to the Iraq War.

Ms. Hauser said she was motivated to support the presumed Democratic nominee, Mr. Obama, again by her feelings on Iraq. But she said others in the group were driven by other issues.

About 20 current and former Republicans make up the group's leadership committee, including Douglas Kmiec, a Republican who served in the Justice Department under President Ronald Reagan and was a supporter of Mitt Romney during the Republican primary, and Dorothy Danforth Burlin, a Washington lawyer who is the daughter of former U.S. Senator John Danforth, another moderate Republican.
    "

Black Republicans consider voting for Obama - USATODAY.com

"Presented with the first major black presidential candidate, several prominent black conservatives consider Obama's candidacy: Rep. J.C. Watts, R-Okla., commentator Armstrong Williams, former secretary of state Colin Powell, former Sen. Edward W. Brooke, R-Mass.

Black conservative talk show host Armstrong Williams has never voted for a Democrat for president. That could change this year with Barack Obama as the Democratic Party's nominee.

"I don't necessarily like his policies; I don't like much that he advocates, but for the first time in my life, history thrusts me to really seriously think about it," Williams said. "I can honestly say I have no idea who I'm going to pull that lever for in November. And to me, that's incredible."

Just as Obama has touched black Democratic voters, he has engendered conflicting emotions among black Republicans who are far fewer in numbers. They revel over the possibility of a black president but wrestle with the thought that Obama does not sit beside them ideologically.

"Among black conservatives," Williams said, "they tell me privately, it would be very hard to vote against him in November."
    "
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Aug 12, 2008, 03:38 PM
    One guy and a "former" at that! Of course, that is AP reporting, you realize.

Aug 12, 2008, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    One guy and a "former" at that! Of course, that is AP reporting, you realize.
    Leach served 30 years as a Republican member of the United States House of Representatives from 1977 to 2007. THIRTY YEARS! All right Galveston same goes for you. Sit down next to Steve, get out your pencil, big chief tablet, and start taking notes.

You really should get to know all the factions that make up your own Republican party: Religious right, Social conservatives, Fiscal conservatives, Neoconservatives, National security Oriented, States' rights oriented, Paleoconservatives, Libertarian conservatives, Moderates and Liberals.

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Moderate Republicans include U.S. Senator Arlen Specter (Pennsylvania), Californian Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell, former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani and former Governor of New Jersey Thomas Kean Sr. Members of some of the other factions sometimes characterize moderates as "Republican In Name Only". The Republican Main Street Partnership is a network supporting moderate Republicans for office, while the Republican Leadership Council is similar in direction. Former New Jersey Governor Christie Todd Whitman founded the "It's My Party Too!" PAC in order to promote moderate Republicans for office. The Republican Majority for Choice is a PAC of and for pro-choice Republicans, and is often allied with the moderate branch of the party. Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader and 1996 Presidential nominee Bob Dole has supported the "Main Street" Republicans."

Ike's Granddaughter Calls Obama 'Future of America' - The Washington Independent - U.S. news and politics - washingtonindependent.com

"In many ways Eisenhower and Republicans like her are at a pivotal moment. They can see a new chance for relevancy should Obama win, for they could then become part of a new majority coalition. This could be an amalgam, similar to the one Ronald Reagan put together with his win in 1980 -- when Democrats, frustrated with President Jimmy Carter, helped forge the Reagan Revolution."

Republicans for Obama (And Against McCain)

"The newly announced group of "Republicans for Obama" hope to have a more lasting impact. They certainly have a higher profile than McCain's Democratic defectors (other than top surrogate and possible veep Joe Lieberman). Organizers on a conference call this morning included former Iowa Congressman Jim Leach, former Rhode Island Senator Lincoln Chafee and Rita Hauser, a member of President Bush's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board. The Republican Mayor of Fairbanks, Alaska also endorsed Obama today. (There's an already existing Republicans for Obama website founded by John Martin, a Navy reservist who served in Afghanistan and lives in The Bronx.)

These so-called "Obamicans"--throwbacks to the days of traditional Republicanism--are disgusted by the Bush Administration's militant foreign policy, reckless spending and cronyism at home, and America's plummeting reputation in the world. In John McCain, they no longer see a maverick, but a continuation of the Bush-Cheney era.
    "

Obama-cans Unite - The Caucus - Politics - New York Times Blog

"Led by a former Bush fund-raiser and a former U.S. Senator who bolted the G.O.P. several years ago, a group of current and former Republicans disenchanted with Senator John McCain and supportive of Senator Barack Obama are banding together to start a “Republicans for Obama” effort.

Rita Hauser, a New York philanthropist who raised money for both George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush, is helping to organize the push to draw Republicans away from Mr. McCain and will serve as a spokeswoman for the group, alongside former U.S. Senator Lincoln Chafee, of Rhode Island, who was one of the most moderate Republicans in the Senate and became an independent after he lost his seat in 2006.

Ms. Hauser served as a finance chairwoman in New York for George W. Bush in 2000 and was a member of the President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board during his first term, but she endorsed Senator John F. Kerry in 2004, because of her opposition to the Iraq War.

Ms. Hauser said she was motivated to support the presumed Democratic nominee, Mr. Obama, again by her feelings on Iraq. But she said others in the group were driven by other issues.

About 20 current and former Republicans make up the group's leadership committee, including Douglas Kmiec, a Republican who served in the Justice Department under President Ronald Reagan and was a supporter of Mitt Romney during the Republican primary, and Dorothy Danforth Burlin, a Washington lawyer who is the daughter of former U.S. Senator John Danforth, another moderate Republican.
    "

Black Republicans consider voting for Obama - USATODAY.com

"Presented with the first major black presidential candidate, several prominent black conservatives consider Obama's candidacy: Rep. J.C. Watts, R-Okla., commentator Armstrong Williams, former secretary of state Colin Powell, former Sen. Edward W. Brooke, R-Mass.

Black conservative talk show host Armstrong Williams has never voted for a Democrat for president. That could change this year with Barack Obama as the Democratic Party's nominee.

"I don't necessarily like his policies; I don't like much that he advocates, but for the first time in my life, history thrusts me to really seriously think about it," Williams said. "I can honestly say I have no idea who I'm going to pull that lever for in November. And to me, that's incredible."

Just as Obama has touched black Democratic voters, he has engendered conflicting emotions among black Republicans who are far fewer in numbers. They revel over the possibility of a black president but wrestle with the thought that Obama does not sit beside them ideologically.

"Among black conservatives," Williams said, "they tell me privately, it would be very hard to vote against him in November."
    "
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    You really should get to know all the factions that make up your own Republican party
    And perhaps you should check your math. One, or even a few dissenters does not constitute an entire faction.
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Steve ;wait a minute . Now Lincoln Chafee that stalwart RINO is also on the list! It's a tidal wave!!
    AFP: 'Republicans for Obama' take fight to McCain
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Steve ;wait a minute . Now Lincoln Chafee that stalwart RINO is also on the list !! It's a tidal wave !!!!
    AFP: 'Republicans for Obama' take fight to McCain
    LOL, look out McCain, the Messiah now has three GOP supporters. Who's next, Charlie Crist?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Welcome to Republicans for Obama | Republicans for Obama

republicans for obama - Google Search
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Wow that's an impressive group of no names !
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 09:02 AM
    wow that's an impressive group of no names !
    You mean like Barbara Gordon - whose real name is Lisa?

Here, NK, you can buy your Democrats for McCain bumper sticker here.

NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 09:09 AM
    wow that's an impressive group of no names !
    Their names are of no importance, their votes are however.

Aug 13, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    "The moderate Republican base" consists of one guy?
    That's what you implied. I demonstrated otherwise.

And perhaps you should check your math. One, or even a few dissenters does not constitute an entire faction.
    My math computation tells me that you'll run out of fingers and toes long before November.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Their names are of no importance, their votes are however.
    NK- With the exception of Joe Lieberman, more well know Republicans are voting Obama, than Democrats voting McCain.

Republicans For Obama , The Nation: "Obamicans" Are Throwbacks To The Days Of Traditional Republicanism - CBS News

"In June the McCain campaign released a list of "prominent Democrats and Independents" supporting John McCain. Few of the names were prominent, and a review by the Huffington Post found that more than half of the list had "either obvious ties to the Republican Party or are regularly touted by GOP politicians as Democratic defectors."

The newly announced group of "Republicans for Obama" hope to have a more lasting impact. They certainly have a higher profile than McCain's Democratic defectors (other than top surrogate and possible veep Joe Lieberman). Organizers on a conference call this morning included former Iowa Congressman Jim Leach, former Rhode Island Senator Lincoln Chafee and Rita Hauser, a member of President Bush's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board. The Republican Mayor of Fairbanks, Alaska also endorsed Barack Obama today. (There's an already existing Republicans for Obama website founded by John Martin, a Navy reservist who served in Afghanistan and lives in The Bronx.)

These so-called "Obamicans" -- throwbacks to the days of traditional Republicanism -- are disgusted by the Bush Administration's militant foreign policy, reckless spending and cronyism at home, and America's plummeting reputation in the world. In John McCain, they no longer see a maverick, but a continuation of the Bush-Cheney era.

"From my perspective, this is simply not a time for politics as usual," said Jim Leach, one of the smartest and most decent members of the House of Representatives, who represented eastern Iowa for three decades until 2006 and was one of only six House Republicans to presciently oppose the war in Iraq. "The case for inspiring, new political leadership and a social ethic has seldom been more self-evident."

Adds Leach: "Barack Obama's platform is a call for change. But the change that he is so gracefully articulating is more renewal than departure. While a break from the ideological policies of the moment, it is rooted in very old American values that are as much a part of the Republican as the Democratic tradition. There's an emphasis on individual rights, fairness and balance at home, and progressive internationalism."

Says Rita Hauser, "It is not traditional Republicanism to make war on everybody who disagree with you." The longtime foreign policy hand called McCain's response to the Russia-Georgia conflict "bellicose [and] threatening."

Like Leach, Lincoln Chafee is a reminder of the days when moderates could find a home in the Republican Party as advocates for fiscal responsibility, environmental protection and restraint in foreign policy. Chafee left the Republican Party in March to vote for Obama in Rhode Island's Democratic primary. He was the first Democrat Chafee had ever voted for.

Chafee served alongside McCain in the Senate; they were the only two Senate Republicans to oppose the Bush tax cuts in 2001. Chafee has since watched McCain adopt the very policies he once denounced. "Seeing the two different John McCain's is a fracture in his credibility," Chafee says.

How big of an impact this group will have remains to be seen. Obama performed well in traditionally Republican areas in the Democratic primary and attracted legions of "Obamicans" in swing areas like Doylestown, Pennsylvania. Yet partisanship has hardened since the primary has ended (usually the opposite occurs), with both Obama and McCain now drawing 90 percent support from self-identified members of their parties.

Both candidates have attempted to encroach on the other party's turf. McCain has made a bid for disaffected Clintonites, and elderly and blue-collar Democrats. Obama has courted moderate and suburban Republicans in swing states like Virginia and libertarians out West. It only takes a few points here or there to alter the election.

Hauser says the "Republicans for Obama" website will be online tomorrow and will include "a couple of hundred thousand names. We hope it will grow exponentially as we go through the campaign."
    "

Anybody ever wonder why some of the Republican Anglos in the US don't want to learn a second language? It's because they are still trying to comprehend English. The idiot's guide to pronouncing "nuclear" and other difficult words (satire). Nuclear. Note that there is no "U" between the "C" and the "L." That's an interesting clue to the correct pronunciation, and the more witty among us have figured out that it means the "C" and "L" should be pronounced together, as in the word, "CLEAR." Of course, if you're an idiot, you might pronounce "CLEAR" as "Cue-Ler" in which case your mental capacity is so seriously limited that you only qualify as a registered voter. :)

Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    That's what you implied. I demonstrated otherwise.
    I thought I had asked a question, easily identifiable by the question mark (?) at the end of the sentence. :rolleyes:

My math computation tells me that you'll run out of fingers and toes long before November.
    Thank goodness I have you to help me keep track, eh? Three guys and Barbara Gordon - whose real name is Lisa - how many is that? Four? Word is The Messiah's camp is trying to get Colin Powell to announce his endorsement at the convention. It'll be interesting to see how Obama explains his enthusiastic acceptance of that warmonger's endorsement to his base?

Aug 14, 2008, 03:55 PM
    I thought I had asked a question, easily identifiable by the question mark (?) at the end of the sentence. :rolleyes:
    A statement cloaked with question mark at the end of a sentence is still a statement. Though I do have one punctuation tip for you, i.e. use ?!.

Thank goodness I have you to help me keep track, eh? Three guys and Barbara Gordon - whose real name is Lisa - how many is that? Four? Word is The Messiah's camp is trying to get Colin Powell to announce his endorsement at the convention. It'll be interesting to see how Obama explains his enthusiastic acceptance of that warmonger's endorsement to his base?

Seven high profiled Reps contributors (with Eisenhower's daughter), that's going to provide refuge for a multitude Republicans that were sorely led astray by BeelzeBush. And BTW that doesn't include the four Black Reps and a slew of other highly known moderate Reps that may come on board yet. Colin Powell, which according to FOX news, more-than-likely will endorse Obama. That must really peeve off the false prophets down at McCain campaign headquarters. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the connection between Obama and the Communist Party? [ 11 Answers ]

Because mainstream media refuses to reveal these things, they are now being brought out in the open for ALL to see by other groups. What does this mean for America? What does it mean for the future of this country? Why are these IMPORTANT News Being suppressed by the media? Citizens have a Right...

Why is Obama losing support? [ 53 Answers ]

It appears that more and more voters (about half) in different states are now saying they would not vote for Obama in November if he becomes the eventual nominee. Um, I wonder why that is? Is he losing his once popular touch on people or are people finally seeing through him to see the real him...

For all you Republicans out there, Aesop's fable updated [ 6 Answers ]

The Ant and The Grasshopper (old and new) OLD VERSION: The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, Building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and Plays the summer away. Come winter, the ant is...

So, you think Republicans are dishonest. [ 23 Answers ]

Recently, Donald C. Shields, from the University of Missouri-St. Louis, and John F. Cragan, from Illinois State University, accounted for all of the public officials investigated by all U.S. attorneys across the country. They found that under the Bush administration, for every one Republican...

Republicans are the party of morality? [ 30 Answers ]

Oops another sex scandal: The Raw Story | Wisconsin GOP chair faces charges in enticement of teenage boy To add to the others: Republican County Constable Larry Dale Floyd was arrested on suspicion of soliciting sex with an 8-year old girl. Floyd has repeatedly won elections for Denton...

View more questions Search