Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Business Tax Credit for Tuition Reimbursement
    I've scoured Google with no luck... I'm hoping someone here can help.

The company I work for currently reimburses employees for tuition expenses up to $2500/year. Someone recently mentioned the tax benefit for the company is the same if they offer up to $5000/year reimbursement. Can anyone verify this? Apaprently the $2500/year is an old policy, so it's possible the laws have been updated since. The company is in VA, and we have about 260 employees.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 12, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Refer to Chapter 11 of IRS Pub 970 for details.

The amount of educational reimbursements that can be excluded from your income is capped at $5,250.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Thanks! :)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reimbursement of an extra tip on a cusmer's credit card [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everybody, I work as a waitress in a restaurant, where gratuity is included. Recently I got into trouble when one of my customers called the restaurant asking for his extra tip 100 $ back (after 3 months!! ). Because he gave me the extra tip on his company's credit card, the company refused...

Tax on tuition reimbursement [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have been asked to repay the tuition reimbursement I received from my past employer. It is around $8,000.00 and received over a period of 4 years. As I left the employer, I have been asked to repay the loan. So, it is effectively becoming my tuition expenses. Will I be able to claim credit...

Tuition tax credit for dependent collage age child [ 2 Answers ]

My son's tuition is paid through Federal student loans (from the FAFSA program). Can we enter the tuition paid on our joint tax return because he is a dependent? We did not actually pay any tuition though, it was all covered through loans. We did pay for his books though.

From OPT to H1B, about tuition tax credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I hold F1 from 1/1/2006 to 6/14/2006, then OPT to 11/26/2006, then H1B to end of the year, I wonder can I file as a resident? From 1040 instrction, it seems that I can not because I can not pass the presence test, but it is said that if my status was changed to H1 before 12/1/2006, I have...

View more questions Search