Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chemmom Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Drinking from a baby bottle
    My little girl is 16 months and still drinks from a bottle. She knows how to drink from a sippy cup, a glass, and a water bottle but refuses to give up the baby bottle. I know I'm to blame for this, but I need to know what I should do to eradicate the bottle completely before she turns 2. I've tried going cold-turkey with her but I always give in and give her the bottle. I'm afraid she'll dehydrate because she refuses to drink from anything else. Please help. :confused:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 11, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Throw away the bottles, you can't give in if you don't have any. Now, make it a game for her, let her throw away the bottles. Have a talk with her, tell her that she is a big girl and big girls don't drink from bottles. Have her throw them away.

Before you do this, buy some new sippy cups. When she goes to sleep after throwing the bottles away, hang the new sippy cups from a tree in your yard, she will be amazed and excited when she wakes up to find the new cups.

Aug 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Then how do I give her her milk when she first wakes up in the morning? How do I put her down for her nap? I can only put her down for a nap with bottle. I have to do the same thing at bedtime. Please help!
    Expert

Aug 11, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Never ever give a baby a bottle of milk or formula when laying them down. This not only causes cavities in the teeth, but is a big cause of inner ear infections. Bottles in bed, if you really think you need them, should only be filled with water.

If you feel you can't get her to go to bed or nap without a bottle, she'll never give it up. You have to be the parent here and take them away as you see fit. My children were all weaned by 12 months, my niece by 8 months.

It's a struggle the first few nights, but she will get over it.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Some people try different things as different ideas work for different children... cutting the nipples (without her seeing of course) and showing her that the bottles are "broken" so they need to be thrown away. Telling her that new babies need the bottles and having your child pick out new sippy cups for big girls... J_9's idea of cups in the tree is a cute one to try!

She likely will fuss and be upset for a bit (and you will feel badly about it too!) but she will get used to it... acknowledge her frustration, but don't give in... keep it matter of fact, no drama... it is what it is and try to engage her in another activity.

You definitely do not want to set a precident of giving in when it is something you want her to change. This will only encourage her to keep fussing since she will learn that it will work... eventually.
    kellylynn Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Aug 14, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Maybe you could try to only give her water in a bottle at night time, nap time, whatever. If she refuses to drink it tell her she can have milk but only if she drinks it out of a "big girl" sippy cup. Also you could try throwing the bottles away like someone else said. I took my son off the bottle at 11 months & threw them all away. I knew if I threw them away that I wouldn't give in because I am VERY bad with giving in to him too. It will hurt you a lot & stress you to hear her cry but she will not dehydrate. If you keep a sippy around & she is thirsty enough she will drink it eventually. Every step you try with a child is going to be difficult & us moms are very tender hearted so it makes it hard but you have to be strong!!
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 14, 2008, 12:26 PM
    My mom alwas says. Take it away, when she is thirsty enough she'll drink out of whatever she can. Good Luck. Don't give in, you have her dental health to be concerned about.

Aug 15, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Well, the problem isn't so much with me anymore. I know I can pretty much not give in to her. My problem is my husband and mother. They both think I'm being cruel and they say she will give it up on her own. Therefore, I'm not getting any support there. So what am I suppose to do? Also, she only has two bottom teeth, so I'm not worried about her dental health yet. She seems to be a slow teether. I have tried cutting off the nipple and it seemed to have worked but I have yet to throw all the bottles away. Any more suggestions?
    Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 11:19 AM
    You should still be worried about the teeth. The cavities can form before the teeth erupt.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Since you have cut the nipples, and it seems to have worked, throw them all away. She will perhaps fuss a few days, but in all likelihood that will be the end of it. Give her something else as a comfort item. Many of us have something that soothes us or makes us feel better when we are tired or had a rough day... kids sometimes need that too. Could be a stuffed animal, special blanket, a snuggle with you while you read her a story as part of a new bedtime routine.
    As J_9 said, teeth can be damaged without seeing evidence of it right away, and the condition of their baby teeth can effect the condition of their permanent teeth. Make an appointment with a pediatric dentist, wise for her to be seen now anyway, and they will give you plenty of info on the topic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to start bottle feed and some baby food for my 5month old son [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my baby is 5month old and only on breast feed; he is having lack of sleep as he gets up in every 30mins to 1 hour for milk in night. As I spoke to doc he asked me to start 1-2 time bottle feed as breast milk is not enough for him, I tried my best to feed him with bottle (formula and pumped...

Off the bottle [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 13 month old daughter who is still on the bottle. She is a little over weight for her age and height. And I was ordered by her doctor to get her off the bottle by the time she is 15 months. I've tried countless times to get her off, but it just seems impossible! I know I have a few more...

Weaning my 2 why.o. Son off the bottle. [ 6 Answers ]

My son just turned 2 and I know its time to start weaning him off the bottle. He prefers to have a bottle than eat food. He has a bottle for nap & bedtime, and would drink milk all day if I let him. I have tried giving him milk in a sippy cup & he won't drink it, throws the cup on the floor and...

My dog ate a bottle cap [ 1 Answers ]

I think my dog ate a bottle cap. What should be done?:confused:

Baby bottle decay or not [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I have a 21month old baby girl. We have just this week noticed a small brownish yellow stain on her tooth. She has been on a lot of steroids, and I don't know if it is from her medicines or if it is decay from milk or juice. Her enamel on her teeth does not look thick, it actually looks...

View more questions Search