Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    employer_help Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Employee Cashed Incorrect paycheck - overpayment
    I am a small-business employer and accidentally overpaid an employee on her last check $360 (about 40% more then she should have received). Payday was Friday. On Monday I found the error. The check has not cleared my bank yet so I put a stop-payment on it. I called her and she told me she cashed the check at Wal-Mart on Friday night and she already has the money. I told her the money is not hers and she needs to pay the money back. She laughed and said she already spent it but she would "try to repay if she ever had extra money". The employee was a manager for us but did not show up for her last shift so we are not on good terms. I am in Texas.

My questions are:

• What is her obligation to repay the amount?
    • Can you point me to the supporting law?
    • If she refuses to repay the amount should this be handled in Small Claims Court or through another agency?
    • Who will Wal-Mart go after when the check is stopped by my bank; me or the employee that cashed it?

Thanks for your help!
    Thinker2255 Posts: 37, Reputation: 0

Aug 11, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by employer_help
    I am a small-business employer and accidentally overpaid an employee on her last check $360 (about 40% more then she should have received). Payday was Friday. On Monday I found the error. The check has not cleared my bank yet so I put a stop-payment on it. I called her and she told me she cashed the check at Wal-Mart on Friday night and she already has the money. I told her the money is not hers and she needs to pay the money back. She laughed and said she already spent it but she would "try to repay if she ever had extra money". The employee was a manager for us but did not show up for her last shift so we are not on good terms. I am in Texas.

My questions are:

• What is her obligation to repay the amount?
    • Can you point me to the supporting law?
    • If she refuses to repay the amount should this be handled in Small Claims Court or through another agency?
    • Who will Wal-Mart go after when the check is stopped by my bank; me or the employee that cashed it?

Thanks for your help!
    You are, in a sense, screwed. It was your error in over paying her and she has no legal obligation to pay you back the money you paid her. You can try to find a loophole or some legal way around it by contacting a lawyer but I don't think your going to get anywhere. If your wondering how I know this my brother is a lawyer (just wanted to throw that in there so you don't think I'm some guy talking out of his rear end).
    In terms of who Walmart will go after I would be lying if I told you I knew the answer to that. But I'm assuming they will end up going after you.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Walmart would go after the person who cashed the check.
    Is the employee still working for your company? If they were still working for you and you stopped payment on the check that was wrong of you to do this since it was your error. You should have taken the overpayment out of the employees next check.
    I worked for several companies who accidentally overpaid employees and they would have not stopped payment on their checks. They just notified the employees that their paychecks were in error by X amount of dollars and that the money would be taken out in their next paycheck. You must pay an employee their wages. Why would you cancel or stop payment on a paycheck?
    lwelch Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

Aug 23, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Notify her in writing of the mistake and deduct the difference from her final paycheck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2008, 05:38 PM
    You weren't wrong in stopping the check, but deducting it from the next paycheck would have been the better course of action. Walmart will only go after the employee. They are the one who presented the check.

One question, did you immediately issue a corrected check? If you didn't that could get you in trouble. Even if the employee didn't come pick it up you should have immediately reissued it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salaried Exempy Employee paycheck docked 1 week pay for arriving 5 hours late [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, A friend and former colleague's paycheck was docked 1 week of pay (approx $2,000) for arriving at work 5 hours late due to car problems. She is a salaried exempt employee in the state of Connecticut. She receives 4 weeks vacation each year, and has over 2 weeks of accrued, unused...

Working as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time [ 2 Answers ]

Can you work for the same employer at the same time as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time. Example selling insurance at an agency getting paid on w-2 for the clerical work and 1099 as for the commission on sales of the insurance from the same desk?

Truck driver Lives paycheck to paycheck, do you relate? [ 9 Answers ]

I am an over the road truck driver now and I Live check to check, bad credit, No savings. Overwhelming bills with constant calls you avoid, rent, insurance,mouths to feed,past due on owed taxes, past due car tabs, car payment that has upside down loan, so I cannot sell the car.. I pay most...

401k overpayment [ 1 Answers ]

I received a letter from a company I left in July 2004 about paying back money put into a 401k plan. A paragraph reads: Based on your date of Hire of 1/2/02 and your date of termination Of July 31, 2004, you were credited with 3 years service. YOur vested percentage was forty percent and your...

View more questions Search